Bomb on plane in UK raises concern in US

Sargent_Schultz

The article???? You REALLY trust an AP writer who got carefully crafted quotes from company spokespeople to give you the straight scoop about what REALLY goes on behind the scene???

As much as I do on just about anything posted on the Internet. ;)

A Pulsed Fast Neutron Analysis scanner can detect lots of things. One is used at the El Paso border crossing to scan fully loaded truck containers.

When you're talking about terrorists, I really think you have to forget about their citizenship or place of birth. Any citizen from any country can and has been radicalized. It can happen anywhere. :(

Which was pretty much my point; at least this time they put the restrictions on all flights, as opposed to assuming just the 'outside world' was evil.

I see even Canada has now banned toner cartridges weighing over a pound. Better late than never.

http://english.cri.cn/6966/2010/11/09/167s603833.htm

Also the Canadian Somalis may have to endure hardships.

The original thread title certainly seems to be spot on.

And your point is???? TOO Fricking BAD!!!

Crack down on the Al Queda sympathizers???? There is a large contingent of Somalis in Minneapolis. MOST are taxi drivers (who ban dogs, wine, booze and single women) BUT there are a few I run into frequently who are truck drivers. They won't deal with a woman (I own the da*** company and have for over 30 years AND have 4 women dispatchers), they won't haul certain products (three weeks ago was some type of food additive that MAY have some type of pork derivative-you really think we have time to find out ALL the ingredients in a product???). IF you want to live in America, you THINK and ACT AMERICAN. IF you want to get into the ethnic world, DO NOT call on AMERICAN companies to pay your salary!!! PLEASE go to the ethnic companies who DO NOT think like AMERICANS. I have now banned all Somali truck drivers from loading ANY of our freight. I don't live in Somalia, I do not have to abide by ISLAM.

Let's get real, America. This IS AMERICA. NOT Saudi, not Yemen, not Somalia, not any place else other than the USA. You want to live in America-LOOOSE your ethnicity-you don't have to loose your culture but you sure have to do things the AMERICAN way. My Grandparents sure did (direct from Italy on 1912). They were PROUD to be AMERICANS-NOT sucking up our riches and hoping we could conform to THEIR religion/ethnicity/mores/etc.etc as so many are today!!!

Why in the H*** are we kowtowing to other cultures??? Seems REALLY UN AMERICAN to me.

And your point is???? TOO Fricking BAD!!!

Why in the H*** are we kowtowing to other cultures??? Seems REALLY UN AMERICAN to me.

Exactly and we shouldn't. Nor should we tolerate them trying to tell us how to secure our borders.

In a related story:

Scotland Yard: Cartridge bomb might have exploded over Eastern U.S.

http://www.cnn.com/2010/WORLD/europe/11/10/britain.cargo.explosives/index.html?hpt=T2

I see even Canada has now banned toner cartridges weighing over a pound. Better late than never.

http://english.cri.cn/6966/2010/11/09/167s603833.htm

Also the Canadian Somalis may have to endure hardships.

The original thread title certainly seems to be spot on.

What exactly are you trying to say here

SS: Better late than never

Fact: "..just hours after a similar announcement by U.S..."

Also, generally you'll get better Canadian news from a Canadian website, not a Chinese one.

What exactly are you trying to say here

SS: Better late than never

Fact: "..just hours after a similar announcement by U.S..."

Also, generally you'll get better Canadian news from a Canadian website, not a Chinese one.

Not sure what "better news" even means, but I think in general, you can get more objective news from an international source.

Also not sure what you have against the Chinese? Are you disputing the article? Please feel free to post a link to a Canadian version of the story.

I have now banned all Somali truck drivers from loading ANY of our freight. I don't live in Somalia, I do not have to abide by ISLAM.

I am sure you mean only those Somalis that insist on the rules you found inconvenient, and not solely based on their heritage or religion.

Let's get real, America. This IS AMERICA. NOT Saudi, not Yemen, not Somalia, not any place else other than the USA. You want to live in America-LOOOSE your ethnicity-you don't have to loose your culture but you sure have to do things the AMERICAN way. My Grandparents sure did (direct from Italy on 1912). They were PROUD to be AMERICANS-NOT sucking up our riches and hoping we could conform to THEIR religion/ethnicity/mores/etc.etc as so many are today!!!

As far as "losing my ethnicity", I refuse to do so. I have lost enough of it by living in a rural community without a Greek population, although that of course was my own choice. I will fly my Greek flag every March 25 on Greek Independence Day, celebrate Easter a week later than everyone else, and roast a lamb in my back yard (well, not really, but if my family were bigger I would :) )

I don't want to live in a world where all the restaurants serve only American cuisine, whatever that might be. I like seeing women dressed in saris walking in downtown NY, and I enjoy visiting places like Chinatown, Little Italy, and Astoria. Some people can not afford to visit places all over the world as you and I can, so local culture is all they get. And you would even ban religious freedom? Think of all the beautiful churches and cathedrals that would be gone.... and really, which religion would you choose to be the "American" one?

I am sure your grandparents were just as proud to be Italians as they were to be Americans. Pride is not mutually exclusive and we don't have to choose one at the expense of the other. It sounds like the drivers you are talking about did make that choice and I agree that they should not take a job that they can not do effectively, whether based on religion or personal taste or any other reason. But telling Americans to lose their ethnicity is hyperbolic and detrimental to the culturally enriched society we live in.

Archived