Honeymoon Advice - Are we crazy??

doggfan7

We did a 16 day Med cruise in July for our honeymoon - 1st cruise for both of us - and it was unforgettable. By far the best cruise we have ever taken. Yes, it was port intensive. Yes it was hot. Yes it was an unknown experience. But for us, it was exactly what we were after.

It gave us insight into areas we had only ever heard of in the news or in books. The history was incredible. The people were interesting and unique. The scenery was stunning and unexpected in so many ways. And it got us totally away from the incredible pressures and demands waiting for us at home.

I personally feel that if an area holds an interest for you, that is what is most important when choosing your itinerary. I can adjust to weather, and extreme heat I can tolerate with a few precautions. (hat, water, sunscreen). And who's to say what the weather will be like on any given day. We had 15 days of weather in the 100's plus, and one day where it was rainy, cold, and windy. We found we were able to adapt and enjoy ourselves and spent a lot of wonderful days enjoying the pools and beaches.

We were young and excited and curious, so we did not find it too stressful or exhausting. It was educational, interesting, and our first big trip together. It is now 33 years later, and I still remember the joy and happiness I felt every day of that cruise.

Although Med cruises tend to be port intensive, who is to say that you have to get off in each port, or if you do, you don't have to go on a big excursion. There are lots of beaches and places to relax and unwind. Just pick the ports that interest you most. And lots of days we just rented a taxi at the pier and had the driver take us to see his country. Most of the time, the most energetic we were during those taxi rides was when we had to get out to either go eat, swim, or stand at a lookout to see the view. Sometimes we would stop at a historical place of interest, but that would take maybe 1-2 hours of our time. Not too exhausting back when we were still young and had a bit more get up and go!

You will know your energy level and comfort zones better than any of us. I know people who have taken B2B cruises with different lines and thoroughly enjoyed themselves. I also know a couple who did it and found it too much for them. I suggest you be honest with yourself about how inconvenient you would find it to pack/disembark/move ship/embark/unpack in the middle of your trip. Keep in mind that many people take bus, car, or backpack tours of Europe and have to pack and unpack at a new hotel every day. They enjoy themselves immensely and do not find it a hardship. Only you will know if this choice is right for you.

The two itineraries you have mentioned sound like great trips. If they are what you choose to do, I am sure you will have an incredible adventure. I think it is a wonderful way to start a new life together, and I hope you and your new wife will find it to be the first of many exciting trips together. Good luck whatever you choose, and Enjoy! :)

Congratulations on the upcoming marriage and all the life changes!

Another option is to do a minimoon right after the wedding and then take your time planning the honeymoon. My husband and I didn't get around to planning our honeymoon until a few months after the wedding and were so glad we took our time. We were able to save up vacation time and money. We could look forward to the honeymoon without the stress of wedding planning. One of the bonus benefits was being able to fend off the "kids" question with "We haven't even been on our honeymoon yet." Also by decoupling the wedding and honeymoon, you could pick an optimal time, weather-wise, for the place you want to visit.

We are doing the 12 day Mediterranean Empires cruise out of Venice in May for our honeymoon. We decided to go a couple weeks after our wedding so that we were more relaxed and stress free! We think that even though it will be port intensive and exhausting it is also a chance of a lifetime. I say pick the cruise that sounds the best to YOU. If you want to do two seperate cruise lines go for it. It's your honeymoon and it will be amazing no matter what.

Wow, when I logged in I never expected to see so many thoughtful opinions out there! First off, thanks to all who have offered their advice. I'll try to address most concerns:

Some of you have suggested taking an Alaskan cruise. That's not for us, at least not yet. The Noordam suggestion seems to be popular, and we will certainly consider that.

Unfortunately, our time-frame for sailing is very limited. Once Nina starts her new year and I start my new job, we do not have the luxury of taking vacation time, especially not for the length we would like.

We love traveling, and while Nina has never cruised before, we are experienced travelers. I am not as concerned as many here that we will tire out. We're young. The idea of an all-inclusive sounds wonderful to us...for about 3 days. Then, it's just us getting antsy. We are not all-inclusive beach people. We are 'see the world' people.

Oh, and to the person who questioned only 3 months of studying for the bar, I meant 3 months intensive study, I've been 'studying' for the bar for the past three years of law school. :)

Now, since we've last spoken, I've discovered the 19-Day Nieuw Amsterdam sailing out of Venice to Barcelona on 8/9/11. An interior stateroom is very reasonable for 19-days (and when are we ever going to be in our room on our honeymoon, except for..., well I'll leave that to your imaginations. :) But, what do you all think about that sailing. I know it is very port intensive, but our feeling is that we are not going to have the opportunity to take a long Mediterranean vacation like this for another decade or so. Thoughts?

This cruise - a 7 and a 12 night put together - sounds great. My mom and I had thought of doing the 12 night portion this past October, but it didn't work out. With the 2 cruises you will have extra time in Rome and Barcelona, with no unpacking and repacking in between.

Good luck with your choosing, and congratulations on your upcoming wedding.

Now, since we've last spoken, I've discovered the 19-Day Nieuw Amsterdam sailing out of Venice to Barcelona on 8/9/11. An interior stateroom is very reasonable for 19-days (and when are we ever going to be in our room on our honeymoon, except for..., well I'll leave that to your imaginations. :) But, what do you all think about that sailing. I know it is very port intensive, but our feeling is that we are not going to have the opportunity to take a long Mediterranean vacation like this for another decade or so. Thoughts?

This sounds like a wonderful itinerary. 19 days gives you lots of time to enjoy each other with no work/family/routine demands. You get to stay in the same room with no packing/unpacking, there is a great variety of interesting ports of call, and the ship will feel like a home away from home.

HAL is a gracious and caring cruise line and their staff is known for their top notch service. Once they know it is your honeymoon, I'm sure they will make certain that they give you an unforgettable cruise. (they usually do anyway, but I'll bet they make an extra effort for you).

This cruise gives you lots of opportunity to play, relax, explore, and dream together. It sounds like a great choice. Congratulations, and I hope your new life together is filled with many more great trips together. Enjoy! :)

I would not want an inside room for a honeymoon. I would much rather do the two 7-day back-to-back on different lines and have a balcony on each. If there was ever a trip I would want to wander around in my skivvies and hang around the room watching the ocean go by, it'd be my honeymoon.

I have more thoughts I was going to send via PM, but I can't figure out how to PM or e-mail you. Ahh, well.

Hi doggfan7. I know this is the HAL board, but since you mentioned NCL in your OP, I just wanted to mention another option.

Celebrity Silhouette (currently under construction), 12 nights, August 10 & 22 from Civitavecchia....17 nights, August 17 & 29 from Venice.

Congratulations and best of luck with your cruise decision. ;)

Sounds like you kmow what you're doing. Trust your own judgement on this and have a great time.

Warning: Do not pick a brand new ship, they always have a few kinks to iron out and the crew has to come together to give proper service.

Archived