Belize

KROBI

I booked Banister Island through Carnival, Carnival has informed me the trip has been canceled. I thought we would hang around the port, are there shops close buy and other things to do? Thanks for any info..

When we were in Belize in May, we took the tender into town after our snorkeling excursion. There is some pretty good shops and restaurants right at the pier. It was recommended to us that you not go into the town and it looks to be fenced off so you can't even get out. So we went to the Wet Lizard bar and restaurant, had a drink and ordered fish for lunch. It was really good. The bar is upstairs, so it you could catch the breeze to help cool you off.

Belize City is the LAST place I'd want to just hang around the port. There are some limited food options, a few shops (Diamonds International and their like) and some souvenir stalls inside the secure fenced port compound, but you'll get bored with that quickly.

It gets sketchy as soon as you exit the fence.

I highly recommend you find an alternate activity to fill your day in Belize or just stay on board the ship and have it almost all to yourself.

When we were in Belize in May, we took the tender into town after our snorkeling excursion. There is some pretty good shops and restaurants right at the pier. It was recommended to us that you not go into the town and it looks to be fenced off so you can't even get out. So we went to the Wet Lizard bar and restaurant, had a drink and ordered fish for lunch. It was really good. The bar is upstairs, so it you could catch the breeze to help cool you off.

Recos to NOT go into Belize City are a bit of misinformation from the cruise lines (not just Carnival) and Tourist Village to keep cruisers inside. That said, there's not a lot of tourist oriented things to see in Belize City itself. It is a working city not a tourist destination. Yes you can exit the TV area. You will be aggressively approached by independent vendors trying to get you to take their tour or horsedrawn carriage. That is off-putting for many. But it is a pleasant walk to the right along the seawall and lighthouse and there is a small flea market nearby with some craftsy items for sale. Tthe 2 restaurants just outside the Tourist Village cater to wealthier clientele and can be a bit pricey for just lunch...better for dinner. And if you go left out of the TV, you're just a short distance fromt he water taxis that can take you out to Caye Caulker or Ambergris Caye.

As far as Bannister Island, on the Belize board there is a thread that says Hurricane Richard washed away a lot of the beach and possibly blew down the palapas. So until that gets repaired, if ever since it's very costly to import sand to the location, no vendors are offering excursions to B.I.. Goffs Caye appears to be the alternative for some vendor's excursions--bring a towl to lay on.

Yes, I agree with the other posters. When we were there in 2008 they would not allow a member of our party to go past the gates and "wander".

Please plan another Carnival excursion

If you are into archeology, try one of the Mayan ruin sites. The one that we did was awesome. If not, try the zoo, it is very good as well. I am not sure what the damage was from the latest hurricane but try to go with the flow...

I am sure that Carnival will try to offer some type of excursion

BTW Belize was one of our favorite excursions, so I hope that you enjoy it as well.

Cave tubing is what we have planned.

I read numerous posts from people talking about how "bad" or "rundown" Belize is. Almost making it out to be a lesser version of Somalia(crime, etc.). Yet, almost every other night on HGTV, they are in Belize with Americans buying a vacation home.

Now, I know it is TV to start with, and I am sure they are in better parts of the country, but why do so many people bash this country?

I am a 4'11", 120 pound woman. I wandered all over Belize City with no problem. Yes I was asked again and again if I wanted a tour, I just said no. I went to see the lighthouse, the swing bridge and a few cemetarys. I also stopped at my favorite fabric store across from one of the banks to purchase silks at drop dead prices.

It is a working city with just a few sights to see but the people are amazing and friendly. Each time I asked a question they assisted the loco gringa no problemo.

Do what is within your comfort level but I have no issue with going outside the TV.

Has anyone heard any news about the effect of the Hurricane on Belize and how the cruise ships are handling that stop?

There's a thread on the Belize port board with some pictures. Appears to be a lot of what could be called minor wind damage, but electricity is supposed to have been restored. Triumph was suppose to have been there yesterday, Legend and Valor tomorrow, so we'll hear soon if there are any real issues affecting tendering. Lots of rain so rivers may be flooding or high over the next week or so.

Cave tubing is what we have planned.

I read numerous posts from people talking about how "bad" or "rundown" Belize is. Almost making it out to be a lesser version of Somalia(crime, etc.). Yet, almost every other night on HGTV, they are in Belize with Americans buying a vacation home.

Now, I know it is TV to start with, and I am sure they are in better parts of the country, but why do so many people bash this country?

