Lobster Claws in the Cafe Carib- Emerald P

rcacace

I was surprised to fine hot lobster claws served on the second formal night in the Cafe Carib along with crab claws & hot & cold shrimp.

It was the first time for us in a great while that they offered lobster in any form at the buffet and great reason not to have to dress up for the dining room & still enjoy the seafood. Although is wasen't that crowded (any more than normal), I imagine when the word spreads around, many people who don't like dressing will abandone the DR for the buffet on formal nights which should make the formalists very happy. ;) Just about all the items being served in the main DR were at the buffet. :D

Lobster claws were in Cafe Caribe when we were onboard the Emerald in February but they were so rubbery that the meat had to be cut with a knife. Evidently they were frozen for months and then cooked far too long.:eek:

Mike:)

I was surprised to fine hot lobster claws served on the second formal night in the Cafe Carib along with crab claws & hot & cold shrimp.

It was the first time for us in a great while that they offered lobster in any form at the buffet and great reason not to have to dress up for the dining room & still enjoy the seafood. Although is wasen't that crowded (any more than normal), I imagine when the word spreads around, many people who don't like dressing will abandone the DR for the buffet on formal nights which should make the formalists very happy. ;) Just about all the items being served in the main DR were at the buffet. :D

When?

Lobster claws were in Cafe Caribe when we were onboard the Emerald in February but they were so rubbery that the meat had to be cut with a knife. Evidently they were frozen for months and then cooked far too long.:eek:

We found the same thing last May Mike. They had a small amount of both claws offered, but they were simply terrible. DH tried them and ate probably one, and said 'YUCK'. Hopefully they are improving from what we found. OP, glad you were able to enjoy the claws. :)

I agree with Toto and Mike. Had them on Crown in July. Huge bowl full of claws that were terrible. What an unfortunate waste of money. They were cold and rubbery and tasteless. I did not try them the second time they had them.

When?

Oct 27, 2010

We found the same thing last May Mike. They had a small amount of both claws offered, but they were simply terrible. DH tried them and ate probably one, and said 'YUCK'. Hopefully they are improving from what we found. OP, glad you were able to enjoy the claws. :)

Yes they did have the crab claws and they didn't seem to be worth the trouble but the lobster claws were fine & cooked just perfect. Although there were no crab legs like the sailaway on past cruises, the lobster & shrimp were more than sufficient along with the beef Wellington.

It was the first time for us in a great while that they offered lobster in any form at the buffet and great reason not to have to dress up for the dining room & still enjoy the seafood. Although is wasen't that crowded (any more than normal), I imagine when the word spreads around, many people who don't like dressing will abandone the DR for the buffet on formal nights

Shh.. stop spreading the word around - supposed to be a secret!! (Well.. it's ok to tell me - but....)

Nice to hear from you again.

Doug

Oct 27, 2010

Yes they did have the crab claws and they didn't seem to be worth the trouble but the lobster claws were fine & cooked just perfect. Although there were no crab legs like the sailaway on past cruises, the lobster & shrimp were more than sufficient along with the beef Wellington.

Agree on the lobster claw and the crab claw (the crab claw is Stonecrab claw and most likely are those from Mexico, far inferior than those from Florida water). The lobster claws were done right and were surprisingly flavorful. In fact my MDR lobster tails were aweful. (small, slimy and smelly and I only took 2 bites. The second one was just acceptable but not flavorful.)

On our 10/09 sailing, there was an assistant headwaiter? cracked the claws for you when he saw you had those on your plate. We found that not very convenient. On our subsequent servings we basically took our plates /bowls out to the pool side and ate them there. During our transatlantic cruising on Eurodam the past April, a waiter showed us how to wrap the claw with the napkin and then twist it, very easy to do to get the meat out.

On the third formal night on Grand sailing 10-11-10, we had a nice appetizer of large, good, tender, hot lobster claws early in the buffet and then lobster tails for dinner in the dining room.

Nice to know since we'll be on the Grand shortly and we can again avoid the formal dressing. I usually eat so many claws I can't even think about going to the dining room for more food anyway.

We were very pleasantly suprised to find the same thing on the Oct 16-23 sailing of the Caribbean Princess. I was so excited that I got a whole plate full of lobster claws only to be even more suprised when a little further down the buffet the had a HUGE pan of Lobster Tails!!! Both were excellent. Plentiful supply!!!!!

We were very pleasantly suprised to find the same thing on the Oct 16-23 sailing of the Caribbean Princess. I was so excited that I got a whole plate full of lobster claws only to be even more suprised when a little further down the buffet the had a HUGE pan of Lobster Tails!!! Both were excellent. Plentiful supply!!!!!

Wow. It's even getting better with tails being served. No formal dressing & lobster tails to. What more can you ask for.

Oh my :eek: maybe lobster tails too! I will look hard for those. Dh & I usually fill our plates with the claws and crabs and keep a 3rd plate for shells, which fills up fast. In two weeks we will get to do this again. Sooo good.

I think they are actually cooked twice. Once when fresh, then frozen, then re-cooked for serving. What a way to kill a nice lobster.

I think they are actually cooked twice. Once when fresh, then frozen, then re-cooked for serving. What a way to kill a nice lobster.

That is correct, they should just be broughtt up to serving temperature the second time but this was not the case.:eek:

Archived