Passport Expiry Question

mcduck

We have booked our first cruise since Dec/04 (4th HAL-old Niew Amsterdam/Amsterdam/Westerdam; 1 RVC;PCL;CCL) on the Feb 01/11 to Feb 11/11 Zuiderdam Panama cruise. I noticed that the expiry date on my passport is August 11/11 and my wife's is August 14/11.

HAL indicates that "We strongly recommend carrying a passport that is vaild for at least six months beyond the completion date of your travel, as this is required by some countries. Boarding may be denied or fines levied against those guests without proper documentation."

My passport appears to expire exactly 6 months from the date of our return to FLL. I sent an email to HAL to ask if the passport expiry dates would be an issue for HAL when embarking. HAL responded (very promptly) "that it will not be HAL denying boarding if guests do not have proper identification, customs will not allow passangers to travel without the proper identification."

I assume that they are refering to US customs, but am not sure why they would care about the six month expiry period as it is not an issue for re-entering the US or Canada. Does anyone know if customs, or some other authority, looks at the length of time before the passport expires before they allow you to board in FLL?

The countries that we are visiting just seem to require a "valid passport for the duration of the stay" except for Costa Rica that requires a passport that is "valid for six months from the dated of entry" (Feb 08/11).

As we nornally travel in December and January in the winter months the August expiry date works well, but may just renew the passports to be on the safe side as it would be a terrible reason to not be allowed to board.

We would appreciate any insight that you might have as to who determines if you have proper documentation to board and how big an issue the tight expiry date might be.

Thank-you.

As long as it's within the 6-month requirement, it will be fine. But if it will make you more comfortable renewing now, then by all means go ahead and do it. You'll lose about a year of validity on the passports you hold ... but that really isn't a big deal IMO.

We are Canadians on a Westerdam southern carribean cruise from FLL Dec 3 - Dec 17.

Our passports expire early Mar 2011 and we were advised by both HA and TA that the 6 mo would not be an issue since the only ports are carribean.

Do any US/CDN travelers have experince with this issue?

As already stated, you should be fine, with one exception. If you plan to visit Great Britain...ensure you are not within the six month expiration period. They are very strict on that. We took a TA last year to Southhampton and we were almost denied boarding at embarkation because we were exactly within six months of expiration. We had to wait until just before sailing before they let us on the ship. It was a nightmare, but it turned out O.K. Since then, we have vowed to renew early to ensure we are always covered. Just my thoughts!

Have a great cruise!

I've heard of this, but I don't quite get it:

If one is traveling by ship and the passport is valid for the time within which you'll be return home - Why the concern?

Even if one is traveling by air - if the return ticket is within the timeframe, why the concern?

It's not as if the US Immigration is going to ship a returning US citizen to GB, Costa Rica or Somewherelsia due to a delay for one reason or another resulting in a passport that's expired within a day or two of reentering the US...

...might as well make the passport expiration date 9 years and 6 months after issue.

(Rant over)

We are Canadians on a Westerdam southern carribean cruise from FLL Dec 3 - Dec 17.

Our passports expire early Mar 2011 and we were advised by both HA and TA that the 6 mo would not be an issue since the only ports are carribean.

Do any US/CDN travelers have experince with this issue?

Interesting - we just got our passports renewed for our upcoming Caribbean cruise because we were advised our passports definitely needed to be valid for 6 months after the last day of our trip.

If it were me, I'd rather renew and not risk it.

You are scheduled to leave Costa Rica on 8 Feb 2011. You have two days at sea before arriving in Ft. Lauderdale on 11 Feb 2011. You will not visit any foreign countries less than 6 months before the expiry of your passport. You do not need a new passport.

We were in a similar situation to a lot of you - I personally knew someone who got to the airport and was unable to board the airline because of the 6th month rule that some countries impose on visitors. I did not bother to contact the cruise line or our TA - we just went ahead and renewed - we were going to have to do it in February anyway - I certainly did not want to take any chances - the person I made reference to above ended up being out a lot of money - and no vacation!

