What about the "Hill?"

lcds1

We are going to Roatan in two weeks...trying to decide WHAT to do still!

Someone said something on a thread about having to walk up a big hill? Is this to get to

the tour guides? My DH has knee probs...and friend we are going with has heart.

What to do about this?

Thanks!

we where there in march. if you book with carnival they depart from the dock ,if you book from a private operator you have to walk up the hill to the gates.all tours return to the dock. hope this helps:D this is at carnivals dock dont know about the other dock where you will be

You only have to walk up that hill if you have booked a private tour guide. Carnival Corp who owns Mahogany Bay does not allow private tour guides in their compound to pick up cruise ship passengers for their tour. If you don't have a private tour booked - no worries.

The hill is a semi-steep paved hill ( I am over 50 and fluffy and I was fine). If you book a private tour, you must walk up the hill and back down the other side to your guide; however, two in my party were unable to walk the hill, so I went and found the guide and she got permission (after much discussion) to go pick up the persons in our group that was disabled at the pier. Everyone that is able should walk the hill if you book the private excursion.

The hill is not that bad, but I was worried about it, too, the way everybody was talking about it. So I sent an email to our tour guide (Victor Bodden) that my senior mom could not make the hill, and asked what to do. He said I could walk the hill, find our tour guide and hop in his van, and then he would be allowed to take the van down to get my mom right outside Mahogany Bay. That worked out fine, but really my mom could have made the hill as she is a walker and in good shape. Most people should be able to make it, but this is an option for others.

We were just there the other day and this was a major concern for us. My mom would not have been able to make it up that hill due to back problems, but we ended up renting a car for the day and touring the island ourselves. Like the others said, be prepared for one or a few of your party to get over the hill and then come back for the people who cant make it or the taxi's will take your party up to the gates for about $10.

Archived