Coral, Island or Diamond Princess..............

CenTexGal

For general information, none of these above cruisetours, get into Denali Park. Tour AAX is the "worse", since it is busing to Denali park 7-8 hours from Whittier, then only 4 hours in Denali the next am, as the train to Talkeetna leaves at noon.

Train Denali/Whittier is 10 hours, bus about 8 hours.

Determine, if the McKinley Princess is where you want to be?? Most times, you will not see McKinley, flightseeing is an excellent option to consider, if you do.

Determine- why you are going to Denali Park?? Many people, it's for the wildlife and scenery. None of these tours offer that. You can compare it to going to Disneyland and not getting through Main Street.

The Park Road into Denali Park is 90 miles. The public road is 16 miles. The scenery is well past that, with Polychrome Pass significant. Wildlife is far more, likely seen the farther you go, with many times, no sightings on/from the public road. Having this feature decided upon for your touring preferences, is necessary for getting the tour you want.

I was originally booked on CB3 but changed it to EB4 just to have 2 nights in Denali. This way I have already upgraded to the Tundra Wilderness Tour based on the threads. This tour is not much more money so I decided it was the better deal. With this tour you only travel one way from Fairbanks and it is all by rail.

• 3 weeks later...

we have just booked on Coral Princess to sail Sept 10 out of Vancouver. I have been reading other people's posts and wondered if anyone had done Alaska this late in year-will we miss the whales and eagles?

I have already decided we need to try to upgradae to a balcony, and gotten some ideas about shopping for binoculars, but was second guessing our decision to go to Alaska so late in the season.

Thanks for all input in advance!

we have just booked on Coral Princess to sail Sept 10 out of Vancouver. I have been reading other people's posts and wondered if anyone had done Alaska this late in year-will we miss the whales and eagles?

I did a 14-day on the Radiance this year, September 10-24 and it was by far the best whale watching I've ever had from the ship (of 9 Alaska cruises). There are always lots of eagles. Athough we had incredibly good weather, that is NOT the norm - September is normally wet with shorter days (12 hours of daylight instead of 20).

I have already decided we need to try to upgradae to a balcony, and gotten some ideas about shopping for binoculars, but was second guessing our decision to go to Alaska so late in the season.

Thanks for all input in advance!

You are going during full whale "viewing". They don't migrate until November- humpbacks. Eagles are everywhere anyway.

The problem you have with your timeframe is you are too late in Denali Park, if you are going there. The shuttle buses are done. And only the costly tour buses, shorter distances. Fall is over in Denali.

If you aren't going to Denali, there may be some limitations on other touring as well. Be sure to verify dates of operation.

Most important, is to be WELL prepared in your attire. WARM layers, and good rain gear.

You are going during full whale "viewing". They don't migrate until November- humpbacks. Eagles are everywhere anyway.

The problem you have with your timeframe is you are too late in Denali Park, if you are going there. The shuttle buses are done. And only the costly tour buses, shorter distances. Fall is over in Denali.

If you aren't going to Denali, there may be some limitations on other touring as well. Be sure to verify dates of operation.

Most important, is to be WELL prepared in your attire. WARM layers, and good rain gear.

thanks for the info - we are going to be at Denali 2 days and McKinley 2 days, and are signed up for the "wilderness tour", but I would like to do a longer one, so may change. We are doing the 12 day cruisetour on Coral Princess-this will be our first Alaska trip, so I looked at all the options, then talked to a TA and told her what we wanted and she suggested this one.

Hope this won't our last Alaska trip - we are really looking forward to it!

We are looking at booking a similiar cruse/tour on 9/10 on Coral Princess and I have a question. Did you choose the tour which has a motocoach ride to Denali or did you choose the one that has the train ride to Denali? I read on one thread that the motorcoach ride is nice because it goes through many small towns but also that the train ride is very scenic and would probably be less travel time. Has anyone done both of these modes of transportation and if so....which one did you like best? Thanks....

we are booked on this cruisetour also - GA5? check out the roll call page for this, too-several people are already on. We are doing the one with the train ride, adn ending up in Fairbanks.

We sailed on the Island in June with a 12 day cruise tour. We loved the ship, sailed out of Vancouver on a Monday and it was the only ship in port which made things very nice. Be sure and trade your tour in Denali to the Denali Park Wilderness tour, its about 9 hours, but worth every minute. We also did the train, Direct to the Wilderness, which we enjoyed. We saw Mt. McKinley from the train, and they stopped so we could take pictures, also slowed for other things along the way. Enjoy!

glad to hear this about the train-we are booked on the Coral leaving Vancouver on Sept 10 on a 12 day cruise/tour-I agree about the Wilderness tour-have already decided to upgrade to this one. We are 2 days each at Mckinley and Denali, ending up in Fairbanks

can't wait!!

glad to hear this about the train-we are booked on the Coral leaving Vancouver on Sept 10 on a 12 day cruise/tour-I agree about the Wilderness tour-have already decided to upgrade to this one. We are 2 days each at Mckinley and Denali, ending up in Fairbanks

can't wait!!

You do know that seats are assigned by Princess, and their set up is table style?? A group of 4 works out well, but two do ride backward the entire trip.

thanks for the info - we are going to be at Denali 2 days and McKinley 2 days, and are signed up for the "wilderness tour", but I would like to do a longer one, so may change. We are doing the 12 day cruisetour on Coral Princess-this will be our first Alaska trip, so I looked at all the options, then talked to a TA and told her what we wanted and she suggested this one.

Hope this won't our last Alaska trip - we are really looking forward to it!

This sounds like it's the best choice for you. :)

Archived