If You Like To Think Of The Star As A Good Ship...Do NOT Read This Review

SailorJack

We actually found the best shopping in Sorrento. The shops were all close together and the atmosphere was most conducive to empying out your wallet.:) There is greater variety in Rome, of course, but I guess it all depends on what you are shopping for.

We have had Limoncello here in the states, but I am sure the stuff in Sorrento was much stronger. Enjoy!:)

I have a couple more pictures from Amalfi that I will try to post later today and that will empy out by card.

I couldn't agree more. We stayed there for a week at the Hilton Sorrento and loved the shopping in Sorrento. We were in Rome the week prior and I don't think it even compared.

Also, we found ourselves driving the Amalfi Coast daily (easy, easy driving in that part of Italy....roads are VERY wide). Every anniversary, I'm trying to out do the previous year and I will never forget this anniversary dinner.

If you get a chance to take a drive to Ravello, check out this restaurant (2 * Michelin):

http://www.palazzosasso.com/en/dining/terrazza-belvedere.php

This year was "at sea" on the Emerald Princess....that's kind of hard to beat too--ha!

Enjoy!

We actually found the best shopping in Sorrento. The shops were all close together and the atmosphere was most conducive to empying out your wallet.:) There is greater variety in Rome, of course, but I guess it all depends on what you are shopping for.

We have had Limoncello here in the states, but I am sure the stuff in Sorrento was much stronger. Enjoy!:)

Totally agree with both! Sorrento is perfect for souvenir shopping (though serious shopping best done in Rome), and the Lemoncello in Italy, especially the Amalfi Coast, is not only stronger but much richer in taste and has a smoother texture. Most of the brands imported to the US are the lowest quality.

Look for Limonoro along the main shopping "street" in Sorrento. They have a vat in back, and have a really wonderful product. Great decorative bottles too.

I couldn't agree more. We stayed there for a week at the Hilton Sorrento and loved the shopping in Sorrento. We were in Rome the week prior and I don't think it even compared.

Also, we found ourselves driving the Amalfi Coast daily (easy, easy driving in that part of Italy....roads are VERY wide). Every anniversary, I'm trying to out do the previous year and I will never forget this anniversary dinner.

If you get a chance to take a drive to Ravello, check out this restaurant (2 * Michelin):

http://www.palazzosasso.com/en/dining/terrazza-belvedere.php

This year was "at sea" on the Emerald Princess....that's kind of hard to beat too--ha!

Enjoy!

What a gorgeous setting for a restauant! We will be in Italy next year and if we happen to make it to Ravello we will make it a point to visit the Palazzo Sasso!

Totally agree with both! Sorrento is perfect for souvenir shopping (though serious shopping best done in Rome), and the Lemoncello in Italy, especially the Amalfi Coast, is not only stronger but much richer in taste and has a smoother texture. Most of the brands imported to the US are the lowest quality.

Look for Limonoro along the main shopping "street" in Sorrento. They have a vat in back, and have a really wonderful product. Great decorative bottles too.

If you go back through my pictures - the previous page or two - I think you will find a picture of Limonoro. At least it had a vat in the back and the pictures are of the most imaginative liquor bottles ever. It was fun to look at all the bottles while sipping our complimentary Limoncello.:D

Your cruise sounded great! You never fail to provide loads of laughs and colorfull descriptions. I love the pictures but missed your description of Istanbul. Thanks to you and sailorjill for a great read.:D

Thanks. I try to keep my "reviews" to 12 type written pages and so I had to edit out one of the ports. I figure I will be going to Istanbul again so I left that one out. If our ship hadn't had to abort Kios because of rough seas I would have had to edit out two ports.:eek:

I am in the process of uploading the last of my pictures - of Amalfi - and that will empty my camera.:)

Here are the last of my pics:

This is Amalfi taken from the beach. We had a great lunch at the restaurant to the far left.

2371350980106582660S600x600Q85.jpg

Lemon groves all along the coast and here in Amalfi they grow right down the cliffs into town. I suspect they need them to supply the Limoncello industry!:D

2626404460106582660S600x600Q85.jpg

The main street of Amalfi running along the beach area.

2874053550106582660S600x600Q85.jpg

If you are going to have lunch in Amalfi you can't do much better than this restaurant. Get a table by the railing and you will almost be dining in the Mediterranean. The gentleman in the foreground was enjoying a nap in the warm afternoon sun...and I was sorely tempted to join him.:)

2216555190106582660S600x600Q85.jpg

I do not know what part of the Amalfi coast the poster drove on, but from Ravello down, it is high, narrow, twisty, and in one village there is a 90 degree turn at the bottom! We were happy to be on a tour bus with all the scooters and motorcycles whizzing around us.

Thanks. I try to keep my "reviews" to 12 type written pages and so I had to edit out one of the ports. I figure I will be going to Istanbul again so I left that one out.

I, for one, would like to see an Istanbul review of yours from your recent voyage.

I, for one, would like to see an Istanbul review of yours from your recent voyage.

I certainly appreciate your interest, but I need to put my comments regarding Istanbul in context - which means that I will have to save them till my next visit - which may be in May. If you have not been to Istanbul, and are looking for info on it... I can tell you that it is a fascinating city and well worth a visit.

