Honeymoon Advice - Are we crazy??

doggfan7

So we are getting married August 6th of next year and have been going back and forth on what kind of honeymoon we want. It seems to change on a weekly basis. I have been on dozens of cruises going back to when I was a kid. My fiance has never been on one, but is dying to try it.

First, we were dead set on doing a Hawaiian vacation. Then it was a longer Caribbean cruise on a bigger ship (I'm a big ship guy, but don't want to intimidate her on her first cruise). Lately we've been discussing the Mediterranean, and this leads us to our problem. Our wedding is planned one week after I take the bar exam (after 3 months of studying). This honeymoon is about celebrating our marriage as much as it is getting me away from work/the law, so I want it to be at least 10-14 days. DF is a teacher and must be back by September 1st while I will be starting my new job around the same time as well. We would like to keep the cost of the trip as low as we can as we are buying a house right now. I have searched and searched for good deals that meet all of the above criteria and the best I could come up with is a little unique to say the least.

Our trip would consist of B2B cruises on the Norwegian Epic (7-Day on 8/14) and then on the Nieuw Amsterdam (7-Day on 8/21). The price for both of these together seem to beat out any single longer cruise.

For those of you still with me here (and I thank you), this is where I need advice. Is this ridiculous of us to do? B2B on two separate cruise lines? Is there a cheaper option out there that still gives us at least 10-14 days? Please advise us oh great critics of cruise.

Congratulations on all of the above :D. Our family has taken two cruises with HAL so far and in May we took our two teenage sons and our 10 yo daughter to the Mediterranean on the Eurodam - the sister ship of the Nieuw Amsterdam. It was a huge hit with everyone in the family. So much so that my oldest son and I just booked a second Mediterranean cruise for this coming May as he wanted very much to go back and continue with the Mediterranean ports (Greece) that we didn't get to on the first one. To work with your dates I wonder if you had looked at the Mediterranean Enchantment cruise aboard the Noordam. The Noordam is in the Vista class which is a bit smaller than the Signature class which the Nieuw Amsterdam is but personally I didn't notice much difference in size as those are the two classes of ships we have sailed so far with HAL. Here is the itinerary:

Ship: ms Noordam

Embark Port: Civitavecchia (Rome), Italy

Disembark Port: Civitavecchia (Rome), Italy

Departure Dates: Aug 16, 2011

Ports of Call: Civitavecchia (Rome), Italy; Livorno (Florence/Pisa), Italy; Monte Carlo, Monaco; Barcelona, Spain; Palma de Mallorca, Spain; La Goulette (Tunis), Tunisia; Palermo, Sicily, Italy; Naples, Italy

I was thinking you could spend a couple days in Rome or Naples to stretch your trip a few more days. We stayed in Rome pre-cruise in May and had a wonderful time without breaking the budget. We stayed at a b&b close to the Termini train station and were able to hit all the highlights of Rome. It was easy to get to as we took the train from the airport and walked right to the apartment. Whatever you decide you will have a wonderful time if you have half the fun we did!;)

diane

The embarkation and debarkation process can take hours, so you're going to "waste" a lot of time inbetween, not to mention the packing/unpacking twice and hauling around suitcases. You also have customs and immigration to deal with. I would look for a longer cruise that allows you to stay on one ship.

We're not allowed to mention special travel agents, cruise websites, agencies, etc.

Roz

IMHO you'll just be getting in the groove when your first cruise is over and you'll be stressed, out of sorts, NON-relaxed to start your 2nd cruise. We've found that a 7 day cruise just doesn't do it for us -- we just get unwound, and we are packing to leave. I can't imagine doing that TWICE, y'know?

I totally understand about budgets and costs, and keeping things under control. Sometimes, though, there is greater value in spending a BIT more money, and making a couple of trade-offs elsewhere, e.g., perhaps a less costly shore excursion someplace, or fewer trips to the spa, or slightly fewer "adult beverages" onboard.

As another poster recommended, what about a couple of days post cruise in your port city to extend a 10-day cruise? (I'm not certain about Med itins -- until I can be teleported to Europe, not much chance I'll be taking one them!)

So we are getting married August 6th of next year and have been going back and forth on what kind of honeymoon we want. It seems to change on a weekly basis. I have been on dozens of cruises going back to when I was a kid. My fiance has never been on one, but is dying to try it.

First, we were dead set on doing a Hawaiian vacation. Then it was a longer Caribbean cruise on a bigger ship (I'm a big ship guy, but don't want to intimidate her on her first cruise). Lately we've been discussing the Mediterranean, and this leads us to our problem. Our wedding is planned one week after I take the bar exam (after 3 months of studying). This honeymoon is about celebrating our marriage as much as it is getting me away from work/the law, so I want it to be at least 10-14 days. DF is a teacher and must be back by September 1st while I will be starting my new job around the same time as well. We would like to keep the cost of the trip as low as we can as we are buying a house right now. I have searched and searched for good deals that meet all of the above criteria and the best I could come up with is a little unique to say the least.

