Dzibilchaltun -vs- Uxmal

parentsof5

DZ is historicaly a very interesting ruins with a world class musuem. The museum has recently been closed for remodeling and I am not sure if it has reopened. I have been to Uxmal once before and will be going back in December with AutoProgreso. It is much larger and developed than DZ. But no where near as crowded as Chichen Itza.

You really need to look at Sarg Shultz's posting and all his photos. They convinced me that we need to go to Uxmal and will in a couple of weeks. His links are at http://www.zydecocruiser.com/Blog_2009/prog/indexProg.htm and if you scroll around his awesome site you will see photos of Chichen Itza too from a recent trip.

I've been to both. Both are very good. I did prefer Uxmal though. There were more ruins there and a little bit more of a "wow" factor. I really enjoyed climbing the ruins at both sites :)

however if drive time is a consideration uxmal is 1.5 hours away and Dz. is only 30 minutes away.

You will enjoy whichever site you go to.

Uxmal was definitely Wow! Our guide (see my post) asked why Uxmal, and I told him we wanted to see something grand. Now, he said the DZ and flamingo tour was good, too, but due to the smaller size of DZ, I would have wondered what I had missed. I would go back to Uxmal again.

Dzibilchaltun is fine for a mild 'taste' of the Mayans, and the cenote is a draw, resulting in crowds on cruise ship days. The museum being closed is a drawback, and so I would suggest Uxmal, with a stop at an hacienda on the way or even a small cenote for a swim - guaranteed that no one will be there but you... :)

We toured Dzib this summer through AutoProgreso and for us, it was great. Hardly any other people there except the 25 of so on our tour. Our guide acclimated us to the spot then we got to set out on our own and explore. Have not been to the other ruins but we weighed the fact that Dzib was close enough that it gave us plenty of time to see some of Progreso.

Would like a comparison, if anyone has been to both. Trying to decide which one to go to.

Been to both. Liked them both. But there really is no comparison. Uxmal is a definite winner. Dzbilchaltun is nice and the cenote is refreshing.

Archived