Summit to Bermuda in June question

fritzi164

We are almost ready to book cruise for the June 5 th summit to Bermuda.

What is the advantage of booking through cruise critic?

Also, I have read on board that the concierge option is a bit of a rip off.

My agent said it's only 100.00 extra, but on principle, do not want to opt for it if there is no real advantage. This will be our first cruise, I know the Bermuda cruise is the right choice.

Would love some feedback, and any tips for us

If we book,will go directly to roll. Call to meet fellow cruisers.

Thanks!

You get the following with Concierge Class (CC), plus you get a larger stateroom:

Features

•Early embarkation & debarkation•Priority check-in•Welcome sparkling wine, fresh fruit & flowers•Main & specialty restaurant seating preferences•Expanded room service breakfast menu•Evening hors d'ouvres, daily•Pillow menu, Plush Frette® bathrobes•Hansgrohe® massaging showerhead•Extra handheld hair dryer, Celebrity tote bag•100% Egyptian cotton oversized bath towels•Complimentary shoeshine service, use of golf umbrella, & high-quality binoculars

For an extra $100, I would upgrade to CC.

Search around for a travel agent (TA). You can get on board credit with some agents. The only reason to book with Celebrity directs is that it makes it much easier to manage the reservation. You have up to 60 days after booking with Celebrity to transfer to a TA.

Larger stateroom, dbl cruise credits, priority embarkation (if they honor it-- a big plus at Cape Liberty) & other perks... worth $100 on this class ship!!

Go for it... ship is not perfect but Bermuda was GREAT!!

• 2 weeks later...

Have sailed celebrity concierge and with regular balcony....Flowers in the room--no big deal--they were never freshened up--fruit--we never ate--champagne day of boarding we exchanged for white wine--okay but not worth $100. Canapes--terrible--asked for cheese and crackers instead. With so much food on the ship we really didn't need the cheese and crackers. Only benefit is if you are capt. club you get credit for 2 cruises. Others might disagree but thought you should hear from someone with different opinion.

One of the things that you might want to look for in booking concierge is the size of the stateroom. On some Celebrity ships the size is the same and you just get the extra amenities but on some of the ships, the CC is actually a larger stateroom.

I have actually been on Summit in both regular balcony and CC. The CC is DEFINITELY worth the extra $$$ just due to room size alone. The extra amenities are fine, not great, but I felt so cramped in the regular room and had just enough extra space in the CC room to be comfortable.

Also, you ask about booking through cruise critic--can't do that, this is not a travel agency. Check the prices on the Celebrity website, and then check out what benefits you can get with on line or local travels agents. The prices will probably be the same, but you may be able to get pre-paid gratuities or an on board credit if booking through an agency. On the cruise I recently booked, I got $300 in credit to spend on the ship--so it definitely pays to shop around.

One of the things that you might want to look for in booking concierge is the size of the stateroom. On some Celebrity ships the size is the same and you just get the extra amenities but on some of the ships, the CC is actually a larger stateroom.

We sailed Concierge on Summit and regular balcony on Constellation with friends who sailed in Concierge. Biggest difference I noticed is that Concierge rooms in this class of ship have much more shelf space around the desk, which becomes a good place to keep some toiletries and other odds and ends. Concierge class also gets a full-sized table on the balcony, which makes it easier to eat breakfast outside; after we asked on Constellation, our cabin attendant got us a rickety card table, but the normal table is low and meant just for holding drinks.

Size of rooms is pretty much the same, although some of the standard balcony rooms have larger balconies and correspondingly smaller inside space. This may have led some to the belief that Concierge rooms are larger; doesn't seem to be true, at least on M-class ships.

As to other stuff, the priority boarding was helpful, although we are Select in Captains Club and so get that anyhow. The second hairdryer was helpful, allowing one person unimpeded use of the bathroom while other dries his/her hair at the desk. The room service breakfast menu, which we use a lot whenever weather allows, is much larger in Concierge. And the cheese and grapes every afternoon was nice given that we always take late seating, and a little snack at 4pm helps us get to 8:30 without gnawing on the woodwork (not that we couldn't go up to the deck 10 restaurant, but still....).

"Size of rooms is pretty much the same, although some of the standard balcony rooms have larger balconies and correspondingly smaller inside space. This may have led some to the belief that Concierge rooms are larger; doesn't seem to be true, at least on M-class ships."

Actually, factually untrue. Standard balcony rooms on M class ships are 170 sq. ft., concierge class are 191. Now, 21 square feet may not seem like a lot, but it is better than 10%, and as someone who has stayed in both, you definitely notice it.

Concierge Class rooms on S class ships are the same size as regular balcony cabins.

Archived