AMA Vietnam

travrealtor

Freddie, my sil and her bf did Vietnam on their own. They really enjoyed their time on Halong Bay, it was arranged through their guide as kind of a "surprise" and the 2 of them were the only ones on the boat plus the captain (maybe more crew I'm not sure). I know they sure enjoyed the seafood dinner cooked by the captain. I could ask for more info if you are interested...you can email me at doreenryan2@hotmail.com if you are.

Susan

Jeff & dd - I posted some of these questions on another thread and then recognized that this general thread concerning AMA Vietnam is probably a better place to pose questions. We are boarding La Marguerite in Siem Reap on Nov. 28 of next year. Here are several questions that I haven't seen answered yet on these message boards:

1. Thanks for the useful info on the smart casual evening dress code. You posted, dd, that the laundry on the boat was "OK". Was it sufficiently "OK" that we can use it a lot and not appear to be total ragamuffins? We plan to pack lightly if we can depend upon the boat's laundry service.

2. The AMA website is somewhat confusing regarding included beverages, noting in one section that wine is provided at dinner, but stating in another section that, "Throughout your cruise, enjoy free local beer, soft drinks, house brand spirits, local bottled water and filtered coffee and tea with meals." Please give us your experience regarding beverages.

3. Is the crew primarily Vietnamese or Cambodian? It would be good to learn a few words of each language in order to at least be able to say, "Please", "Thank You", etc.

Thanks for any info you can provide. I'm sure that we'll have loads more questions as we prepare for this excellent adventure. We (along with two other couples) are going to spend 5 nights in Siem Reap before the river cruise in order to have more time amongst the Ankhorian temples. We'll be spending a couple of days in Hanoi, a couple on Halong Bay, several at the end of the cruise in Saigon, and several days in Hue/Danang either before or after the cruise. The timing of the various Vietnam stops will depend upon the schedule we can get for using FF miles to and from Vietnam. We may end up using Asiana for part of the routing. Has anyone had experience with Asiana?

Cheers, Fred

Fred,

The laundry on the boat was fine, but was a little expensive. I am used to doing laundry by the bag on Holland America for $12 to $20. Here it was priced by the piece ended up over $50.

All the beer and wine and spirits are free if you order the local brands - the imports cost extra. The local beer is good. The wine is OK, depending on the individual bottle. It's not great, but for the price is quite acceptable. The local whiskey is good. It was popular enough that they ran out of it before the end of the cruise. Soft drinks are free at meals, I don't know about other times as I never ordered any. Bottled water is provided no charge and there is a refrigerator in the cabin to keep it cool. All drinks and ice are made with bottled water and all fresh produce is washed in bottled water.

The crew is both Vietnamese and Combodian, with the majority Vietnamese. They use Cambodian tour guides in Cambodia and Vietnamese tour guides in Vietnam.

Jeff

Hi,

Would you mind elaborating on your extra day pre/post cruise with AMA. Do you mean an extra night in the applicable hotels and arranging tours on your own? I am considering going in a day early and perhaps staying an extra day but haven't really thought about the different options.

Thanks for your help,

Susan

Through our TA we booked an extra night in Hanoi and in Saigon. The TA did it through AMA and we got the AMA rate supposedly. Sowe arrive in Hanoi a day early and leave a day later. Since our flight from Saigon doesn't leave until almost midnight, we actually have almost 2 full extra days in Saigon. We have arranged for a full day tour with HanoiKids for the extra day in Hanoi. We found out about them on the boards and Trip Advisor. They are university students trained by the organization to Give tours in exchange for the opportunity to speak English. They come very highly recommended. I also just contacted a private guide for 1 of our extra days in Saigon and am waiting to hear from him. We decided to spend the extra days since we couldn't spend the extra time with the pre-trip extension offered by AMA so this is the next best thing considering how far we are traveling (from Florida).

Fred,

The laundry on the boat was fine, but was a little expensive. I am used to doing laundry by the bag on Holland America for $12 to $20. Here it was priced by the piece ended up over $50.

