Your Favorite Drugstore Alternatives to Expensive Cosmetics?

FinelyRetired

Yes, in fact the popular BE has a makeup primer called "Barevitamins Prime Time"

Haven't tried this brand but seems to have good reviews and they have one for face, oily skin and eyelids.

I have tried several primers, but none work so well with BE as the BE Prime Time does! It must have more silicone, as it feels less wet and more slippery! Haven't tried the monistat/lanacane chafing gel yet. :)

NOOOOO... you NEED primer with mineral makeup, it might be optional with liquid makeup, but the mineral makeup will look cakey (especially in fine lines) if you don't use primer first (and allow it a couple minutes to set before applying the makeup). .

Thanks for the background. I occasionally use primer but don't use foundation (liquid or mineral).

Seriously, most of the cosmetics companies are owned by either L'Oreal or Estee Lauder :p

I'm a huge fan of Laura Mercier's oil-free primer from Sephora. Not sure what makes it work, but my makeup doesn't budge. Of course, I also use Urban Decay's All Nighter Spray.

Yes, many makeup companies are owned by L'Oreal and Lauder, however, they still keep their product lines distinct and use different ingredients and formulations in different lines.

• 2 weeks later...
Ohhh Good luck finding a lip stain that won't dry your lips out......I have a serious addiction to Chapstick and Burts Bees wax usually find any lip stain is way too drying.

Burts Bees Wax has lip sticks but I hated the taste of them.

I have just started using Loreal Infallible Lip Gloss in the darker colors (they are pretty sheer) They give 6 hours of coverage, are not too glossy or gloppy, and seem not to be drying ...so far.

Thanks. I will try the L'Oreal Infallible lip gloss. It'd be lovely to find just one thing.

I have a lot of natural pigment in my lips and very, very few colors actually compliment me. There are 2 shades of Revlon Colorstay that work well for me; no bleed, but the gloss attached is useless. I've been using Jo Malone's Vitamin E Lip Conditioner both under & over which is a pricey solution ...or I often use a similar shade of Clinique Long Last Glossware over or alone.

Martha

My daughter uses the Rimmell powder and loves it as well as 'lanacane' anti chafing gel as a primer (after I told her about this!).

I love the l'oreal 'collagen' mascara - fantastic for everyday wear - and I also like Lancome types for more formal evenings - esp 'fatale'!

I recently started using the Avon anew line and love it as well - really making a difference - I esp like the 'glycolic facial serum' .....

My cleanser is olay definitely illuminating cream cleanser and yes before my crusie I start using the definity moisturizer - the one with some 'color building' in it - so I am not super white! (and I use crest or other whitestrips on my teeth pre-cruise as well - a white smile looks great in a tanned fact don't you think? :D)

This is embarrassing:o and is a closely held secret, but I use Monistat Anti Chafing cream (the stuff you put between your legs) as a foundation primer. It is the best on the market and VERY affordable. My BFF does makeup for some very high profile clients and she's the one who told me about it. I have raging rosacea and it doesn't aggravate it. In fact it has allowed me to use products that would normally cause a flare.

I use it too...great stuff!

I've just started using Cover Girl Liquiline Blast gel eyeliner and I love it. Glides on very smoothly without tugging and the other end has a great smudging tool. I wear glasses so eyeliner is critical. :)

I give myself a mini facial on weekends...exfoliate with Olay Regenerist Thermal Mini Peel, then use Freeman Facial Peel-Off Cucumber Mask, followed by Boots No 7 Intensive Moisture Face Mask.

NOOOOO... you NEED primer with mineral makeup, it might be optional with liquid makeup, but the mineral makeup will look cakey (especially in fine lines) if you don't use primer first (and allow it a couple minutes to set before applying the makeup).

Now, see, I didn't know this! I have Bare Escentuals mineral makeup and I don't use it because it settles into the fine lines but I never tried using it with primer...can't wait to try it again now. Thanks!

