Cruising Plus-Sized

DandyCandy

Just wanted to start a thread with a specific topic that most of us can relate to. Just any tips or comments or recommendations.

How do you pack your clothes?

what are your must haves? Ex., Shapwear, anti-chaffing gel (I pack those things)

Your favorite brands that help us keep up with the skinny ones.

I've tried rolling my clothes, the tiny square...I would love any tips on packing.

I press e'thing. hang 2-3 pcs together..slip a drycleaner bag over that, then fold in 1/2s or 1/3s even with the hanger repeat, then on to the next. pants fold with f/b crease if they have one, and seam to seam if not . start with them on the bottom, t's 1/2 down the middle, lay flat, blouses, north to sout in 1/2 lay flat. shoes go around the edges, undies fill in the spaces/ if the is more room, fill w/plastic bags. soft side mis sz Tote/duffle..other hard goods, bag of concienence stuff, hair stuff, other shoes ect. Meds, makeup, jewelry eve bags in my roll a board.. unpack immed, since eve things are on hangers..unbag, hang in the bath to steam..hot shower for about 10 min..leave all hanging for about 20 min..then air dry(go to thew sail a way party.Most day wear dosent need steaming..but I hvnt pressed on board in ages. All my cosmetic stuff is in small bottels. If Euro cruze, I take 2 of each, pitch as they are emptied. For pack back up..fold small, or roll, pack tight..eliminate big soft side tote, fold and it goes on top fill in the spaces. wad or pitch plastic bags..now down to one for the hall pick up..and my valuables go off w/me..so off the ship to term w/only 2 bags. I'm a drive to most posts..and if flying, always underweight. I save hotel sample bottles, or get a set at Dollar tree.zip locks are your friend too.

I used to pack my clothes folded in thirds, rolled undies, and packed shoes along the edges. However, since I saw that video with the guy who packed all of those clothes in a backpack I am going to try that method with my suitcase and see how that works. Layering the clothes over the suitcase and then folding them. I will see how it works, if I get more in a suitcase great, I just have to watch the weight of the case.

Wow Lucky! Sounds like you have packing down to an exact science! Can I hire you out to pack for me? LOL

I'm still a 3 bag person, trying to get it down to two. Well actually a 4 bag person. One bag for shoes, 2 small carry-all dresser suitcases and a weekender bag.

We're doing a 9 day and I know Ive packed too much.

Sadiecat, you just gave me an idea on packing! Which has probably solved my problem!

I am notorious for overpacking - and usually have that luggage meltdown right before I cruise as I weigh my luggage to find it overweight as usual! ..(I think bigger clothes with more and take up more space? :D). I do have some of those space saver bags which I use for dirty laundry on the way home (who cares how they look?)....but don't use them on the way down. Would not even dare to pack hangers as for me very OUNCE counts!

Found this 'method' online and may try it out for my next cruise! http://www.packinglight.net/plight/text_1.asp?tx_id=90

by dubbling up bottoms, and camis.. I have a travel slinky knit swing coat( big front) that ties, drapes low or high, use a pretty buckle, use diff jewelry, wrap surplice style, over a print dress,slacks, 2 pc garment,a large wide colourful scarf, tack on lace, ruffles, cuffs, ..then snip the threads and use plain. Google Chicos etc. Wear on plane, or cooler weather, theres 4-5 days right there. Maybe cream coloured as well. HSN has them (Slinky)here n there. I love my carwash evening pants, in 3 colours too

Wow, I am glad there are other full sized women. I have gone on many vacations and cruises and have never been self conscious about my size until now. We are treating some family members to this cruise and several are very weight conscious and make derogatory comments. I plan on wearing a bathing suit because I will be in the Caribbean and want to go to the beach. I also plan on eating and drinking what I want. i am very healthy ,eat healthy etc. etc, but definitely weigh more that I “should” My husband could careless. He says there is more to love. However, I am finding myself very self conscious for the first time ever. I was thinking that when someone makes a comment , I can always say ”I thought that when people comment about what other people are wearing, eating weigh (or whatever hey end up saying) is rude??” Any suggestions?