Our trip would consist of B2B cruises on the Norwegian Epic (7-Day on 8/14) and then on the Nieuw Amsterdam (7-Day on 8/21). The price for both of these together seem to beat out any single longer cruise.

For those of you still with me here (and I thank you), this is where I need advice. Is this ridiculous of us to do? B2B on two separate cruise lines? Is there a cheaper option out there that still gives us at least 10-14 days? Please advise us oh great critics of cruise.

I've never been on a European Cruise, but I can offer you my thoughts about booking.

If you're looking for relaxation, disembarking and re-embarking in the middle of a trip would be stressful, and you'd lose relaxing time while packing, putting your luggage out the night before, retrieving your luggage, going through customs, relocating you and your things to the next ship, checking in with the next cruise, boarding, and having to unpack again. Heck, I'm getting tired just thinking about it:o!

I would only book one cruise line for the entire cruise. I would go ahead and put the deposit down now.

You have some time before you would have to pay the balance on your cruise fare. Sometimes cruise lines have sales on their fares. Sign up for the cruise lines e-mail specials, and keep an eye on your fares on-line with the line you choose to cruise with. Also ask your travel agent to do the same, and notify you if the price of the cruise goes down.

Generally speaking, you would ask if the cruise line would honor the discounted price for you on your booking. It has been my experience that before final payment, they will do that for you.

Also consider if your TA or the line is offering on board credits, and if to keep your costs lower that you might be able to find good airfares.

I'd also recommend travel insurance for your entire trip.

Have a great wedding and honeymoon!

AC

schoolinmy3 - The Noordam cruise you recommended does look pretty good. I have never been on HAL, is the Noordam "fun enough" for two twenty-somethings? What will the crowd be like?

I'm definitely getting the impression that my plan is not the smartest.

I do not think changing ships on a B2B is big issue, it is really quite straightforward. The one challenge, and it is a small one, would be finding a place to leave your luggage for those intervening hours between disembarkation and embarkation. So, if you are in a pre cruise hotel prior to boarding the first cruise, ask that hotel if they would be willing to store your bags for a few hours in between ships as it were (some other poster may be able to identify a storage area closer to port) OR find out if HAL(this would be ideal assuming both ships dock at the same location which I think they do) can take your bags really early. Once you get rid of the bags, you will be free to walk around Barcelona or perhaps even take a trip to Monserat.

Often the per diem price of 7 day cruises is much less than a 14 day cruise. If the saving is significant and the respective itineraries work, then go for it. We use cruise comXXXX to get a handle on prices. You will also get a younger demographic on a 7 day trip. My understanding is that on HAL 14 day trips the demographics tend to be slanted to the right hand side of the scale.

When you book, just make sure that your TA does NOT charge for cancellations or for repricing. Then watch for price reductions and grab them immediately because they are often short lived.

good luck.

I agree that one longer cruise is preferable to two longer cruises. This is an example of the whole being greater than the sum of its parts.

One thing that hasn't been mentioned is weather in the Med during August. You are talking hot Hot, HOT! I was there last May and last October/November, and was overwhelmed by the heat then; summer would be so much worse.

And the itineraries in the Med are intensely busy. Are you sure this is what would be relaxing? It wouldn't be relaxing to me.

Have you considered a cruise in Norway, or the Baltic? Something with some sea days, and scenic cruising? Days when you can kick back a bit?

Whatever you do, do it on one ship.

Oh, and have a great life together.

schoolinmy3 - The Noordam cruise you recommended does look pretty good. I have never been on HAL, is the Noordam "fun enough" for two twenty-somethings? What will the crowd be like?

I'm definitely getting the impression that my plan is not the smartest.

It definitely depends on what you consider "fun". My teenagers prefered HAL because they wanted to cruise for the ports, the history in Europe, the relaxation and the food, not to party. My oldest son will be 20 on this upcoming cruise and has no desire to try another cruise line. As a matter of fact he found the cruise so relaxing he told me this time he didn't want to combine any land tours (i.e. staying in hotels) pre cruise. He just wants to get right on the boat! But if you are seriously into night life then from what I understand other cruise lines have more to offer for night time entertainment. There IS entertainment it is just more low key. My 17 yo every evening went up to the Crow's Nest to hear Aaron Tessis, the guitarist. And the magician, James Cielen, and wife aerialist were amazing on that cruise as well. It all depends on what type of vacation you are looking for. HAL is classy, has great service and decent food and will not (generally) be over run by children. As a matter of fact my daughter and another girl had Club HAL pretty much to themselves for the cruise.

diane

If you are not married to a certain geographic location. If you are a bit of a gambler. I would go for the longer cruise but wait to book. The more popular destinations will go up in price but the destinations that are not selling USUALLY drop. It is a risk but it just might pay off for you. The question is do you feel lucky?

