Cruising Plus-Sized

DandyCandy

Has anyone tried gloves in a bottle? I wanted something to go on before I went into the pools/hot tubs as I am sensitive to the pool chemicals. It says that it doesnt wash off, that it just comes off with normal skin cell regeneration.

I used gloves in a bottle a couple winters ago. My hands crack badly in the winter from hand washing and dry air. It worked really well. Although I did reapply it more frequently than they recommended. This reminds me I need to get some more.

So sorry for your loss and you definitely want to enjoy your holiday without being constantly reminded about 'points' and counting calories if that is not what interests you. Is this a close friend? If so maybe you can have a 'chat' and just mention that while on vacation you like to 'enjoy' yourself and hope that discusions on foods/calories/fat/points can be 'on hold' during the cruise? Do you think that might work?

Yes. I think I will have a chat with her. I think she will listen since she was a fluffy gal until recently. If not my husband will have words with her because he is tired of hearing it too. I believe it is good to be proud of all your hard work when losing weight but never obsess or rub it in someone elses face.

Andi

DH and I just went on our first cruise. We are both rather "fluffy" and DH is especially sensitive to the comments of others. Needless to say, we were terribly concerned. I do have to say, however, that we enjoyed ourselves tremendously and never overheard a comment! We wore our swimsuits, hung out on the Serenity deck, watched bands in the clubs in the evenings, and enjoyed our excursions! It was such a positive experience that DH says that he can't imagine any other way to vacation now.

Go and have a blast!! If someone says something, does their opinion really matter to you, does it really effect who you are on the inside? I can ask, because I have struggled with this myself. I know how hard it is to let words roll off, but it's YOUR vacation, don't give someone else the power to ruin it for you :p

On one cruise I actually had a woman turn and look at me and honest to God said "she must have been made when meat was cheap". For a fluffy woman I don't think I am all that bad, 20-22 in pants, but I do wear 3x tops because I like a lot of roominess. I said nothing to her because, well frankly, it broke my heart believe it or not I let a total stranger ruin my day. Actually I think it ruined the rest of my cruise, I just couldn't get it out of my head.

I'm sorry that ignorant stupid person ruined your cruise!

I would have had to reply with something like "Ok maybe I'm fat, but you're ugly.... At least I can lose weight!"

Usually people that make remarks about other people are very insecure and unhappy with themselves.

i am so glad i read this topic, im short 4'9 so i prolly weigh less than most but look twice as fluffy, the first thing i read on a forum was a tip for new cruisers and it said ... dont be self conscious, there will be all shapes and figures on the cruise and no one pays much attention.

i figure if they dont pay my bills then they need to mind their own business and be nice people need to practice that more often.

as for the chafing cream , we take that with us everywhere we know we are going to walk even my son uses it sometimes , we use monistat soothing cream, and it works wonders.

i just was shopping online today for our cruise too, gotta love onestop :)

thank you all for taking the time to help me feel better and for being real

Sadiecat sorry about that person. I know how you feel. Like maybe people think what I don't know I am overweight? Or that they might feel better about how they look if they make sure I and all the people who heard them know I am heavy?

Really next time anything like that happens smile and sweetly ask them to repeat what they said. Or smile and say excuse me were you asking that to me? or about me? Because I'm not sure I heard you. The sweeter and nicer you sound the more off balance you make them.

Most of the time they wont repeat it they just mumble sorry or something.

To an incredibly rude person --try smiling sweetly and saying "Well, bless your heart." Some wise Southern US person posted this phrase on CC.

It might help to raise your chin and pretend you are addressing an insect.

I bought a great dress at a Laura Outlet store. It has wide straps and the body flows down to the knees like upside down tulips. (It has overlapping

tiers) It is a purple, black and white print. And it is size 22.

The way I fugure it, I don't know anyone else (except for DH) on the cruise and probably won't see them again. I'll wear what I choose.

Other formal night outfits are fancy tops with a black skirt or pants.

I just wish I could wear pretty shoes - not just the flat Mary Jane styles with my orthotics.

If I am not comfortable in my bathing suit, I wear an oversize T shirt over it.

There are lots of plus sized cruisers. Have fun.

To an incredibly rude person --try smiling sweetly and saying "Well, bless your heart." Some wise Southern US person posted this phrase on CC.

It might help to raise your chin and pretend you are addressing an insect.

I bought a great dress at a Laura Outlet store. It has wide straps and the body flows down to the knees like upside down tulips. (It has overlapping

tiers) It is a purple, black and white print. And it is size 22.

The way I fugure it, I don't know anyone else (except for DH) on the cruise and probably won't see them again. I'll wear what I choose.

Other formal night outfits are fancy tops with a black skirt or pants.

I just wish I could wear pretty shoes - not just the flat Mary Jane styles with my orthotics.

If I am not comfortable in my bathing suit, I wear an oversize T shirt over it.

There are lots of plus sized cruisers. Have fun.

Those Mary Janes are so bad! I call them my Minnie Mouse shoes:p

I like better my double strap black and black velvet skeetchers. I took a Sharpie and blacked out the name then removed the inside and put my orthodic into it. the strap is nice and tight so that is comfortable and it looks loads better than MJ.