All the beer and wine and spirits are free if you order the local brands - the imports cost extra. The local beer is good. The wine is OK, depending on the individual bottle. It's not great, but for the price is quite acceptable. The local whiskey is good. It was popular enough that they ran out of it before the end of the cruise. Soft drinks are free at meals, I don't know about other times as I never ordered any. Bottled water is provided no charge and there is a refrigerator in the cabin to keep it cool. All drinks and ice are made with bottled water and all fresh produce is washed in bottled water.

Hi Jeff:

Thanks for all of your helpful information. If you can answer a few questions for me please:

1. Did you need converters/ adapters in your cabin? We have several electrical appliances to charge.

2. How many electrical outlets are in the cabin?

3. Did you use the ship's Wi-Fi? Was it reliable or was it really slow? I understand from my TA that it is free but can only be used in the reception area.

4. How much tipping is there, for whom and how much? I remember reading that some of the tips are included but also read that there are tips for guides, drivers, ship crew, etc.

Thank you for your help. We leave on 2/10.

Hi all,

I was researching the web for our upcoming AMA Russia Cruise in September and came across a very nice 8 minute video on youtube.com. Just go to the website and put in "Mekong River Cruises by AMAwaterways" in the search mode. It is very nicely done.

Sheila

Fred,

Hi Jeff:

Thanks for all of your helpful information. If you can answer a few questions for me please:

1. Did you need converters/ adapters in your cabin? We have several electrical appliances to charge.

2. How many electrical outlets are in the cabin?

3. Did you use the ship's Wi-Fi? Was it reliable or was it really slow? I understand from my TA that it is free but can only be used in the reception area.

4. How much tipping is there, for whom and how much? I remember reading that some of the tips are included but also read that there are tips for guides, drivers, ship crew, etc.

Thank you for your help. We leave on 2/10.

Most of the outlets will accept US style plugs, but it wouldn't hurt to bring an adapter. The voltage is 220. Check the items you want to plug in. Most of the "wall wart" type plugins are dual voltage these days. I checked the items I was bringing ahead of time and found they were all dual voltage, so I left my converter at home (saved weight) and only brought the adapters. There were at least 3 outlets in the room.

The WiFi is a little slow since the land link is through cell towers. There are also times when the ship is out of range of the cell towers. I didn't bring my laptop due to baggage and weight constrants, but I have a WiFi link on my cell which I used several times in the main lounge area to check email. They also have several computers available in the library in the bow for passenger use. Both the computers and WiFi are free.

AMA recommends a $10 per person per day tip for the crew. This can be done by credit card on the last night. They also recommend a tip of $5/day for the tour manager. We paid this to him in cash. They suggest a $4/day tip for local tour guides. We also used cash for this. We also tipped the bus drivers and sampan drivers $2. We brought with us $50 in ones and $200 in fives for small tips and purchases, and enough 20's to cover larger expenses. US dollars were accepted everywhere we went, but in Vietnam they give change in Dong (about 20,000 Dong/Dollar). In Cambodia the ATM's will give you US dollars, but not in Vietnam.

On another note, make sure you have extra rechargeable batteries and plenty of memory chips for your cameras. Several in our group had problems in this area. You will be taking LOTS of pictures!

I hope this helps. I'm sure you will have a wonderful trip.

2F - As you are going on the boat quite soon, will you be so kind as to post something about the cruise when you return. There is so very little info re: La Marguerite available that we all are quite eager to learn anything we can from those few people who have experienced this adventure, to which we look forward so eagerly.

Could you possibly take a photo of the electrical plugs so that we can know what sort of adaptors to bring?

Jeff - You continue to be our "source of all wisdom". Thank you for all of your kind responses. Did you ever use your cell phone to make calls back to the U.S.? We try to call our housesitter every day to check on our two sweet pooches. I will probably get a local SIM card for my iPhone (if the Apple gods will allow one to switch out their SIM cards) to allow calls from Cambodia and Vietnam.

