Turku Shipyard shutting down after Allure

BaumD

Thank goodness!!!!

Lets get back to making cruise ships and not amusement parks. :eek::eek::eek:

i guess you missed the header....the shipyard is CLOSING; not ceasing to build megaships. there will be thousands of people affected by this loss of work. :(

But how could USA Today possibly be wrong? :rolleyes::rolleyes:

"STX Finland Oy and Viking Line ABP have signed a preliminary agreement for the construction of an environmentally friendly, new generation cruise ferry for Viking Line. The agreement includes an option for a sister ship. The ship price will be about 240 million euros, and will be built at Turku shipyard for delivery in the beginning of 2013. "

From the STX website.

The shipyard is not being shut down forever. The shipyard will be idled until next spring when work on the ferry is started. However, that project will employ only about 20 percent of the workforce that constructed the monster cruisers.

Thank goodness!!!!

Yes and lets put many workers out of a job and hurt their families because someone doesn't like large ships.:rolleyes:

Fortunately the shipyard just signed an agreement to build a new ferry so it won't be idle for long.

Gee it wasn't that long ago that us Americans used to build nice ships too.

(Last cruise ships in Mississippi?)

Nobody seems to get worked up about that on these boards.

Oh yeah, don't forget about the Italians (Ficantieri). They build them pretty nice too.

The Turku shipyard activity for the building of Oasis and Allure was subsidized by the Finnish government in a working agreement with RCI.

This slow-down in building activity is an inevitable after-effect of that and a current oversupply of available cabins in the cruise industry

and tankers in the oil industry.

Thank goodness!!!!

I noticed that aside from your 1996 cruise on the late SOA, the other five were on ships that hold 3,600 people. Once upon a time, people with your point of view considered them "monster" ships.

All in the eyes of the beholder.

Oh yeah, don't forget about the Italians (Ficantieri). They build them pretty nice too.

The Turku shipyard activity for the building of Oasis and Allure was subsidized by the Finnish government in a working agreement with RCI.

This slow-down in building activity is an inevitable after-effect of that and a current oversupply of available cabins in the cruise industry

Yes, but there is no reason to rejoice in the potential misfortune of individuals and families.

I think the role of the Finnish government through its export agency Finnvera was to help in financing and credit guarantees. This is common in other countries as well.

The Allure was handed over today, so whatever was going to happen, starts today.

And it should start sailing from Turku tomorrow Friday at 6AM local time. The weather hasn't been too good on the Baltic so there might be delays. A local newspaper said that wind force must not be over 5-8 m/s when leaving the yard. Then there's the thrilling Store Belt bridge and then it's nonstop to Florida with a speed of 18-19 knots.

Anytime jobs are lost it isn't a good thing. Hopefully the ferry market will hold the shipyard until the next Cruise Line New Builds are ordered. I think we have seen the last huge ships for a while. I would guess that they would revisit the Radiance Class Panamax concept for the next new builds. But that is just a guess.

I think the role of the Finnish government through its export agency Finnvera was to help in financing and credit guarantees. This is common in other countries as well.

Not passing judgement, just stating the facts. BTW I wish we in the U.S.A. wouldn't be so timid in making these private-public partnerships to stimulate major business projects.

Yes, but there is no reason to rejoice in the potential misfortune of individuals and families.

Did I mention jumping up and down with glee about workers being idled? No; having been laid off before I know how it stinks. Having been a victim of downsizing and reduncy for the sake of pleasing shareholders and funding my boss's Holiday bonus I can certainly identify with that.

Staying on topic:

The fact is that the building of Oasis and Allure were 2 massive undertakings which were created out of a private-public effort and that

it was an artificially unsustainable level of production.

Let's hope the wisest of the workers were smart enough to realize this and put a sizable amount of funds in reserve to live off of until the next up-phase in the building cycle.

In addition let's hope they can find work in repair and maintenance of existing ships which is what happens when there is limited new building going on.

• 2 years later...

the Turku shipyard has gotten a few new orders recently. The spectacular new Mein Schiff 3 by TUI (largest cruise ship in europe) is being built by STX europe in Turku, as well as Viking Grace. Now Rccl has ordered another Oasisclassship to be built by STX europe in Turku, Finland.

Archived