Cruise line tours

upandin

This will be our first time in Cartagena, arriving via RCCL on 1-28-11. They offer a 3-hour walking tour of the old city and we thought this might be best for our first visit. Is this the best choice for our first time here? I would appreicate anyone's comments or suggestions. thank you.:)

We did that tour a couple of years ago and loved it. Great way to see a lot of the old town. We were given little ear pieces so we could hear our guide, even if she wasn't exactly right next to us. Cartagena is a fascinating city and I'd love to go back. Enjoy!!

While the Old Town is wonderful, you will miss two excellent sites in Cartegena if you don't get out of the old town-- La Popa Monastery and the Castillo de San Felipe. The Monastery is located up a narrow, wind-y road, so only small tour buses are able to get there--not the large tour buses used by many of the cruise tours. It is a lovely building and has magnificent views of the city. The Castillo is fascinating and also affords great views of the city. I would recommend a small tour for this stop as well so that you can go down into the underground passages. (They are too small for large groups of people.)

There are many recommendations on this site and on Trip Advisor for reputable tour guides that offer tours with small groups. These tours can include La Popa, the Castillo and a walking tour of Old Town Cartegena. We did such a tour with J.J. Taborda (found through a recommendation on TA) and it was excellent.

• 2 weeks later...

Please realize that RCI has made a schedule change. The Jewel will be in Catagena, Columbia on Jan 29th from 7 AM to 4 PM. Jan 28th will now be a day at sea. You can check the RC site for the update. I would think RC would have notified everyone in an email about the change, but I found it out by accident and had to change our tour date from Jan 28th to the 29th.

• 2 months later...
This will be our first time in Cartagena, arriving via RCCL on 1-28-11. They offer a 3-hour walking tour of the old city and we thought this might be best for our first visit. Is this the best choice for our first time here? I would appreicate anyone's comments or suggestions. thank you.:)

We were in Cartegena on the Jewel last May. We did the ship tour #CA08 The Deluxe Cartegena Tour. For our first trip I thought it was excellent. The only place I wanted to spend more time was at the Dungeons.

Have a great time.

Claudette

• 8 months later...

Archived