Most the shows that show house hunting for vacation homes in Belize that I have seen are on Ambergris Caye. Which is an Island off the mainland of Belize. Like Roatan is off the mainland of Honduras......

We have freinds that go suba diving 2 times a year in Belize and have had no problems. The last cruise we were on I asked the tour guide about hearing that Belize is not safe. He said the cruise line started that years ago to scare people from booking things from outside from what the cruise offers. He said he knew one person from Europe was robbed and he thought it was because he was flashing alot of money. He said he wouldn't flash money in any poor city anywhere. We were told how bad Rotan was and been there 2 times with no problem. Lots of street vendors and kids asking you for a 1 or 2 but I get that here in Chicago so I wouldn't call that unsafe. Go have fun and enjoy:D

Mike

I booked Banister Island through Carnival, Carnival has informed me the trip has been canceled. I thought we would hang around the port, are there shops close buy and other things to do? Thanks for any info..

You will be tendered to the dock in Belize where there is an entire shopping village contained within iron gates for cruise ship pax. DH & I can spend an entire day within those shops just looking around and shopping shops that offer wares from Belize and neighboring Guatemala items.

There are several restaurants (Wet Lizard is our favorite. Got to love it) and a few pharmacies where you can purchase prescription drugs for a fraction of the cost in the US; shops that offer tropical clothing to shops offering local carved wooden wares to the normal cruise stop jewelry stores, liquor stores, etc.

So answer to your question is, ``Yes, there are things to do at the port'' that don't include an excursion.

DH & I have been to Belize 8 - 10 times over the past few years, have never left the shopping village and still look forward to stopping there on cruises. We will be back there in a few weeks and look forward to shopping a few of our favorite stores and then kicking back with some cold Belikin beers and a plate of great conch fritters at the West Lizard as we watch all the other cruisers pass by on their way to excursions.:cool:

Dianne

Recos to NOT go into Belize City are a bit of misinformation from the cruise lines (not just Carnival) and Tourist Village to keep cruisers inside.

am a 4'11", 120 pound woman. I wandered all over Belize City with no problem. Yes I was asked again and again if I wanted a tour, I just said no. I went to see the lighthouse, the swing bridge and a few cemetarys. I also stopped at my favorite fabric store across from one of the banks to purchase silks at drop dead prices.

It is a working city with just a few sights to see but the people are amazing and friendly. Each time I asked a question they assisted the loco gringa no problemo.

Do what is within your comfort level but I have no issue with going outside the TV.

The last cruise we were on I asked the tour guide about hearing that Belize is not safe. He said the cruise line started that years ago to scare people from booking things from outside from what the cruise offers.

Thanks to all of the above for posting. It kills me that the cruise lines are still scaring people about Belize City. We have been twice and never had a problem walking outside the Tourist Village. Oh no, locals walking up to tourists and offering tours! Scary!! :p

As stated, its all about how comfortable you are. you will get approached by the vendors. I have been in Belize for three years and still get solicited every time I make a trip into the city.

Just outside of the gates of tourist village are taxis. All taxis have green licence plates. You can head for one and negotiate a price to get away from the village to the seawall or any place in the city. It will not be any more than $10 us each way for anywhere in the city.

I have to go into the city tomorrow...First time since the storm...I will check out the damage.

we just got back from our cruise. We went to Belize. We did cave tubing with cave-tubing.com You don't pay them until you are done with your tour. I think it was less than $50 a person, I was very happy with them. They were explaining that the other cave tubing operators usually only take you through one cave (they take you thru two). Also a group of Jamacian's took over a cave tubing operation (used by most cruise lines now) and the Jamacian's are doing some really underhanded things trying to run these folks out. They are a family owned business, really great people. We did ATV Jungle Tour and the Caves and we paid $75/person - they included lunch. Some really yummy chicken and rice.

Thanks so much for all the info. We are looking at going there this year. We decided last year to go w/ the Eastern since we where traveling w/ friends and there young ones. We figured HMC, Grand Turks much more laid back for them. We enjoyed 2 fun days at the beach and 2 fun days exploring. I will admit I read some bad reviews and have been scared to try the western but we are ready to see something new!

oct29630am.jpg

"It rained buckets last night, The ground is so soaked its driving the ants and termites out. This morning however the sky is clear and sunny, the sea state is calm and it gona be a great day to go out snorkeling. I got lucky this morning and a couple of dolphin graced my photo."

Archived