Congratulations on your upcoming wedding. Let us know what the final decision is to be.

I'd like to 2nd Betty's advice.

The Mediterranean is a BEAUTIFUL place, and there's TONS to do. But it's NOT relaxing. I came home 1 week ago today from my Med cruise on the Nieuw Amsterdam (highly recommend HAL personally at age 36) and I'm still tired!

As for being a lot to do, it really depends on what you're into. if you're looking to dance the night away, HAL isn't your cruise line. You might find some people dancing in the Northern Lights disco on occasion, but at most i saw like 10-15 people in there (of a 2000 pax list). However, I found I never had enough time to do all I wanted for the Med cruise. You'd get up at 6am to get ready and have breakfast before getting off the ship anywhere from 7-9am depending on the port (sometimes later but usually not) and then get back on the boat anywhere from 4pm to 8pm and then have to deal with dinner and such. Once you've done all that, you're too exhausted to do much more! :-) We did attend some shows after dinner, but honestly, if you're looking for a relaxing vacation, I'd stick to something closer to the US.

And yes, it will be HOT in August. We were there from 10/6 (Venice) to 10/19 (Barcelona) and we only used our light jackets on the last 2 days in Barcelona. Every other port it was shorts and a tshirt. Very warm this year especially. Last year it was about 1/2 and 1/2 in October.

Does HAL run those New England tours in the summer? I'd imagine those to be more on the relaxing side, but I dont recall when they run. I think next year I need to consider something closer to home as the flights just kill me to Europe. (unless i get rich and can fly 1st class in those sleeper seat things!).

Either way, have fun planning. Half the fun of vacation is all the dreaming about it beforehand!

I agree that one longer cruise is preferable to two longer cruises. This is an example of the whole being greater than the sum of its parts.

One thing that hasn't been mentioned is weather in the Med during August. You are talking hot Hot, HOT! I was there last May and last October/November, and was overwhelmed by the heat then; summer would be so much worse.

And the itineraries in the Med are intensely busy. Are you sure this is what would be relaxing? It wouldn't be relaxing to me.

Have you considered a cruise in Norway, or the Baltic? Something with some sea days, and scenic cruising? Days when you can kick back a bit?

Whatever you do, do it on one ship.

Oh, and have a great life together.

Ruth has, as usual, cut straight to the biggest problem. HEAT. The Med is very port intensive and not a great place for a honetmoon IMHO.

Only 3 months study for the bar?:confused: I planned out five months for one section of the CPA exam.:eek:

Good Luck on both the exam and marriage.

I took mt daughter and 26 year old granddaughter on the Noordam and she had a blast.

There were some pyher cruisers around her age there as well but the most of the time she went to the bars etc, with her mother and I.

The Noordam is abeautiful ship and the staff are all so friendly. Whatever you decidde, have a great honeymoon and cruise,

Helen

I would suggest you take a look at the following cruise:

http://www.hollandamerica.com/find-cruise-vacation/FindCruises.action?sourceName=byRegion&displayMode=advertising&directionCode=L&destCode=A

This is a 14-day Alaska cruise RT from Seattle. You will have great scenery, just the right number of ports, good itinerary and no hot weather. This would be a very relaxing and refreshing cruise.

DW and I have cruised Alaska 5 times and are ready to go back again.

Good luck with you Wedding!

This is a 14-day Alaska cruise RT from Seattle. You will have great scenery, just the right number of ports, good itinerary and no hot weather. This would be a very relaxing and refreshing cruise. DW and I have cruised Alaska 5 times and are ready to go back again. Good luck with you Wedding!

I second that suggestion. What a wonderful way to honeymoon!

I would suggest you take a look at the following cruise:

This is a 14-day Alaska cruise RT from Seattle.

Excellent idea. I took this cruise last August, and I agree it has the right balance of things to do, relaxation time, and beautiful scenery. And it's done on one medium length cruise.

I think you should look at the Noordam 10 night from Civitavecchia (Rome). 7 nights is too short. Then you will have to decide on East or West. We have done both and HAL's itinerary is great.

Don't let people tell you everyone on HAL is old. It is diff in Europe were you will have many Europeans on holiday.

Regarding Epic, we have never been on NCL but know people who are die hard NCL fans and even they are looking to try a new line after going on the Epic. They had to pay for the shows and many nights were sold out....They were not happy.

