Egypt - Please share cruise experiences

jmlh

We have finally decided to do a holiday in Egypt next fall. The companies that we think we like best are Right Travel (N.J.) or Scenic tours. Has anyone had any experience in Egypt with either of these? If so, would you recommend one or the other or continue to keep looking? Thanks for any advice - going to Egypt has been on my bucket list for a long time and it appears it will now happen!:)

We took Tauck's Egypt/Jordan tour with a 3-day Nile cruise last November. It was just wonderful!!! They also have a tour to Egypt with a 4-day Nile cruise. They use an A&K boat the Nile Adventurer as well as top hotels. Take a look at their website!

Sheila

JMHL, we leave Wednesday so can't actually report on our trip - YET..... but I will when we get back (Nov 12)

We have booked the 15 day tour with 7 night Nile cruise and 2 days on the Red Sea in Hurghada with Gate 1. The prices are quite reasonable and include airfare from NY. The tours are extra but we liked that as we could pick and choose which ones we wanted. Many people do some areas on their own (such as Luxors Karnak temple) since they are close and easy to do. Have pretty much only read good reviews and think you might like what you see if you check them out. They are a large company and have tours all over the world.

This is our 30th anniversary trip and definately has been on dh's bucket list too !

Thanks to you both for your input. Tauck looks wonderful but I think the prices may be a bit more than we wanted to pay. Will look forward to a review of Gate 1!!

Does anyone else have any advice for us?

Just compare each company you check out with all the included and all not included items when you look at the prices. You should also put Egypt in the Search mode at the top of this River/Canal Cruising and go to the Ports of Call section of Cruise Critic for Egypt.

Sheila

This is the only river cruise I've been on to date and thus the only one I can comment on with any source of background knowledge. We went with Insight Tours a part of the same group as Uniworld and had the best holiday imaginable. We took the "Jewels of the Nile" holiday that included cruises on both Lake Nasser and the Nile. I could not imagine a better way to see Egypt. We travelled in early April and the weather (temperatures) was very good. I could go on for hours about all the great things we saw and did and how we discovered that "Mummy Tummy" is much more feared than actually occurs. If I can be of any help please feel free to contact me via email at rodmky@optusnet.com.au

Rod

We are booked with Uniworld the beginning of December. Flying in 2 days early and staying in Cairo at the Ramses Hilton. Booking tours with Ramses Tours for those days and recooperating from the long flights. Then on Saturday, we transfer to Cairo Marriott to meet up with Uniworld.

Loved the River Tosca and large cabins with Uniworld. Also, the included tours. They are very easy to work with.

I am going with Scenic tours to Egypt 1st december. I have travelled with them before and they have been amazing.

So far this time scenic tours have been very helpful in the planning of our trip. we have several extra days both in Egypt and singapore which Scenic have organized for us. and being previous travelers we have received quite a few bonuses.

Am looking forward to our first trip to Egypt. I do not if there is a way to send you a personal message but if there is you can send me one and i can possibly answer more questions for you.

Thanks so much for all the input . It is really appreciated! Carol, really enjoyed seeing your photos(especially the Soltice which we have also cruised - wonderful!!). It really makes Egypt well worth waiting for. Now, we just have to zero in on one company. We are meeting with our travelling friends on Friday night this week so hopefully some decisions will be forthcomig. If ayone has more advise/suggestions, all will be greatly appreciated.:)

We did Uniworld in June. It was fantastic! We went in a day early and arranged a private tour with Ramses for Saturday, then hooked up with Uniworld on Sunday. All the arrangements were handled for us - pick up at the airport, transfers, luggage - couldn't have been easier. The River Tosca is new and very nicely appointed. All the staff were fantastic, the food very good. My only complaint is that I wish we'd booked the longer trip!

We have finally decided to do a holiday in Egypt next fall. The companies that we think we like best are Right Travel (N.J.) or Scenic tours. Has anyone had any experience in Egypt with either of these? If so, would you recommend one or the other or continue to keep looking? Thanks for any advice - going to Egypt has been on my bucket list for a long time and it appears it will now happen!:)

I cannot help you much on what tour company to go with, since I did Egypt and the Nile cruise in 1985. Our trip was on my exit from my job in Saudi Arabia (after almost 5 years there for the US Army COE). We did Cairo on our own (local tours), stayed at the Marriott, and selected the Marriott Nile cruise. Then the only choices were all connected to hotel (Hilton, Sheraton, Marriott). Our trip took place a few weeks after the Achile Lauro terrorist hyjacking, so we only had 24 persons on a ship designed for 100. It was great. We took the train from Cairo to Luxor, then after the cruise flew back to Cairo.

