Least expensinsive for family of 5

mark290

My wife and I would like to take a cruise with our three children ages 10, 10 and three. This will not be our first cruise but our first as a family of five.

We would like to take a seven day Caribbean cruise in April. Any suggestions on what the least expensive options would be in terms of boat, cruise line and cabin configuration ? We would prefer a newer, large ship. Our departure ports in order of preference would be Port Canaveral, Tampa and then Ft. Lauderdale. We would be driving and these are the closest ports to us.

It looks like this cannot be done for less than $4000 and we would like to spend no more than $3000. So far it looks like connecting cabins are our only option. We would consider one cabin if that is an option with any ship. When pricing Carnival on their web site I was initially able to get a price on several ships with all five of us in one room. The cost was under $3000. The next day it would not allow me to price us with all in one room.

Are next choice would be a five night and actually this might be the best length of cruise for us. The one we liked on Enchantment of the Seas was also almost $4000. We found a four night on Sovereign for $1900 and this might be what we end up on as the ship has been renovated and this was for two connecting outside cabins. It seems like doubling the cost for one more night is excessive but we have also found there seems to be a big difference in a four night and five night cruise.

Any suggestions or tips ? Have I looked at all the options and should I concede that the cost is going to be around $4000 for anything over four nights ?

Thanks,

Mark

I'm not an expert, but we had the same experience. We are taking my mother on a cruise this summer (1st cruise for all of us.) So, that made 5 people. When I began to look at cruises I was surprised to see it was so hard to fit 5 in a cabin. So, we ended up choosing to do the 4 night Sovereign. We are doing 2 connecting oceanview cabins. It was a little difficult to book the connecting cabins as there aren't that many connecting cabins that have a double connecting to a triple. It is going to cost us around $2500 for the 5 of us. But, we must go during peak times (summers) because I am a teacher and I don't like to take my older DD out of school since she is in middle school and taking advanced classes.

I looked at the Mariner, etc. (7 night cruises), but it was going to cost us around $6000. My mom is happy with the 4 night. She is just happy to be on a cruise!! I think if we like the cruise this time that we will book a 7 night cruise for next year for just me, DH and the kids. So we could fit into a quad.

Maggie

Mark, on the other post I answered I think I forgot to tell you that my 7 night cruise for family of 5, sailing out September 4 out of Galveston, on Elation. I got this for just under 2200.00. Huge discount, will answer any question if needed! Curious with what you settle for:confused: . Kelly

Just booked on the Carnival Victory for 5...in 2 inside cabins for $2250...leaving in 2wks. Great buy!! The Voyager would've been $2900 for two inside cabins.

Carnival has 5 person occupancies on some of their ships...and on RCCL...although kinda costly...you can get their family suite...which holds up to 6.

Hope this helped!!

Traci

Mark, are you talking about this coming April? I hope not, and that you're asking for 2006 because you're not going to find much for this April.

You're in a tough place because I'm not so sure it would be a good idea letting kids as young as yours in a cabin that's completely separate from yours. Plus, when your children are in a cabin by themselves, they are paying the full adult fare, but if they are in your cabin, they only pay a minimum amount. Have you considered NCL? They have the Jewel sailing next year and their inside cabins are in the $700 range for an inside room. Carnival has 7 day cruises that start at $699 for an inside and RCCI has the same price for an inside room for a 7 day cruise. The third and fourth passengers only pay around $250 when sharing with two full fare adults.

I would find a good travel agent and talk to her about this. With 5 in a stateroom, I think you can benefit from the experience a TA can offer. They can sometimes wrangle good prices for families and find cabins that will fit a large family.

• 1 month later...

I was told that the Carnival Triumph has inside staterooms that hold 5. It has 2 uppers...2 lowers that convert to a king and they bring in a roll away each night. I would worry about the space for your stuff. I guess if you pack light and 3 of the people are kids. The prices for NEXT yr were about $699 for the first 2 people and $549 ea for # 3,4,& 5. These cabins are very limited and you need to book early. It might be tight, but affordable.