In a review of La Marguerite posted on CC, someone commented that although there was internet available at the Business Centre, a couple of people pretty much hogged it. Was that your experience? Would it be acceptable to simply chuck such internet-hogs overboard and let them float on down to Saigon??

Were the tip recommendations given to you onboard or should we take them with us?

As always, many thanks for your kind response.

Cheers, Fred

Hi Fred:

I will be most happy to post upon our return. I also could not find much information on the boards unlike European river cruises. We are traveling with our CC friends who I am certain will also provide a lot more information. I expect that because the Internet is free more people use it and hog it. We are bringing a laptop & my IPad to avoid that problem.

I am looking into an international plan for the iPad & my iPhone.

When we were on our river boat cruise in July with Tauck, they had a sign-in sheet. You signed up for 15 minute periods and EVERYONE was very cooperative! Hopefully, AMA does the same thing. Since we are taking AMA next September, that will be a question I will also have.

Sheila

Fred,

I didn't try making a call with my cell as I didn't want any roaming charges. We use AT&T, which is compatable with the protocals used in most countries and have our cells available for emergancies. I was able to get the unlock codes for my phone last year after calling AT&T and telling them I was going to be in Australia for a month and wanted to get a local sim. The I-phone is a different beast and they may be reluctant to unlock it.

The tip info was in an AMA booklet provided by our travel agent. I think the same booklet is available online.

I didn't use the onboard computers myself, but my wife did and didn't mention any problems with computer hogs.

Jeff

• 4 weeks later...

Questions for those who just returned from Le Marguerite.

We leave Feb 19 to do the Central Vietnam extension and then the 14 day cruise tour. I noticed that someone said that the crew tip of $10/pp/day tip was put on your credit card at the end of the cruise. Was it possible to pay cash for those tips if you wanted to avoid the credit card foreign exchange fees that the cruise booklet says will be imposed for credit card transactions on the ship?

Also, I am always cold in air conditioning. Was it ever cool on the ship or in the hotels at night where a woman might need sweater or light jacket?

And did you take malaria drugs, need OFF or any other bug repellent at night?

Thanks for your answers. We are getting very excited.

You have to ask the ship to put the tips on your credit card. The default is for you to pay them with cash. In any event, you need cash (we used US$) to tip the various tour guides & drivers.

The airconditioning in the room is under your control. In the dinning room and lounge the temperature was always comfortable or maybe a little warm, although you might find it chilly if you sit right under the air conditioning vents.

We did not take any malaria drugs and had no problem with bugs, although we did bring bug repellent. We were there in October/November and the bug situation may change according to the time of year. You might want to check with a travel doctor about the malaria drugs.

Have a great trip!

Jeff

Jeff, thanks for your quick reply. We are doing the Central Vietnam extension and then the 14 day cruisetour. We are trying to figure out if the buses will be able to handle a rolling carry on if it meets the dimensions requirements. In other words, on the section of the trip where busing from place to place is required was there enough room to store a wheeled carry on in the luggage compartment or inside the bus? Or were you using a bus without such a thing? Also flying with in the country was that an issue? Some people have back issues and carrying a carry on for 3 weeks is a problem, but we've been on other trips where a wheeled bag doesn't fit and one would have to carry it on their lap the whole time, or even that might be impossible if we are talking vans not buses. Your experience or what you observed would be very helpful.

We didn't do Central Vietnam, but did do a precruise tour of Hanoi, Ha Long Bay, and Cambodia. We used regular roll on type luggage of the size allowed as carry ons on US domestic flights. I also had a day pack for cameras and electronics. We limited the suitcases to 40lbs because of the weight limits on the flight from Hanoi to Siem Reap. The limits on that flight were 40lbs checked (20 Kilos) and, if I recall correctly, 7 kilos carry on. We took buses from Hanoi to Ha Long Bay and back, from Siem Reap to the boat, and from our last port to Siagon. They were all large tour buses with plenty of room for baggage in the baggage compartment. They were also, thankfully, airconditioned.

