Vatican Gardens - Tour Guide Necessary?

dcinmb

Sorry---I should have clarified---a friend of a friend works at the Vatican and can get me into the Gardens on my own, independently of the guided tours. From what I can tell, the gardens seem pretty vast so I was thinking I'd be better off going on the guided tour, but then I read mixed reviews of the tour at TripAdvisor. I suppose one upside of going on my own is that I'd be able to spend as much time as I wanted there, but I'm literally going to be by myself so it might get pretty lonely!

I've been able to get "free" access inside the gardens as well -- it's gorgeous. Does your friend have the pass to buy thngs in the stores? Some of them are really great - things from all over the world. Back to your question -- I don't think they will let you wander any where you want and if you try to take picture they will probably be VERY unhappy (speaking from experience!). Get a guide -- you'll experience so much more that way.

I would take the tour first, then if you want to spend more time there, leverage your friendship and get back in later.

I'm only in Rome for three days this trip and my other two mornings I'm going to the Galleria Borghese and the newly opened hypogeum and third tier sections of the Colosseum. Apparently, the Vatican only allows visitors access to the Gardens in the mornings as the Pope takes his daily passeggiata every afternoon, so I have to choose either the tour or getting in through my friend.

I've been able to get "free" access inside the gardens as well -- it's gorgeous. Does your friend have the pass to buy thngs in the stores? Some of them are really great - things from all over the world. Back to your question -- I don't think they will let you wander any where you want and if you try to take picture they will probably be VERY unhappy (speaking from experience!). Get a guide -- you'll experience so much more that way.

Do I need a special pass to be able to shop in the stores? I was there last year and don't remember a store with merchandise from all over the world---just the tiny two-sectioned store with books, rosaries, etc. I don't have all the details of my friend's friend's access yet as I don't want to bother him just in case I end up deciding to take the regular tour after all. All I know is that I have to go in the morning, it will be free-of-charge, and that I will be on my own.

When you went on your own, did they give you a fixed time period and tell you specifically where you were allowed to go? How odd that they didn't want you taking pictures. Are you allowed to take pictures on the regular tour?

I was kind of leaning toward getting in through my friend's friend as I may not have the opportunity to do so the next time I'm in Rome, but I may have to reconsider.

Thank you!

Diana

• 2 months later...

We did the Vatican garden tour with a guide through Vatican tours inc and enjoyed it very much. We booked this as part of a 4 hour private Vatican tour, and for both the gardens and the Vatican Museums/Sistine Chapel it was so much better to have a guide than to do it on your own. I have wandered the museum/S. chapel on my own before and got so much more out of the guided tour. The gardens were especially nice because we were just about the only people there -so it was like we had the whole gardens to ourselves, even though the indoor museums were quite crowded. It was a different perspective to see the outdoor mosaics, fountains, gardens and wildlife and I'm glad we did it.

Archived