Spices!

Norwegianlatvian

Can someone help me with the following?

My girlfriend is visiting Cozumel and Costa Maya on our cruise in November, and is thinking of buying some local spice when we are there. But we know that its some regulations about what we are allowed to bring with us over the border:

Is it legal to buy spices in Mexico and bring them back to USA (actually through USA since I am going back to Europe..)? I am talking of dried versions of chili etc.

Thanks in advance!

Per United States Customs and Border Protection, yes, packaged spices, tea, etc. are generally allowed:

http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/travel/vacation/kbyg/prohibited_restricted.xml#FoodProductsPrepared

Food Products (Prepared)

You may bring bakery items and certain cheeses into the United States. The APHIS Web site features a Travelers Tips section and Game and Hunting Trophies section that offers extensive information about bringing food and other products into the U.S. Many prepared foods are admissible. However, bush meat made from African wildlife and almost anything containing meat products, such as bouillon, soup mixes, etc., is not admissible. As a general rule, condiments, vinegars, oils, packaged spices, honey, coffee and tea are admissible. Because rice can often harbor insects, it is best to avoid bringing it into the United States. Some imported foods are also subject to requirements of the U.S. Food and Drug Administration.

Thank you very much!

Just make sure the packages are sealed and marked. Customs and Immigration might look a bit closer if the spices look like contraband, so make sure they are not just in baggies and tied with a ribbon or something like that.

I never gave this any thought. A number of years ago, we stopped at Granada and I brought several jars of saffron and other spices home. They were not sealed. I bought them from local spice stores and street vendors. I went through customs without a problem, which is too bad. I could have used some jail time to catch up on my reading! ;)

Archived