what do I take with me on shore excursions?

SpringTXcruiser

:rolleyes: Hi! Cruise newbie here. I'm taking my first cruise on May 22, 2005. Carnival Elation. I know I will to taking the Dolphin Swim excursion in Cozumel and the Belilze cave tubing excursion. I was just wondering what I should bring with me on the excursions? Mainly I'm interested in my documents and what to carry them in. Also, on the ship, do I just need to always have my sign and sail card with me, or should it be visible, like on a chain around my neck? Any suggestions would be wonderful.

Thanks!!!:cool:

:rolleyes: Hi! Cruise newbie here. I'm taking my first cruise on May 22, 2005. Carnival Elation. I know I will to taking the Dolphin Swim excursion in Cozumel and the Belilze cave tubing excursion. I was just wondering what I should bring with me on the excursions? Mainly I'm interested in my documents and what to carry them in. Also, on the ship, do I just need to always have my sign and sail card with me, or should it be visible, like on a chain around my neck? Any suggestions would be wonderful.

Thanks!!!:cool:

First, your question about the card on Board. Since most cruise line don't accept cash for purchases you should carry your card with you at all times. I've never been on the ship you will be traveling but all of them that I have sailed you will need it to open you stateroom door.

Second question, Cozemel does check your ID when getting back on the ship. To be safe I would bring my passport if you have one, or a drivers license.

I would make a copy of the two front pages of my passport and carry that, leaving my actual passport in room safe. Your sign and sail card and photo driver's license should be sufficient to allow you to get back onto the ship (usually the ship itself only needs your sign and sail since they use it to bring up a picture of you when you board or re-board). As noted, your s&s card is also your cabin key so it's good to have it with you. A lot of people put them on lanyards as they don't have pockets in their swimsuits :). If you do this, I have read you should ask someone at the desk to punch the hole since they know where to do it without messing up the card.

ID, Sail and Sign card, ORIGINAL passport,credit card, cash, towel, camera, sunscreen, 2 t-shirts (one to wear while snorkelling/swimming and one dry one) bottled water, snacks and maybe an extra lightweight bag or backpack to bring back souvenirs. On the ship, you don't have to carry your sail and sign card with you or have it visible, for that matter.

I am no expert but I disagree with taking an original passport off the ship with you. What if it is lost or stolen? I like the idea of photocopying it. JMHO.:)

~curly

There has been a few postings regarding that lateley. Everyone has a difference of opinion. Mine is that it would be much more convenient and inexpexsive to replace a passport if it was lost or stolen than it would be to be stuck in a foreign country without it if, for some reason, I missed the ship. A photocopy WILL NOT allow you to fly back to the U.S. It might expedite the process at the consulate, but you are going to still have to make a trip there to get temporary travel documents.

For sure....you will need to bring a credit card with you into the ports.

You must prepare for the worst..... to be left behind....in an accident, etc..

Not a fun thought, but it does happen.

ps. a cc with an adequate available balance. :rolleyes:

I am no expert but I disagree with taking an original passport off the ship with you. What if it is lost or stolen? I like the idea of photocopying it. JMHO.:)

~curly

If for some strange reason you miss the ship a copy will not help you. Yes, It may speed up the process to obtain a new one at the embassy. The copies will not be enough to let you leave the island.

Archived