Flying into FLL, cruise leaving from Miami...

elena7seas

I am trying to finalize our flights for our B2B cruise on the Eclipse in January. The cruise leaves from Miami, which is an airport I have not flown into before.

Flying out of Vancouver, and not wanting to make connections in any winter-vulnerable cities, my best options are fights into Fort Lauderdale.

We will be flying in the day before the cruise, but won't arrive until 7:00 pm, and a delay would not be a surprising occurrence.

Would it be better to take a shuttle or taxi from the airport to Miami that night or to stay in Fort Lauderdale and then taxi down to the port the following morning?

I would appreciate hearing from anyone who has had experience in this area.

I have searched the Florida departures boards for information, but would like to hear from the posters on this board, with whom I am familiar ;).

Thanks!

You can take a taxi, or a service such as SAS or Quality Limo Service, which will cost less.

If you'd like to see Miami, I'd go straight there after the flight. Otherwise, there are more reasonably priced hotel choices in Ft. Lauderdale.

Flying is hard on me due to motion sickness, so I prefer to get to my hotel as quickly as possible, and then travel to the cruise port the next morning.

I always stay in Fort Lauderdale even if cruise is out of Miami. We had a really bad experience in the Miami Hyatt Regency a few years back where they were selling drugs in the room next to us all night. People kept coming and going and to make it worse the room had an adjoining door. I was waiting all night for someone to come thru the door and kill us. Never again Miami. Does that help?

We stay in Ft. Lauderdale area whether we cruise from there or Miami. We use SAS Transportation from our hotel to Port of Miami and then post cruise back to the airport at Ft.Lauderdale. Have done this often and it works fine. Steve and his crew do a great job.

Latest fares (as of Sep and for Dec) are $15.00 pp each way. Kids are less and I believe there is a discount if you have more people. You can find his website and phone no. in the Florida port info section on CC.

I always stay in Fort Lauderdale even if cruise is out of Miami. We had a really bad experience in the Miami Hyatt Regency a few years back where they were selling drugs in the room next to us all night. People kept coming and going and to make it worse the room had an adjoining door. I was waiting all night for someone to come thru the door and kill us. Never again Miami. Does that help?

Yes, every posted experience on this board does help.

I just don't know Miami at all, so even when choosing a hotel in Miami, I don't really know where to begin. There seems to be so much conflict regarding safe areas vs. not-so-safe areas. It's kind of exhausting.

I am familiar with Fort Lauderdale and I guess that makes it easier to stay there overnight.

We live in south Florida, and if you are not familiar with Miami, and think you'll get in late, I'd suggest a Lauderdale hotel. Less expensive, less hassle late at night and not a difficult shuttle run in the morning.

Good luck with your choices...happy cruising....Joanne

We live in south Florida, and if you are not familiar with Miami, and think you'll get in late, I'd suggest a Lauderdale hotel. Less expensive, less hassle late at night and not a difficult shuttle run in the morning.

Good luck with your choices...happy cruising....Joanne

Thanks Joanne.:)

I think we are on the same cruise on January 15th? I have not signed onto the Roll Call yet, but will do so after I have confirmed my flights.

Agree better to stay in Ft Lauderdale the night before then take SAS from the hotel to the Miami cruise port, a lot cheaper then the taxi.

http://www.ridesas.com/html/reservations.html

It seems that overnighting in Fort Lauderdale is my best bet.

In my research, I have seen several conflicting reports about the reliability of service from SAS. I would love to hear more reports from people who have booked with them.

Thanks.

Thanks Joanne.:)

I think we are on the same cruise on January 15th? I have not signed onto the Roll Call yet, but will do so after I have confirmed my flights.

Welcome in advance...it's going to be a very nice cruise...been more than three years since we've done a 7 day Caribbean...all that running around Europe cuts short our cruising close to home:). We are really looking forward to just relaxing :)

Happy cruising...Joanne

It seems that overnighting in Fort Lauderdale is my best bet.

In my research, I have seen several conflicting reports about the reliability of service from SAS. I would love to hear more reports from people who have booked with them.

Thanks.