I've heard of this, but I don't quite get it:

If one is traveling by ship and the passport is valid for the time within which you'll be return home - Why the concern?

Even if one is traveling by air - if the return ticket is within the timeframe, why the concern?

It's not as if the US Immigration is going to ship a returning US citizen to GB, Costa Rica or Somewherelsia due to a delay for one reason or another resulting in a passport that's expired within a day or two of reentering the US...

...might as well make the passport expiration date 9 years and 6 months after issue.

(Rant over)

Yes, it was rather ludicrous! Passports should be accepted as long as they are valid and you return to your country of origin within it's parameter of validity. However, that would make waaaay too much sense! LOL

Agree this sounds crazy and just another way to add fees.... why not have driver's licenses expire 6 months before the date that they are due to and collect more fees? Parking meter run out ealier than shown and towns could ticket? Why assign a date, time, etc if it really isn't meant to be?

Agree this sounds crazy and just another way to add fees.... why not have driver's licenses expire 6 months before the date that they are due to and collect more fees? Parking meter run out ealier than shown and towns could ticket? Why assign a date, time, etc if it really isn't meant to be?

My best guess: Some countries are concerned that if a visitor becomes ill or injured they may not be able to timely leave, particularly if that illness or injury is serious. Probably a hold over from long ago when travel was slower and medical transfers were not done. The 6 months is the probably a random date, picked because somebody decided 5 months might be too short and 7 is too long. :rolleyes:

Is someone at the pier when embarking making the call as to whether a passport is valid for a sufficient length of time?

HAL claims it is not done by them in the e-mail that I received from them. While our last cruise was several years ago, I seem to recall HAL looking at the passports and returning them to us, and that they were quickly looked at by the local customs authority when we got off the ship in some ports. Not sure why the US authorities would want to see it when you are leaving the country.

We are kicking around doing a trip (Caribbean/Panama)in Dec or Jan and my passport expires in May, So I just dropped the $87 and renewed even though I lose 6mon. Better safe than sorry. I agree with the above it should be accepted as long as it is valid on the date of travel.

My best guess: Some countries are concerned that if a visitor becomes ill or injured they may not be able to timely leave, particularly if that illness or injury is serious. Probably a hold over from long ago when travel was slower and medical transfers were not done. The 6 months is the probably a random date, picked because somebody decided 5 months might be too short and 7 is too long. :rolleyes:

That's among the reasons why we pay taxes to support the US Embassy/Consulate system:

To help our citizens who find themselves in trouble or need in foreign lands.

Edited by bepsf

Why are so many of you getting bent out of shape for nothing?;)

The 6 month rule has nothing to do with United States Immigration Rules & or even HAL..

All Airlines & Cruise Lines including HAL must be sure that the Passengers they carry into each country meets the requirements of that country...Failure to do so will result in a fine being imposed on the carrier & possibly the remaining passengers would not be permitted to disembark..

Therefore it would behoove each passenger to check with the various consulates of the counties their ship will be porting in for their regulations..

For instance to enter Brazil this is what the Consulate General of Brazil Web site states in their FAQ section:

http://www.brazilsf.org/visa_faq_eng.htm#20

blank.gif18. I just received my new passport and it is not 6 months old. Does it mean I will not be able to get my visa?

No. When we say "a valid passport, valid for six months beyond the intended date of arrival in Brazil" we mean that at the moment you enter Brazil your passport has to remain valid for at least six more months. For instance: if you are planning to arrive in Brazil on January 15, your passport has to be valid at least until July 16.

You must have a passport which does not expire for less than 6 months to go into certain countries.. Unquote

Peru has the same requirement: http://peru.gotolatin.com/eng/Info/Hbook/visas.asp

In order to enter the country, you must have a passport with a remaining validity of at least 6 months. If your passport expires while you are in the country you can renew it, free of charge, in your country's embassy in Peru. If your passport is filled with travel stamps but is still valid, you may request more pages added to your passport in your country's embassy. Unquote

Don't know if Cost Rica has the same requirements..

