won't be sailing on the Destiny ever again...

kperkins1982

So, I guess I've been spoiled being on newer ships all these years.

just got off the Destiny and I can say I won't be going back

This is for several reasons.

1. No thermostat in the room. Just a vent in the ceiling with low and hi as options. I was so hot the entire cruise. (to put this in perspective, I keep it about 76 in my house, I'm cold blooded) so for me to be hot, it was HOT

I would chew on ice cubes from the ice bucket to cool down. Wake up every morning covered in sweat. The cabin steward, and guest services was unable to assist, but agreed it was hot.

2. no minibar fridge in room. Gotta tell you, cold drinks from that thing wouldn't have stayed long in the heat, so they lost some money not having a fridge in the room like on the newer ships.

3. the TV didn't have the sign and sail account, the menu's or room service, I had to contact guest services to check on sign and sail account from time to time. (late night drinking adds up on the boat lol)

4. no steak house, boo......

5. there were several areas where the destiny showed its age and kinda disapointed me.

however, I will say, that a terrific wait staff more than made up for any cons the ship had. This guy, Jorge needs a raise and a half, I already wrote a letter talking about how awesome the guy is. Not just terrific service, but very friendly and by the end of the trip all the girls with us were hugging him and I kinda miss the guy lol

1. No thermostat in the room. Just a vent in the ceiling with low and hi as options. I was so hot the entire cruise. (to put this in perspective, I keep it about 76 in my house, I'm cold blooded) so for me to be hot, it was HOT

I would chew on ice cubes from the ice bucket to cool down. Wake up every morning covered in sweat. The cabin steward, and guest services was unable to assist, but agreed it was hot.

2. no minibar fridge in room. Gotta tell you, cold drinks from that thing wouldn't have stayed long in the heat, so they lost some money not having a fridge in the room like on the newer ships.

3. the TV didn't have the sign and sail account, the menu's or room service, I had to contact guest services to check on sign and sail account from time to time. (late night drinking adds up on the boat lol)

5. there were several areas where the destiny showed its age and kinda disapointed me.

however, I will say, that a terrific wait staff more than made up for any cons the ship had. This guy, Jorge needs a raise and a half, I already wrote a letter talking about how awesome the guy is. Not just terrific service, but very friendly and by the end of the trip all the girls with us were hugging him and I kinda miss the guy lol

Sorry to hear that altho she is not a new ship.. we really enjoyed our B2B on her and would go again in a heartbeat;)

I'm really glad you posted this. I'm a fan of the Conquest class of ships and honestly didn't realize that not all ships had the account/menu info on the TV or the fridges, etc........ until I was on the Fascination a few weeks ago. While it would never be something that would ruin a cruise, I didn't like not having them. I thought since the Destiny was a bigger class, it would have these things. Great to know... thank you!

And super great that you still found things to enjoy about the cruise. I feel bad for folks that let things ruin the overall cruise, but I don't think there's anything wrong with deciding what you like in a ship and what you don't. Happy cruising!!!!!

One thing that I've learned over the years is to go on a cruise with realistic expectations. In other words, don't go on a ship built 14 years ago expecting the same ammenities found on a ship that was built within the last 5 years.

The lack of a steakhouse, fridges, or more modern interactive systems & in-cabin thermostats is information that could've been found right here on this forum before you sailed.

I had a pretty similar experience with the Destiny. I sailed her after sailing a bunch of newer Carnival ships. I didn't book that particular cruise, my family did, and I guess they were unaware of things like age, different ships having different amenities, etc. The crew was amazing but I would never sail Destiny again. It looks every bit of its age.

I'm really glad you posted this. I'm a fan of the Conquest class of ships and honestly didn't realize that not all ships had the account/menu info on the TV or the fridges, etc........ until I was on the Fascination a few weeks ago. While it would never be something that would ruin a cruise, I didn't like not having them. I thought since the Destiny was a bigger class, it would have these things. Great to know... thank you!

!

Carnival Trivia

Destiny was the first Carnival ship outfitted with Funvision and for whatever reason, it was removed several years ago and never re-installed.

Destiny also had a swim up bar at the aft the ship, it was so much fun to drink right from the pool. I think there were a few incidents during Spring Break that caused its removal;)

From all my 22 cruises in the last 3.5 years the Destiny(my first Carnival cruise) was my least favorite ship and cruise (not the islands) and I thought never again Carnival. But after a while I said no this can't be the norm for Carnival and tried the Valor and the rest you can see below in my signature.6 other Carnival ships.

We sailed Destiny a few years back. I think our friends had issues being a bit warm in the cabin but other than that we really enjoyed the ship! Now that we sailed one a little bigger (Liberty) it will be interesting to see if I will miss things.

Glad you had a good trip otherwise!!

One thing that I've learned over the years is to go on a cruise with realistic expectations. In other words, don't go on a ship built 14 years ago expecting the same ammenities found on a ship that was built within the last 5 years.

The lack of a steakhouse, fridges, or more modern interactive systems & in-cabin thermostats is information that could've been found right here on this forum before you sailed.

So true. We had an awesome cruise on her earlier this month.

the air and not the heat were on right?

I know that plenty of folks that don't like Destiny. Fond memories here of her. The hot cabin problem with me was on Pride. Did the same as you. Woke up soaking wet.

Funny, we had a problem with the thermostat as well on the Glory...it just did not work and it was hot and dry inside the cabin (no balcony this time). That was at the end of Sept so I hope they fixed it by now.

I wasn't really impressed by Destiny either and we got it right after dry dock. We had issues with the air as well...and not having a balcony made things worse. I am much more a fan of the spirit class ships...loved Legend and Miracle:)

:cool:Hi Linda!! For some reason Destiny never did feel right for me also???:confused: Don't know why, but I loved the ports we went to and cruising with the S&S's how could you go wrong!!!:p

Archived