Princess422, your first reply post was almost identical to what I would have written!! Do you watch youtube tutorials and such by chance? Next time you are at walmart or a drugstore check out Maybelline's Natural Smokes palette. I actually have all of the smoky palette and others "one with the word "glitz" in it and I love them all! Good pigmentation, color payoff and minimal fallout.

My 2 cents:

My holy grail foundation of all time is Dior Skin Forever (I have oily combination skin) but from the drugstore I enjoy:

Revlon Color Stay

Rimmel Lasting Finish

Neutrogena Healthy Skin

I love my black liquid eyeliner and swear by these three:

L'oreal Lineur Intense (almost identical to Lancome's)

Revlon Color Stay

NYC liquid eyeliner

I am LOVING Maybelline Falsies mascara right now, it builds my lashes as well (maybe better than YSL faux cils, and Dior Show which is seems to be a cult fave but I am just not wanting to shell out $28+ for mascara on a regular basis). Also their Expert Wear Eye Shadow Quads in: Charcoal smokes, Natural smokes, Chai Latte, and Emerald Smokes. And their trio in Bronze Glitz. Although I am a big Bare Minerals fan, I like Maybelline's mineral foundation, Dream Mousse foundation, and their Instant Age Rewind concealer (the one with the illuminator on the other end)

From Revlon I am also enjoying the colorburst l/s in shades: blush, soft nude, rosy nude and peach. I enjoy mos to their colorstay line.

I think NARS blushes have some great color payoff but if you don't want to spend that kind of money definitely check out Milani minerals blush (I like Lumnious which is often compared to NARS orgasm). Check out the colors Lumnious and Mai Tai.

Don't know if you could tell but I love makeup! I could go on and on but will limit myself today! :D:D:D

Anyone have a really good inexpensive facial moisturizer that you like? I woke up this morning with one side of my face feeling like sand paper it was so dry and I was out of moisturizer. I'd like to find a drug store one that works good.

I used Olay for years - tried more expensive things and have come back to it. I use the Active Hydrating Beauty Fluid, sensiitve skin formula. It is fragrance free. It work s great - leaves my skin feeling smooth and not greasy, never itchy or blotchy

I also have used Olay for a long time. The Regenerist foaming cleanser, micro scrub, overnight and day cream. I just bought a set of cleansers from Philosophy to try. Purity daily cleanser and their microscrub. Haven't tried it yet.

I have extremely dry lips from working in a dry hospital setting. What lipstick/stain can people recommend that is long lasting and won't dry

me out more than I already am?:cool:

It doesn't have any color to it at all, but one of my cheap, cheap faves for lips is Blistex Silk & Shine. Absolutely fab for less than $2 (even less if you find a deal on a 2pack).

I also have used Olay for a long time. The Regenerist foaming cleanser, micro scrub, overnight and day cream. I just bought a set of cleansers from Philosophy to try. Purity daily cleanser and their microscrub. Haven't tried it yet.

A lot of people I've noticed like the Purity cleanser..however I broke out in what look liked hives. My skin itched, was red and burned. :( Maybe you will have better luck with it though.

Guest maddycat

Originally Posted by Jesscap5 viewpost.gif

Anyone have a really good inexpensive facial moisturizer that you like? I woke up this morning with one side of my face feeling like sand paper it was so dry and I was out of moisturizer. I'd like to find a drug store one that works good.

I love Cetaphil daily facial moisturizer spf 15 and Cetaphil gentle skin cleanser. Both are extremely mild and non-irritating.

Princess422, your first reply post was almost identical to what I would have written!! Do you watch youtube tutorials and such by chance? Next time you are at walmart or a drugstore check out Maybelline's Natural Smokes palette. I actually have all of the smoky palette and others "one with the word "glitz" in it and I love them all! Good pigmentation, color payoff and minimal fallout.