Now the reason for this is if someone becomes ill or has an accident the various countries want assurances that the Psgrs will be able to leave within a reasonable amount of time..Therefore most countries which have this rule, by agreement state it must be valid for 6 months after entering that country..They don't want you to become a burden on their country..

These rules have been in effect for years...So please don't blame the cruise line or the U.S. Government..

Cheers.... :)Betty

Now the reason for this is if someone becomes ill or has an accident the various countries want assurances that the Psgrs will be able to leave within a reasonable amount of time..Therefore most countries which have this rule, by agreement state it must be valid for 6 months after entering that country..

Most countries do not have the six month rule. The reason that some countries have the six month rule is that they can have the six month rule. There is no rhyme or reason to it. It might be because El Presidente's idiot nephew thought it was a good idea in 1956. A sensible bureaucracy would require that passports be valid for the duration of your stay, but bureaucracies are not sensible.

If Brazil decides they do not want a US citizen in their country they can have him on the next flight out, passport or no passport. As bepsf pointed out, the US embassy or consulate will help a US citizen with passport problems. They will renew a passport for someone that is stuck in a Brazilian hospital. It is their job.

Our passports have to be renewed every 5 years but they are really only valid for 4 1/2 years.:(

We renewed ours this past spring before a trip to California this summer even though the expiry date on them was November.

I believe passports have to be valid for 6 months after the date of your return and we aren't willing to take the chance that this isn't true.

Deen

Our passports have to be renewed every 5 years but they are really only valid for 4 1/2 years.:(

We renewed ours this past spring before a trip to California this summer even though the expiry date on them was November.

I believe passports have to be valid for 6 months after the date of your return and we aren't willing to take the chance that this isn't true.

Deen

And, beginning in 2011, Passport Canada will begin issuing 10 year passports!:)

There's a really easy solution to the "six month" rule, and the fact that you don't get full value of your passport validity.

When you send in the renewal, you have to send your old passport.

If the issuing agency picked up your new issue date to be the day after your old passport expires, there would be no gaps.

Got to wonder how much extra money comes in to the government with all these extra 6-month renewals. :rolleyes:

OK - Do I have a problem? We are booked on Neiuw Amsterdam November 28 - December 12 and visiting Mexico, Grand Turk, Grand Cayman, and Netherlands Antilles.

My passport expires January 11, 2011. I really do not want to hassle with getting a new one in the next 3 weeks. Will I be denied boarding in FLL?

OK - Do I have a problem? We are booked on Neiuw Amsterdam November 28 - December 12 and visiting Mexico, Grand Turk, Grand Cayman, and Netherlands Antilles.

My passport expires January 11, 2011. I really do not want to hassle with getting a new one in the next 3 weeks. Will I be denied boarding in FLL?

Don't think you will have a problem, but you would be remiss in taking any ones advice here!

Look up each countries regulations yourself & see if you will be required to have a passport which is valid for 6 months after your port of call in each country..If you can't do that, call or send an e-mail to the closest consulate of each country...Be sure you get it in writing or the name of the person & the date you spoke to them..

Asking us to do this work is not in your best interest..:eek:

Or you can call your Travel Agent, & ask them...However I would never take any TA's word unless I looked the info up myself..

If you are denied boarding, you have only yourself to blame!

Cheers...:)Betty

Re my previous post...You may need to have a valid passport good for 6 months for grand cayman..You should check this out very carefully yourself...

Check this out:

http://www.caymanislands.ky/cruise/entry_requirements.aspx

American citizens as of January 23rd, 2007 entering the Cayman Islands will require a valid passport, for more information on this visit: http://travel.state.gov/travel/passport.

Canadian citizens Do Not Require passports, but must present proof of Citizenship. Proof of Citizenship include:

Passport or Birth certificate with a raised seal & Photo Id (i.e. Driver's License)

* Photocopies of Birth Certificates need to have the copy notarized by a Notary Public.

All those entering the Cayman Islands who require a passport should ensure that the passport is valid for six months after date of return.

Good Luck....Betty

Edited by serendipity1499