Yeah the one bag I have has a take out "closet" in it. Right now it is packed with 17 shirts on hangers. The rest of the suitcase has 4 pairs of shoes in it and that's it. I still havent packed my undergarments and sleepwear.

I'm a size 18/20-22/24 and 50 pounds of clothing for me is not that much.:(

Though probably in reality all I need it my anti-chaffing gel(so my thighs dont get rub rash) and 3 bathing suits.

Has anyone tried gloves in a bottle? I wanted something to go on before I went into the pools/hot tubs as I am sensitive to the pool chemicals. It says that it doesnt wash off, that it just comes off with normal skin cell regeneration.

Wow, I am glad there are other full sized women. I have gone on many vacations and cruises and have never been self conscious about my size until now. We are treating some family members to this cruise and several are very weight conscious and make derogatory comments. I plan on wearing a bathing suit because I will be in the Caribbean and want to go to the beach. I also plan on eating and drinking what I want. i am very healthy ,eat healthy etc. etc, but definitely weigh more that I “should” My husband could careless. He says there is more to love. However, I am finding myself very self conscious for the first time ever. I was thinking that when someone makes a comment , I can always say ”I thought that when people comment about what other people are wearing, eating weigh (or whatever hey end up saying) is rude??” Any suggestions?

I had my first child 2 years ago, and this is our first cruise since then. I am EXTREMELY self conscious this trip b/c I used to have a flat upper stomach and now it pokes out. I bought lipo in a box and its great!

It's a shame that you can't even take a total vacation(free of insults/comments).

Me personally, if i had someone make comments to me, I would tell them that I dont appreciate nor warrant them. That I am comfortable just the way that I am, and that they should just worry about themselves.

Then if they still wanna keep pushin it, give them the finger! LOL j/k:cool:

by dubbling up bottoms, and camis.. I have a travel slinky knit swing coat( big front) that ties, drapes low or high, use a pretty buckle, use diff jewelry, wrap surplice style, over a print dress,slacks, 2 pc garment,a large wide colourful scarf, tack on lace, ruffles, cuffs, ..then snip the threads and use plain. Google Chicos etc. Wear on plane, or cooler weather, theres 4-5 days right there. Maybe cream coloured as well. HSN has them (Slinky)here n there. I love my carwash evening pants, in 3 colours too

I have a slinky brand outfit and love it! Mine is a short sleeved top with palazzo crops with a print. I love prints and this year Slinky didnt have too many prints.

mine is eggplant colour..vest/shell, crops...lots of tops to go over..then a lavender long pant w/ss top..also good w/jackets..it has a heavy one to go with. Have some animal prints, and plain basic blk brn, beige and one gray evening..top has eyelash sparkles in silver woven in the fabric..have several pics at Capt table in it..also wear pants w/other tops. I love the "Hang" of the pants on me.

Hmm - sounds like some 'rude' friends & relations! Maybe 'didn't your momma teach you if you have nothing ncie to say.....' hint hint hint....I can't believe someone would comment on your size/eating habits etc.... Of course you could always be nasty back? (but my feeling has always been 2 wrongs don't make a right').

Go and have a good time - forget about those ignorant enuf to comment and enjoy yourself!

This won't help you pack but it will help after you unpack.

1 tsp fabric softener and 1 cup water in a spray bottle. It is like the Downey wrinkle release but less expensive. I bring an empty spray bottle and put the fabric softener in a small disposable container. Mix and spray. It really works. I haven't ironed in a long time.

3 of the 4 of our group is obese. It didn't stop anyone from having fun.