I did use them for my trip last year. They were great. Called me when I landed an we were not at the gate yet. Funny thing is they called the couple that was next to me on the plane too. They also called me to let me know they were outside waiting prior to me getting off the ship in Miami. I for one would use them again. Not to say companies do have bad days. Or is the customer who is just super picky and expect everything to be perfect. :)

Yes, every posted experience on this board does help.

I just don't know Miami at all, so even when choosing a hotel in Miami, I don't really know where to begin. There seems to be so much conflict regarding safe areas vs. not-so-safe areas. It's kind of exhausting.

I am familiar with Fort Lauderdale and I guess that makes it easier to stay there overnight.

Try memosunshinetransportation.com for van service to Port of Miami.

We've flown into FLL and cruised out of Miamiacouplke of times. Both times we had SAS pick us up at FLL the evening of our arrival and transport us to the hotel near the Port of Miami. We've found that staying in Miami and getting there the evening that we arrive reduces a bit of stress since we don't have to worry about traffic in the morning. Either way it will work out, but I would definately recommend SAS.

Elena, I would head right for Miami from the airport. That way you are there and don't have to worry about it the next day.

There is a hotel called the Holiday Inn Port of Miami, that I've often used. 5 min. from the port and across from the Bayside Mall.

Price was reasonable and being across from the mall was fun.

Went right to the ship after breakfast the next morning.

Kind of depends on the type of hotel you are looking for and the price point. There are dozens of moderate hotels in the general area close to Ft Lauderdale airport. The cluster near I-95 and Stirling Rd are quite nice with new SpringHill Suites, Hyatt Place, Cambria Inn, Hilton Garden Inn etc. Of course you could opt for Ft Lauderdale beach if you preferred but that is in the opposite direction from Miami. While Miami has lots of great hotels, the area close to the port really is kinda sketchy and there really aren't a lot of hotels/motels close by. Of course you could stay in Miami Beach or on Brickell or Brickell Key. This would be a good choice for high-end places. Mandarin Oriental is on Brickell Key and Hyatt Regency, JW Marriott and Four Seasons are on Brickell. But not much in the moderate hotels in that area.

Well it sounds like Elena is not getting into FLL until later in the evening. By the time she gets her bags and gets to any hotel, it's going to be a matter of getting something to eat and going to bed.

The Holiday Inn Port of Miami is not a 4 or 5 star hotel, but it is a solid 3 star and a perfectly acceptable a place to spend the night for 1 night only.

I've stayed there a few times and recommended it to many people.

If it was more than 1 night I would not have suggested it.

The Bayside mall across the street has a quite a few restaurants, so a good choice for dinner. I did not find the area "Sketchy" as you say.

We were at the mall after dark and felt perfectly fine walking back.

Why would anyone want to find their way to a hotel in the evening and then have to make their way to Miami the next day.

Do it all at the same time. Much better use of your time.

I am trying to finalize our flights for our B2B cruise on the Eclipse in January. The cruise leaves from Miami, which is an airport I have not flown into before.

Flying out of Vancouver, and not wanting to make connections in any winter-vulnerable cities, my best options are fights into Fort Lauderdale.

We will be flying in the day before the cruise, but won't arrive until 7:00 pm, and a delay would not be a surprising occurrence.

Would it be better to take a shuttle or taxi from the airport to Miami that night or to stay in Fort Lauderdale and then taxi down to the port the following morning?

I would appreciate hearing from anyone who has had experience in this area.

I have searched the Florida departures boards for information, but would like to hear from the posters on this board, with whom I am familiar ;).

Thanks!

We have done the reverse...flown into Miami, sailed from Fort Lauderdale. Since you're arriving late, I'd stay in Fort Lauderdale and take a taxi or car service to Miami in the morning. If my memory is correct, I think it took about 45 minutes to get there.

Question regarding your B2B...do you book a B2B separately? Are you getting the same cabin for the entire cruise. We were on the Eclipse last July for a Baltic cruise and just loved the ship. I'm looking for a cruise for Feb. 2012 but I like 10 - 14 days rather than a 7 day cruise.

Archived