On HAL room service is included at no extra charge as is fresh sqeezed OJ. You do not have to sign out towels. You will not run into crew trying to sell sell sell. It should be a relaxing honeymoon when not sightseeing at the fantastic ports.

Congratulations on all of the above :D. Our family has taken two cruises with HAL so far and in May we took our two teenage sons and our 10 yo daughter to the Mediterranean on the Eurodam - the sister ship of the Nieuw Amsterdam. It was a huge hit with everyone in the family. So much so that my oldest son and I just booked a second Mediterranean cruise for this coming May as he wanted very much to go back and continue with the Mediterranean ports (Greece) that we didn't get to on the first one. To work with your dates I wonder if you had looked at the Mediterranean Enchantment cruise aboard the Noordam. The Noordam is in the Vista class which is a bit smaller than the Signature class which the Nieuw Amsterdam is but personally I didn't notice much difference in size as those are the two classes of ships we have sailed so far with HAL. Here is the itinerary:

Ship: ms Noordam

Embark Port: Civitavecchia (Rome), Italy

Disembark Port: Civitavecchia (Rome), Italy

Departure Dates: Aug 16, 2011

Ports of Call: Civitavecchia (Rome), Italy; Livorno (Florence/Pisa), Italy; Monte Carlo, Monaco; Barcelona, Spain; Palma de Mallorca, Spain; La Goulette (Tunis), Tunisia; Palermo, Sicily, Italy; Naples, Italy

I was thinking you could spend a couple days in Rome or Naples to stretch your trip a few more days. We stayed in Rome pre-cruise in May and had a wonderful time without breaking the budget. We stayed at a b&b close to the Termini train station and were able to hit all the highlights of Rome. It was easy to get to as we took the train from the airport and walked right to the apartment. Whatever you decide you will have a wonderful time if you have half the fun we did!;)

diane

This is the one I recommend or alternating itinerary with Turkey and Greece.

We have done this in July and August and no problem for us with the heat.

The Noordam Cruise works with your dates and itinerary great. You can start with pre-cruise time in Rome, our favorite city in the World.

Btw, from Naples you can get a driver to take you to Sorrento and along the Almalfi coast. I loved the fact that you get to North Africa on this cruise.

16 Aug 2011 Civitavecchia (Rome), Italy

05:00 PM 1

17 Aug 2011 Livorno (Florence/Pisa), Italy 07:00 AM 08:00 PM 2

18 Aug 2011 Monte Carlo, Monaco TR 08:00 AM 05:00 PM 3

19 Aug 2011 Barcelona, Spain ON Noon

20 Aug 2011 Barcelona, Spain

11:00 PM 5

21 Aug 2011 Palma de Mallorca, Spain 09:00 AM 06:00 PM 6

22 Aug 2011 At Sea

7 23 Aug 2011 La Goulette (Tunis), Tunisia 08:00 AM 05:00 PM 8

24 Aug 2011 Palermo, Sicily, Italy 08:00 AM 05:00 PM 9

25 Aug 2011 Naples, Italy 07:00 AM 06:00 PM 10

26 Aug 2011 Civitavecchia (Rome), Italy 07:00 AM

Not sure I would introduce my wife to cruising on a honeymoon. Yes we love cruising but it is not top of the list for everyone. Honeymoon should be worry free and something that puts you at minimum risk for problems. What if your wife is one of those rare people who can't stomach the motion of the boat. My son is getting married aug 13 and he just finished deciding on an all-inclusive in Jamaica. We have done both many times and prefer cruising, but for a honeymoon I would choose an all-inclusive everytime. Pick a top level resort for ten days, adults only ( a must for august ) and you will not regret it. Just another viewpoint.

Wow!

Getting married, purchasing a house, taking a bar exam, you starting a new job & your Bride having to face a new class of kids in a matter a few months will be very stressful for both of you..I can guarantee that you both will be exhausted even before your honeymoon..;)

We all know this as most of us have gone through the same things, but not all at once..:eek:

Now adding to your stress, by trying to take two port intensive cruises on two different ships in the Med is, in my opinion, not a way to start a new life together.. You & your new Bride should be getting to know each other & should be rested after your honeymoon...

I agree with those who suggested Alaska out of Seattle or perhaps you could find two different cruises on two different ships out of New York, which is close to your hometown..

Please don't get me wrong, as a 20 something I traveled throughout Europe & especially loved the Mediterranean area..A few of my favorite countries were Italy, Greece & Portugal, but we spent our Honeymoon closer to home, in a resort in Aruba instead of flying to Europe..We too were purchasing a new house & knew that would be stressful..My suggestion would be to plan on a Med cruise later on after you are both settled in your new home & your new job..

By the way, Congratulations & may you & your Bride always have "Fair Skies & Following Seas" in your Marriage as well as your cruises..

Cheers....:)Betty

Archived