I was on the Crown Princess in Oct. and let me tell you on that cruise I would place a bet that we fluffy ladies of the plus variety were 2 to 1 the skinnier versions. As I once told a Dr. "do you think you are the first to ever notice that there is more of me to love?" or the other "I only use skinny mirrors in my house". Work on your own head/self-concept. Liking yourself in spite of your problems, extra pounds, and few flaws makes life a much happier situation to be in. I cruise, I eat what I want and try to be sane about it, I try not to judge others skinny or plus and I have a darn good time. Hope you do too. You will not feel fat on the cruise is my bet!

Just moon the skinnies!!! That will hush them up. Have a good time, you'll see many people that look just like you...happy.

What I have found for rude comments is this: when some one starts with I don't mean to be disrespectful... say and yet you are.

When some one says I dont mean to offend you, but... say and yet you will.

You should cut them off at the very point they say those two prefaces, those always follow with a thinly veiled insult.

If that doesn't work, ask them to repeat what they said, sometimes saying it again helps them to realize it wasn't polite in the first place.

If those ideas dont work just keep asking them to elaborate on why they feel they need to tell you what ever they are telling you and keep up the gentle questions on why they feel they need to inform you of their views on your body size, food intake, or clothing.

For your packing question, I match every piece of clothing to all others. If I cant wear it more than once and with more than one item it doesn't go. And for the formal night I take one long tafeta black skirt and pair it with differnt tops. Tops that also go with other bottom pieces. Mostly silky type tanks and short sleeved sweaters over the tanks. I also have my bathing suit tops that can double as tank tops with a shirt or sweater over them I take one bottom bathing suit piece and two or three tankinie tops with it.

I live in Michigan and it is very cold when I go on vacation, but I wear my most heavy outfit, capri pants and a sweater set. I also bring a thin shawl to use as a blanket/ coat on the plane. And yes I look so much a dork with my workout sandals and ankle socks, but I cant bring heavy shoes...no room!

This is a unique topic that I haven't seen yet, but it's an important topic. I am also plus-sized and thought I would be very intimidated on my first cruise back in April of this year. However, I found people of all shapes and sizes on the cruise and the cruise atmosphere was just "go with your own flow," so I really enjoyed it even more than I thought I would.

My favorite "cruise clothes" are maxi dresses. They are so easy to fold up, usually pretty thin, and easy to wear with a pair of sandals. Right now WomanWithin, OneStopPlus, and Roamans have several maxi dresses discounted. I just bought about five of them reduced from $70 to $15 and even though I won't wear them this winter in NC, I'll be sure to use them when I go cruising in February!

Let's keep this thread going and hope for lots more interesting ideas!

Yeah the one bag I have has a take out "closet" in it. Right now it is packed with 17 shirts on hangers. The rest of the suitcase has 4 pairs of shoes in it and that's it. I still havent packed my undergarments and sleepwear.

I'm a size 18/20-22/24 and 50 pounds of clothing for me is not that much.:(

Though probably in reality all I need it my anti-chaffing gel(so my thighs dont get rub rash) and 3 bathing suits.

Has anyone tried gloves in a bottle? I wanted something to go on before I went into the pools/hot tubs as I am sensitive to the pool chemicals. It says that it doesnt wash off, that it just comes off with normal skin cell regeneration.

Stupid question. What is anti-chaffing gel...does it really work...where do I but it? Thanks...Diane:p

Boy do I know how you feel. I recently went away with my sister for a weekend and she in a size 3. And on top of it she is a personal trainer. I always get self conscious around her. I haven't always been plus size. Only after having children. I recently was pregnant again and lost the baby but never lost the weight I gained. My husband is the same way as yours. He loves me thin or heavy. He actually thinks my sister is too thin. But I always put myself down after being with her.

We are going on a cruise in November and a friend and her husband are coming along. Well, she recently lost 70 lbs thru Weight Watchers. I'm so happy for her but that is all she talks about now. How many points she has left for the day and how many points she has this week. I know she is happy about losing the weight and I am happy for her but I don't want to hear it all 9 days of our cruise. I want to have fun and not worry about calories on vacation. I am getting over the loss of my baby and just want to have fun.