Jack

More drooling pics of the Amalfi! I want to move there -- especially with the snowstorm raging outside my window right now! Thank you for sharing both yours and SailorJill's wonderful vacations with us. I, as a reader, felt as though I was right there sailing with you guys. I'll keep that in mind. This means I can save some shopping euro in Rome pre-cruise; and do some damage while in Sorrento. The lemon treese are just lovely. I hope they have not changed colour since your pics. The lemontree song is going round & round in my head. Thanks, SailorJack. You're the unofficial Princess cruise professor! ;)

More drooling pics of the Amalfi! I want to move there -- especially with the snowstorm raging outside my window right now! Thank you for sharing both yours and SailorJill's wonderful vacations with us. I, as a reader, felt as though I was right there sailing with you guys. I'll keep that in mind. This means I can save some shopping euro in Rome pre-cruise; and do some damage while in Sorrento. The lemon treese are just lovely. I hope they have not changed colour since your pics. The lemontree song is going round & round in my head. Thanks, SailorJack. You're the unofficial Princess cruise professor! ;)

LOL...I had totally forgotten that song.:D I will have to bring it up on UTube. Jill wants to move to Sorrento so if you go to Amalfi we will be neighbors.:) Thanks for your comments.

which ship?

We are actually looking at two cruises. One is the Ruby Princess which goes to Istanbul and the other is RCI's Splendour of the Seas - which does not - but does visit several ports which would be new to us. Probably no decision until some time in December.

LOL...I had totally forgotten that song.:D I will have to bring it up on UTube. Jill wants to move to Sorrento so if you go to Amalfi we will be neighbors.:) Thanks for your comments.

Thank YOU for taking the time to share with us all. I'll check out apt's prices while there. But at this rate we (DH and I) are saving, it might take us until 100 years old to save enough to afford a 200-sq ft apt. Unless we hit the jackpot :D Here's hoping to become your neighbour someda... salut!

Gamal sounds sooo picture worthy....I hope you were able to snap one to share?

For some reason for which we have been unable to determine, pictures of Gamal did not turn out. I suspect, however, that if Gamal ever looked into a mirror he would be unable to see his reflection.:D

• 1 month later...

Jack you are simply incredible.

Now I have to go read Star #2 and re-read everything else. It's a darn good thing we're still snowed in or my wife might expect me to get of my computer chair.

We sail in April so you have time for several more reviews before I put my next one up. Please get to work. Better yet, join us on a 7 day out of NYC on NCL Gem for our NCL test drive.

SailorJack,

I'm now sick from laughing, and I'm only halfway thru this second review.

"Serena Williams' SoftServe??" Puh-leeze!!

If you consider cruising Crystal, let us know ahead of time so we can prepare. Keep up the killer work. Thanks again for your efforts.:D

Sailor Jack (and Jill too), this title caught my eye since we are boarding the Star for a month on February 23rd. We too have sailed her previously, but prior to the International Cafe and the free soft serve.

Thank you for a most enjoyable read and quite a bit of laughing out loud. I tend to do a bit of writing, but mine is not comparable to yours.

Thanks again.

Jack you are simply incredible.

Now I have to go read Star #2 and re-read everything else. It's a darn good thing we're still snowed in or my wife might expect me to get of my computer chair.

We sail in April so you have time for several more reviews before I put my next one up. Please get to work. Better yet, join us on a 7 day out of NYC on NCL Gem for our NCL test drive.

Again, thanks for your very kind words. Our next trip is in January, but I will not be writing a review of that cruise...it is only 7 day "winter break" getaway. Our next big cruise will be in the Med next May.

For Caribbean trips we sail out of Fort Lauderdale and Miami - which are both just a short hop from Atlanta. However, if you are bringing along your model friend, I might just have to take a look at New York.:D:D

Jack

Sailor Jack (and Jill too), this title caught my eye since we are boarding the Star for a month on February 23rd. We too have sailed her previously, but prior to the International Cafe and the free soft serve.

Thank you for a most enjoyable read and quite a bit of laughing out loud. I tend to do a bit of writing, but mine is not comparable to yours.

Thanks again.

Thanks for your comments. I am a bit envious as you will be on one of my favorite ships in a couple of months! Will you be writing a review? If so, I will look forward to it.

PS I followed your Live from the Sapphire review and you are being too modest about your writing skills...they are excellent!

SailorJack,

I'm now sick from laughing, and I'm only halfway thru this second review.

"Serena Williams' SoftServe??" Puh-leeze!!

If you consider cruising Crystal, let us know ahead of time so we can prepare. Keep up the killer work. Thanks again for your efforts.:D

Glad you enjoyed the review. We have yet to sail on Crystal, so anything is possible as we are trying to sample all the major cruise lines.:)

Jack

Thanks for your comments. I am a bit envious as you will be on one of my favorite ships in a couple of months! Will you be writing a review? If so, I will look forward to it.

PS I followed your Live from the Sapphire review and you are being too modest about your writing skills...they are excellent!

Jack

I am blushing. Thank YOU! I don't write reviews per se', but you can count on another LIVE.

I am blushing. Thank YOU! I don't write reviews per se', but you can count on another LIVE.

I have toyed with the idea of doing a "live from" but have avoided it for two reasons:

1. I don't know if I have the discipline to sit down and write something everyday, and

2. As an individual of Scottish origin I don't know if I have the moral strength to pay for an internet package.:D

So I will live vicariously through individuals like yourself who bless us with a virtual cruise.

Smooth sailing,

Jack

Archived