The Dream Has a New Horn

theshowmestate

It's not different- it will still sound the When your wishing on a star- it's just that now it can answe the Wonder or Magic if they are passing with Makes no difference where you are.

They're referring to the horn that is audible in video of the float out; the ship's horn was clearly playing "A Dream Is A Wish Your Heart Makes".

I had also read that the horn was capable of playing the original "When You Wish Upon A Star" and the next line of the song, "Makes No Difference Who You Are".

All of this leads me to think that Dream may have some sort of programmable horn, capable of playing different tunes. Which is pretty cool!

Unless..... they start playing "It's A Small World"....... :eek: :eek: :eek:

I agree, "A Dream is a Wish your Heart Makes" is not as great of a choice... I get it, it is the Disney Dream, but, meh... few people will recognize that song while, "When you Wish upon a Star" has been used in Disney commercials for years.

I agree, "A Dream is a Wish your Heart Makes" is not as great of a choice... I get it, it is the Disney Dream, but, meh... few people will recognize that song while, "When you Wish upon a Star" has been used in Disney commercials for years.

Exactly. The ships whistle on the DCL vessels is part of their brand identity and I believe that Disney would be making a huge mistake changing this. In a way it almost creates a two-tier brand, you have the original Italian ships, and then the 'Dream Class'. Unlike other cruise companies who can afford to have multiple 'classes' of ship I don't believe Disney can.

It may be that their are multiple choices when it comes to the whistle - i hope that there are. I can't imagine people waiting for hours at Port Canaveral to hear "a dream is a wish" - you just have to look at the reaction that got in Germany! The Line, it's service and its achievements and even the Disney brand is much more associated with the 'Mickey Whistle' in my opinion.

I think this is something that was not a bad idea on paper but doesn't translate well in reality.

Sounds like a whale in distress.

Can't fault them for trying but I bet they default back to "When You Wish Upon a Star" as their main choice.

Anyone who's ever seen Cinderella knows the song. But then, who has?

Dream's horn can play pretty much anything. During the floatout from the drydock, she also played "A Pirate's Life for me".

Marc, I'm glad you clarified that. I suspected as much, if for no other reason than the fact that on Dream there are no visible horn "trumpets" on the front of the forward funnel; on Magic and Wonder, there are seven different size white trumpets visible between two of the horizontal white bars. The technology certainly exists today to equip Dream with a programmable horn.

I find it really interesting from a human psychology standpoint of change. "Who moved my cheese?!" comes to mind with all the hubbub about the new horn.

Disney is not changing the horn, they are simply pushing the envelope as they always do. It was already announced that the ship will play WYWUAS as well as the second verse MNDWYA so it could answer another Disney ship, but the technology now allows them to play virtually anything as was evident of ADIAWYHM and the report that it also played APLFM. I honestly can't wait to hear what else.

To those saying the horn sounded muted or different, the video link posted above was from right next to the ship and did not capture the horn very well. This Youtube

is audibly better and visually for the fireworks.

From a branding stand-point, yes WYWUAS is part of Disney legend, from the opening of Disney movies to the Wonderful World of Disney (or Color if you are old enough) TV shows, but Cinderella is a major Disney icon (her castle is the logo and the centerpiece of WDW) and ADIAWYHM is very recognizable and makes total sense to include on a ship called the Dream. JHMO as well.

• 1 month later...

Archived