Andi

Hi , I have been on quite a few cruises. Let me tell you there are lots of fluffy ladies on the cruise ship, and it is your vacation , so you go enjoy yourself. If you are self consious about a swim suit , then get a nice coverup to ware when you are out of the water that does help me feel better.

In our society these days people tend to compare them selves and others to the tiny thin models in magazines, and that is not the real world.

Cori

What I have found for rude comments is this: when some one starts with I don't mean to be disrespectful... say and yet you are.

When some one says I dont mean to offend you, but... say and yet you will.

You should cut them off at the very point they say those two prefaces, those always follow with a thinly veiled insult.

If that doesn't work, ask them to repeat what they said, sometimes saying it again helps them to realize it wasn't polite in the first place.

If those ideas dont work just keep asking them to elaborate on why they feel they need to tell you what ever they are telling you and keep up the gentle questions on why they feel they need to inform you of their views on your body size, food intake, or clothing.

On one cruise I actually had a woman turn and look at me and honest to God said "she must have been made when meat was cheap". For a fluffy woman I don't think I am all that bad, 20-22 in pants, but I do wear 3x tops because I like a lot of roominess. I said nothing to her because, well frankly, it broke my heart believe it or not I let a total stranger ruin my day. Actually I think it ruined the rest of my cruise, I just couldn't get it out of my head.

If you are treating these people to a cruise, and they have the chutzpah to chide you about your weight & what you should or should not eat, then they certainly do not deserve a cruise.

Take me---- we can eat whatever we want & enjoy it & not worry about our "fluffy" figures

!

Boy do I know how you feel. I recently went away with my sister for a weekend and she in a size 3. And on top of it she is a personal trainer. I always get self conscious around her. I haven't always been plus size. Only after having children. I recently was pregnant again and lost the baby but never lost the weight I gained. My husband is the same way as yours. He loves me thin or heavy. He actually thinks my sister is too thin. But I always put myself down after being with her.

We are going on a cruise in November and a friend and her husband are coming along. Well, she recently lost 70 lbs thru Weight Watchers. I'm so happy for her but that is all she talks about now. How many points she has left for the day and how many points she has this week. I know she is happy about losing the weight and I am happy for her but I don't want to hear it all 9 days of our cruise. I want to have fun and not worry about calories on vacation. I am getting over the loss of my baby and just want to have fun.

Andi

So sorry for your loss and you definitely want to enjoy your holiday without being constantly reminded about 'points' and counting calories if that is not what interests you. Is this a close friend? If so maybe you can have a 'chat' and just mention that while on vacation you like to 'enjoy' yourself and hope that discusions on foods/calories/fat/points can be 'on hold' during the cruise? Do you think that might work?

Andi

I'm so sorry for your loss :hug:

I can relate to comparing yourself to your sister. I've always been the fat sister. My sisters are 5'7" and 5'8" and a size 6. No matter what size I am (I've been a 24 and I've been a 10), I find I am comparing myself to them. But you know, they don't even think twice about what size I am. It is what it is, and I had to accept that.

So sorry for your loss and you definitely want to enjoy your holiday without being constantly reminded about 'points' and counting calories if that is not what interests you. Is this a close friend? If so maybe you can have a 'chat' and just mention that while on vacation you like to 'enjoy' yourself and hope that discusions on foods/calories/fat/points can be 'on hold' during the cruise? Do you think that might work?

I think this is good advice.

Also, is she planning to stay on plan while on her cruise? I am a WW'er and have lost quite a bit of weight and am near goal. But when we cruise in April, I am eating and drinking what I want. It's vacation.....maybe she is planning the same thing.

But talking with her about vacation expectations is a good thing. I do that with my husband every time we go away.

Archived