The second pair was new for the weddings this summer. SAS has a pair of sandles called "Strappy" that I bought in Pewter. (Also have a bronze, a white, a black, a gold available I think). These come in SAS sizeing and they are very cusioned and soft. I wore them cruiseing, to NYC to see nephew/niece on Broadway, to 2 weddings, and to California land trip. Walked all over, danced at wedding receptions and took on the Crown Princess for 10 days and even wore them to the mall last week. Pretty good testing period and my feet are still pretty friendly.(orthodics will not fit but these are arch supported enough it seems) At over $100 a pair, this was a major purchase for me but I like them so much I am going back to buy at least the black ones.

(My bad feet story: So bad that 3 years ago I wore a walking cast for 6 weeks to "cure" planter facitis and had surgery at age 2 for ankle birth defect that involved high shoes and braces -- leaving me a person who dreams of beautiful shoes but generally can't wear them)

Stupid question. What is anti-chaffing gel...does it really work...where do I but it? Thanks...Diane:p

It's a gel-to-powder that helps relive the pain of where ever your skin rubs. Like for me, it's my thighs. here is a link for it: http://www.monistat.com/soothing-care-powder-gel

you can buy it anywhere

On one cruise I actually had a woman turn and look at me and honest to God said "she must have been made when meat was cheap". For a fluffy woman I don't think I am all that bad, 20-22 in pants, but I do wear 3x tops because I like a lot of roominess. I said nothing to her because, well frankly, it broke my heart believe it or not I let a total stranger ruin my day. Actually I think it ruined the rest of my cruise, I just couldn't get it out of my head.

sorry that hurt your feelings. I know i would have come back with OMG i think you were made the day they ran out of manners :)

It's a gel-to-powder that helps relive the pain of where ever your skin rubs. Like for me, it's my thighs. here is a link for it: http://www.monistat.com/soothing-care-powder-gel

you can buy it anywhere

I use the old fashion Ammen's powder. Ordered it online. My husband & I are both plus size people. I wear a 3XL & proud of it!! I luv to swim & like someone said I got a couple of nice coverups to wear into the cafe. I am not the least bit embarresd by what i look like. I pride myself on buying clothes that flatter my big figure!! We go & have a wonderful time, life is too short to worry bout alittle bit off fluff.

re: cruel weight comments...

it is very normal for lots of us to make weight comments. the skinny girls. the med sized girls. the bigger girls. I do find it offensive when the size 2 girl says "im getting so fat, ill kill myself if i get any bigger" and i want to say "yeah and what about me? im twice your size" but i dont.....

as women we make these judgements based on personal preference... I've said I'd kill not to have this wavy ugly thick hair and my best friend spends hours trying to get her hair to have volume... white or tan complexion comments also...

So I let comments on my friends own opinion of themselves slide... but if they ever remarked or made a cruel joke at ANOTHER person or me I would def be mad and show it. And if they continually make these remarks all day def let them know it makes you feel uncomfortable...

As for ppl you don't know making comments... I don't know where to begin. for every person its dif. I was told I was nasty and disgusting for feeding my baby.... some of us do best to let it slide. or just say you are rude and let it drop. or enlighten for a few sentances about their rudeness.

In my culture, what an American might consider "fat". like a size 22 woman, will be on the dance floor with a seriously skimpy outfit on, and have 4 men trying to dance up on her.... and stick thin gal. ppl will whisper "dunno whats wrong with her, needs to eat something I say" and the girl will say "i try i eat alot!"

but slowly changing... we get american tv........

bahamas....

i still remember the first time we local girls saw american girls "grindin" up on each other on the dance floor... 10 years ago I guess. and we were all like "they mussbe don like men aye" while its very sexy in america for women to caress each other on the dance floor to excite men... we'd never seen it, our boys were a bit confused...

but as I said... we have MTV so our world is changing now.

guy that worked in my dad company said one day "i wanna gal so big I gotta roll over her twice to get to the other side of the matress"

I bought lipo in a box and its great!

Ooh, what's that?

I know my slim sister eats more and worse than I do. I'll gain another 10 pounds or so during some period of duress, and then when I'm back to eating well, my body just won't give the extra pounds up.

But just think...if there is a famine, our more efficient metabolisms mean that we'll survive just fine and dandy! Yes, the fluffy WILL inherit the earth!

• 2 weeks later...

I've asked for help and thoughts before here and they really helped so I'll do it again.

Here is my blog and this one is asking you to vote on which bathing suit you would choose for me. I'll do another post of cruise fashion too once I get a hold on what I want to take and I make do a "Dress my Cruise" vote too. Let's start here first.

Thanks for the help:

http://fatgirlperspective.blogspot.com/2010/11/helping-hand-please.html

I haven't bought anything yet:rolleyes:, but the black suit is winning by a little more than half.

I'm trying to wait, to see if the price comes down anymore. I have two suits so I'm not in a real pinch, so I can afford to wait. But when and if I buy I will def. let you know which one.

I don't cruise until the end of Jan. So as long as I have about 2 weeks for shipping I should be good.

But I finally got my new Luggage.......$134 for a 4 piece American Flyer set and my last sundress order I got on clearance for $24 down from $50. So, I will hopefully have time this weekend to take pictures and blog on Cruise 2011! I have to figure out how to put up a poll so you can vote for multiple outfits.

It will probably be as close as I get to Barbie!

Archived