If One's Main Problem with MSC are the Passengers - What's That a Reflection On??

woodofpine

Yes, Maitre d' is not a job I would want. It's impossible to please everyone and we understand that. We also understand the cultural aspect. We're widely travelled and (for the benefit of non-Australian readers) we have a significant Italian population here in Australia). We also accept and understand the language issue ... although in this case the person concerned seemed to have no difficuly in understanding us or in expressing himself.

Even when all these factors are taken into consideration, there's no excuse for treating paying customers the way we were treated. Dealing directly with people is an integral part of the job and one would normally expect that a person occupying such a relatively senior position would be able to demonstrate at least basic people skills. Faced with the same situation, if one cruise line can leave customers in a positive frame of mind while another line leaves those same customers feeling totally negative, where does the blame lie?

Bear in mind also that this situation alone, while annoying, would probably not have precluded us from cruising with MSC in the future.

Hi Andrew,

Maybe there is still one chance left for them to make it right. Will you email Mr Sasso about your experience? Since your cruise ended in the US, I think that you'll be under his "jurisdiction", though he'd probably try to help out in any case:

rsasso@msccruisesusa.com

He really is an excellent CEO, and I bet that when he is physically on the ship, everything runs a little more smoothly.

I'm not sure what exactly he'll be able to do, and not sure what it would take for you to give them another chance. At the end of the day, they should send the maitre d' (and some others) for some "bedside manner" training ...

Even just from a purely business standpoint, MSC doesn't want to be driving away passengers, and especially not the really reasonable ones :)

... Will you email Mr Sasso about your experience?

I would be more than happy to ... if I though it would make the slightest difference. My concern is that exactly the same issues have been raised over a significant period. Different passengers from different countries on different MSC ships cruising to and from different parts of the world ... but always the same problems.

I can't help feeling that the problems people report are so deeply entrenched in the MSC culture that it's going to take a lot more than an email from me to have any influence.

Also, I'm sure that Mr. Sasso is aware of this web site. The crew on Poesia mentioned Cruise Critic on more than one occasion so if they're aware then I'm sure the CEO is.

So, Mr. Sasso, if you're reading this, take a look at the following and see if you can spot a common thread:

Rudeness is not acceptable, I work as a cabin chief myself and taking care of valued customers is number 1 priority.

However, there a lot of postive feedback too, never forget that.

Here is one review, totally in line with my experience on MSC:

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=74114

We cruised on the Orchestra April 09 and had a great experience.

We did experience one of the most awsome customer service feats of all times. During that cruise it was Passover, I asked if we could somehow do a seder and invite other passengers. They had me meet with the chef who found out what was traditional for the seder and supplied everything that they could, even made a version of charoset. They supplied us with a lounge and posted it in the daily itinerary. Then had about 4 people there to help with our service. We had about 60 people attend and all were very appreciative of this above and beyond service.

Lisa

WOW. That was so nice of them! Talk about great customer service.

I remember on Costa, they gave us a room for the Sabbath prayers, made a Challah bread for us, and brought us a few bottles of good Italian kosher wine. We were extremely pleased with the excellent customer service.

Archived