Jeff

Thanks for your quick replies, Jeff. Our instructions say that the bag must be no larger than 17"x 14" x 8". One place in pre-cruise info it said that the bag could weigh only 10 lbs and yet our contact at AMA said 7 kg. So we are trying to sort it out. If anyone else has info especially on the Central Vietnam extension we would be happy to hear it. At least we know that on the 14 day program we could do a regular 21" rolling bag if not too heavy.

Sue

We will be doing this land/cruise tour next December and I appreciate all the information shared by those who have already completed the trip.

The luggage limits for Vietnam Airlines flights within Asia are here: checked baggage and hand baggage. My assumption is that those are the true limitations for the Hanoi-Siem Reap flight.

For those who have taken the flight: were your carry-on bags weighed by the airline at check-in?

Shorex:

Appreciate the link. however the cruise booklet AMA sent says on page 4

"Your carry-on should not exceed 17" x 14" x 8", and weigh not exceeding 10lbs (4.5kg). ' That is why we are VERY confused. We do not want to take something that the bus or airline will not handle.

That is why we really need to hear from people like Jeff who can testify to what their experience was.

Thanks everyone and appreciate hearing from others.

Sue

Sue,

I checked on page 4 of our AMA book. Your checked bag should have dimensions not exceeding a total of 62 in and a weight not to exceed 40lbs. That is larger than a 25in roll-on bag. Your carry-on is limited to 17x14x8 and 10lbs. We used 22in roll-ons for our checked bags. I used a small day pack and my wife used a small overnight type bag as our carry-ons which met the carry-on requirements. They didn't weigh the carry-ons.

The bottem line is: check your main bag and put cameras/valuables in a small carry-on.

Jeff

Sue,

Just an add-on to an earlier post about bugs. In addition to taking repellant (35% DEET), we sprayed our safari type pants, shirts, socks and hats with a permethrin containing spray before we left. This lasts for several weeks and a number of washings (follow the directions on the bottle). We had used it before on trips to the Amazon where the bugs are really bad. It is very effective at discouraging insects, so perhaps that is why we didn't have any problems with them, although I don't recall anyone else complaining and I don't think I ever needed the DEET.

Jeff

Jeff,

THANKS so much for the clarification on the bags. We were talking apples and oranges. We were all taking bags with wheels for checked bags but were concerned with the size of the carry-ons. You last post told me what we needed to hear. You had the same requirements we do and you used a day pack for carry-on, not a small rolling bag. Now I have a much clearer picture.

Thanks also for the hint about the spray for the bugs. Will check into that as it sounds worthwhile.

On another note, which company or boat did you use for the Amazon? We went years ago and want to go again, but are looking for a good company.

Your posts have been VERY helpful. THANKS!

Sue

Sue,

We did the Amazon twice. The first time was the upper Amazon in Peru. We used Jungle Expeditions out of Iquitos. The was a fantastic trip. The rooms were not fancy, but were comfortable and had AC and private baths. The boat held 28 passengers and carried two large aluminum run-abouts that held 14 passangers (plus guide and driver) each. The aluminum boats would take us up the tributaries and into the jungle. It is a trip I would highly recommend. Their web site is:

http://www.junglex.com/

The second time was on the HAL Prinsendam from Ft Lauderdale to Manaus and back. This was also a fun trip, but the lower Amazon was not as wild as the upper, the ship cruised at night and was in port in larger cities during the day, and, of course, there were a lot more passengers (750). In short, it was not nearly as exciting.

Jeff

Was it possible to pay cash for those tips if you wanted to avoid the credit card foreign exchange fees that the cruise booklet says will be imposed for credit card transactions on the ship?

If you do much traveling outside of the United States, I suggest that you get a Capital One credit card (honest, I'm not a "shill" for them). Capital One is the only card that does not charge a foreign service transaction fee. I've had their card for years, and I only use it when I travel abroad since "rewards" are better on other cards that I carry.