So Mark,

What did you end up doing? Did you find something suitable? We are a family of 5, too... so I'm familiar with your dilema. ;) This time around it wasn't an issue because my mom is going with us... so my 10 year old is staying in her cabin. But knowing how to accommodate 5 on a cruise (and on a budget!) would certainly be helpful to know for the future.

Carol

My wife and I would like to take a cruise with our three children ages 10, 10 and three. This will not be our first cruise but our first as a family of five.

We would like to take a seven day Caribbean cruise in April. Any suggestions on what the least expensive options would be in terms of boat, cruise line and cabin configuration ? We would prefer a newer, large ship. Our departure ports in order of preference would be Port Canaveral, Tampa and then Ft.Lauderdale. We would be driving and these are the closest ports to us.

It looks like this cannot be done for less than $4000 and we would like to spend no more than $3000. So far it looks like connecting cabins are our only option. We would consider one cabin if that is an option with any ship. When pricing Carnival on their web site I was initially able to get a price on several ships with all five of us in one room. The cost was under $3000. The next day it would not allow me to price us with all in one room.

Are next choice would be a five night and actually this might be the best length of cruise for us. The one we liked on Enchantment of the Seas was also almost $4000. We found a four night on Sovereign for $1900 and this might be what we end up on as the ship has been renovated and this was for two connecting outside cabins. It seems like doubling the cost for one more night is excessive but we have also found there seems to be a big difference in a four night and five night cruise.

Any suggestions or tips ? Have I looked at all the options and should I concede that the cost is going to be around $4000 for anything over four nights ?

Thanks,

Mark

Mark Come on over to the Triumph we have a group cruise we are setting up for April, just for KIDS and Parents! Here is the link! I am sure we can get you in for you budget! We are waiting for our Group Rates from CC at the moment but you can see on Carnivals web site what things are going for on this trip.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=159334

We just booked a cruise on RC. We thought our only option was 2 adjoining cabins (three kids ages 1-6) but found a family ocean view room that sleeps up to 6 people.If you look on their website under ocean view state rooms you can view the layout - Queen Bed, Sofa Bed and a separate 'room' with bunk beds. Perfect! Cost for us was $200 less than 2 inside cabins. Passenger 1&2- full price, passenger 3,4&5 was $399 (Voyager is $499). We liked this option better than the 2 cabins since our kids are small we knew from the moment they wake up they would invade our cabin and it would be although we only had 1 cabin afterall except when they were sleeping. So we preferred the larger "living space/sitting area" in the FO room. Looks about the same square footage as the junior suite but you get the separate bunk bed room in the FO so it sleeps more people.

Two cabins may be a better option if you prefer the extra bathroom.

We just did it (my sister in law will be uor 5th because we are only taking the older boys). we found we could book a group cruise for our dates (found a group here) for 7 days for the same we would have paid for a 5 day. We are just over the 3K mark. We are doing adjoining cabins, three in one two in another. Airfare is going to make it higher, I am not including it.

We went on the Sensation, and had five in the room. It was somewhat crowded, but since we spent so little time in there it wasn't too bad.

When we had six, we had rooms across the hall from each other and had a baby monitor in the inside cabin (where the kids were). That way we were able to hear them ordering room service at 3:00 AM. (and either put a stop to it, or make sure they tipped.)

cgdev1,

We booked on the Radiance. But it appears all the Royal Caribbean ships have this type of room. It is found on the RC website under staterooms/oceanview/family ocean view. It was a little more difficult to price them out on-line as most of the travel agents had to call RC when you have >4 people in a room. Just make sure RC knows you are asking for a "family ocean view stateroom" NOT a family suite. Big difference in price and availability.Seems like a lot of travel agents were unfamiliar with these rooms.

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/findacruise/cabinclass/cabinTypes/cabinType/home.do;jsessionid=0000BYnhqdP8VVFVknB7eD6Y527:v29bc6gq?br=R&cabincls=O&cabinType=FF

Archived