The amazing thing about the sights in Egypt are that many are amazingly ancient, ancient. When the Romans took over Egypt in the 1century BC, The great pyramids at Giza were 2500 years old, and the SPhinx even older. Because of the desert climate, many temples, tombs and other historical sites are very well preserved. Also, you will see many, many sites that have little or no damage (unlike in Rome or Athens).

The Egyptians are very friendly people, and in my opinion Egypt is not to be missed if you have a bucket list, and love history.

Some tips.

Security is more of a concern there (this is not Europe), so doing more in a group is advisable. Even taking a taxi in Cairo should be done through your hotel, where the taxis are registered.

Food is good there, but don't eat at marginal places. Eat only at 4 star hotels or up. Don't eat from street vendors, etc.

DOn't buy any scarabs or items from the locals. They are probably fake, and if they were not, you are commiting a crime.

Be sure to compare the stops on the Nile cruises. Some are only four days, and others longer (stopping a more stops).

If you can go to Abu Simbel (sp?), ,do so.

First, thanks to all for your generous input. This decision is not coming quickly as we are still asking questions to both Right Travel and Scenic. Tauck looks great but we have priced it and it is appears to be above our budget for this holiday. Hopefully will have a decision and be booked by the end of the week.

One difference is the length of time spent on the Nile (4 or 6 days). We are defiitely going to Abu Simbel - appears to be a real highlight.

We are also looking forward to visiting Alexandria - the question is to do a daytrip or to spend 1-2 nights?

Mike - thanks for posting the photos - I was looking at you and Carol in them and thanked her for posting!! Looked like you had a great time.

Please keep the comments coming - booking a vacation has rarely taken me so long!!!

For the most comprehensive and in-depth review of Egypt w/Nile cruise, you should look up Seafun's experience with Gate 1's 14 -day tour.

I believe you can see this on the Africa section.

It takes a good amount of time to read, but it is well worth it for all the information you receive.

:D:D:D

Nevertoolate, you were absolutely right about Seafun's review! Once I started reading it I could not stop! That's one of the best, most humorous, & comprehensive reviews I've ever read, and now I'm super excited about our trip. I "cut & pasted" 2 full pages of useful "nuggets" that I can go back & quickly review as needed. Thank you Seafun!!

Hi Kennetro,

We took Tauck's Egypt/Jordan cruise/tour last November and had a fabulous time. I suggest you go to Tauck's Ask and Share Board and read all the comments about our trip and the one you booked. Yours will have one more day on the Nile and not go to Jordan.

Sheila

Mzhelen,

I am trying to figure out tours with Ramses Tours right now for our trip next month. What tours did you take, and would you have changed anything or customized it more?

Thanks for your input.

Denise

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We did Uniworld in June. It was fantastic! We went in a day early and arranged a private tour with Ramses for Saturday, then hooked up with Uniworld on Sunday. All the arrangements were handled for us - pick up at the airport, transfers, luggage - couldn't have been easier. The River Tosca is new and very nicely appointed. All the staff were fantastic, the food very good. My only complaint is that I wish we'd booked the longer trip!

jmlh -

Looking at your past cruises, you might want to consider the Uniworld tour. Sometimes they have better rates for past passengers, and it looks as if you did the Duoro River with them. They should be priced below the Tauck Tours. They are also offering some early booking promotions that might interest you. Our Egypt cruise was $1000 off p/p, so that made it much more affordable.

Denise

Hi Kennetro,

We took Tauck's Egypt/Jordan cruise/tour last November and had a fabulous time. I suggest you go to Tauck's Ask and Share Board and read all the comments about our trip and the one you booked. Yours will have one more day on the Nile and not go to Jordan.

Sheila

Thanks for the info Sheila! Will definitely do that! Don't know how we'll be able to wait 12 more months though! LOL

Just back guys...... amazing amazing time with GATE 1. Went so smooth - like clockwork. Only 11 in our tour. Super guide. I would recommend this company very highly. We are looking at their Thailand itineraries now.

Will post a full review in the next day or so.

BTW: We did the 15 day Gate 1 with the side Red Sea resort. Definately worth the extra couple of days !!! So glad we did this one.

Will come back and let you know when full review is done. :D Cheryl

Archived