My 2 cents:

My holy grail foundation of all time is Dior Skin Forever (I have oily combination skin) but from the drugstore I enjoy:

Revlon Color Stay

Rimmel Lasting Finish

Neutrogena Healthy Skin

I love my black liquid eyeliner and swear by these three:

L'oreal Lineur Intense (almost identical to Lancome's)

Revlon Color Stay

NYC liquid eyeliner

I am LOVING Maybelline Falsies mascara right now, it builds my lashes as well (maybe better than YSL faux cils, and Dior Show which is seems to be a cult fave but I am just not wanting to shell out $28+ for mascara on a regular basis). Also their Expert Wear Eye Shadow Quads in: Charcoal smokes, Natural smokes, Chai Latte, and Emerald Smokes. And their trio in Bronze Glitz. Although I am a big Bare Minerals fan, I like Maybelline's mineral foundation, Dream Mousse foundation, and their Instant Age Rewind concealer (the one with the illuminator on the other end)

From Revlon I am also enjoying the colorburst l/s in shades: blush, soft nude, rosy nude and peach. I enjoy mos to their colorstay line.

I think NARS blushes have some great color payoff but if you don't want to spend that kind of money definitely check out Milani minerals blush (I like Lumnious which is often compared to NARS orgasm). Check out the colors Lumnious and Mai Tai.

Don't know if you could tell but I love makeup! I could go on and on but will limit myself today! :D:D:D

Thanks for posting..I'm always looking for a same type quality product without the exspensive price tags if I can help it..I've been using Revlon Colorstay Foundation and also found Revlon has a few matte lipstick finishes. I bought "pink pout" and I think it looks really good with pale pink lipgloss..but of course you can add any lipgloss on top of it.

Oh and I also watch tutorials on youtube but my favorite person I love watching is Marlena on makeupgeek. ;)

To say I love make up is an understatement. I could write a novel here but I will try to curtail my impulses.

Maybelline Eye Studio in Mad for Mauves (I have green eyes). Everyday I get a compliment on my eye make up since I started using this about 6 months ago.

Favorite eye liner: Tigi Bed Head Smudgie. Another make up that always get compliments.

Maybelline super stay lipstick is my favorite.

Now I use mainly Mary Kay for foundation and skin care. Very much worth it. I also haven't found a mascara better than Lancome. Be sure to sign up on their web site for great deals! Their samples are perfect for packing for a cruise too!

I have found Neutrogena deep cleanser to be a fanstastic cleanser as well as their night time deep wrinkle cream. At 42, all my cousins keep asking my secret for no wrinkles. I RARELY take off my make up at night which I know is bad so it has to be my product use!!

ok...I'm making myself stop but feel free to ask for more info on any of this. I could talk make up all day long!!!!!

• 2 months later...
Thanks for the good ideas the baby powder is a new one for me, but I am up for a try.

I am trying to minimize my make up , as I get older I am finding that "less is more".

cruisekitty : ?? pretty hands and feet for your face ? can you fill me in on that ?

Cori

Just picked up Neutragena hand cream in the tube...OMG, it is so moisturizing for my hands, cuticles, and feet. One of the best hand creams I have ever used. The one I bought is scentless and that is a plus for my sensitive nose.

Good old Baby Oil..use it for removing eye makup, body moisturizer (rub it in while skin is damp and not on my face!). I like to use this esp. when I travel because it also can be used as mosquito repellent!

I have given out this recipe before on this website, but will give it out again. For a super cheap and effective skin exfoliator: Kosher salt and baby oil. I put the salt in a wide mouth jar and fill the jar up with baby oil. I use it before a get wet in the shower....I love baby oil and lotion. It is one of the few scents I can tolerate.

I'm here! :)

I've heard of this before, although I've never tried it myself.

The product contains dimethicone (kind of like silicone) as well as aloe, and vitamin E. There's no fragrance and is totally nonirritating. So it makes sense that it's a good primer for those with sensitive skin.

Between this and Preparation-H around the eyes, and there's a lot of jokes in the pipline. :D:D

Smashbox primer is my all time favorite. It is a good consistency for my skin. I have tried others, included Laura Mercier, but still go back to Smashbox...but,,,now I am interested in the Monistat. Does anyone know which stores carry it?