If You Like To Think Of The Star As A Good Ship...Do NOT Read This Review

SailorJack

I was literally falling off my chair laughing while reading your review. The camel story was the best! DH and I are contemplating this very cruise for Octobrer 2011 as he has always wanted to see the pyramids and I would like to see Rome. Can you tell me if you booked Princess excursions or did you use a private company and if you did, which one did you use? Thanks. I look forward to reading more of your adventures!:)

I was literally falling off my chair laughing while reading your review. The camel story was the best! DH and I are contemplating this very cruise for Octobrer 2011 as he has always wanted to see the pyramids and I would like to see Rome. Can you tell me if you booked Princess excursions or did you use a private company and if you did, which one did you use? Thanks. I look forward to reading more of your adventures!:)

Glad you enjoyed it! The itinerary was one of the best we have been on and I know you will enjoy it. If you go on a camel ride just make sure you don't get assigned to Gamal.:D

Being of Scottish lineage I seldom use ship tours and try to use local opertors. In Alexandria I joined a cruise critic roll call group and they had signed up with Ramses Tours. They did a good job and I would not hesitate to use them again.

I have also used Nile Blue Tours and they were excellent. I would think that either tour operator would do you a good job. Check the "ports" board for Alexandria/Cairo and you can also get some good feedback from people who have used both operators.

In Rome we did not use a tour but did it on our own. For Naples we used Rome Tours and they did an outstanding job. I would absolutely use them again.

Let me know if you have any other questions..if not...enjoy your cruise!

Jack

• 4 months later...
... he was actually paying attention and laughing considering he is watching a hockey game with the Canucks and the Leafs playing.

Did Bernie record a game earlier in the season and just watch it now? :p

:D:DWooooza! This review is better than watching a Rick Steves European Travel video! Thanks for sharing all this great info/stories of your travels and photos. Saving for future reference when we get to go on a Med. Cruise!

Great review S.J. Unfortunately I read it at 3:30am and wok of the Mrs. Your prose is fantastic and your insights worthy of collection into a book!

Time for another cruise, SJ. Given the economy and conflict in the world, a SJ review can't be beat!

Jack, did I miss your last review? I thought it was on RCI, but nothing new there and there is no link in your signature.

In his Crown thread he stated he lost the folder with his notes so probably won't be doing a review of his RCCL cruise.

Great review S.J. Unfortunately I read it at 3:30am and wok of the Mrs. Your prose is fantastic and your insights worthy of collection into a book!

Time for another cruise, SJ. Given the economy and conflict in the world, a SJ review can't be beat!

Thanks for your kind words. Next cruise for us is in November..I hope you have one coming up soon as well!

:D:DWooooza! This review is better than watching a Rick Steves European Travel video! Thanks for sharing all this great info/stories of your travels and photos. Saving for future reference when we get to go on a Med. Cruise!

Thanks. We use Rick Steves as well.:) Hope your Med cruise is as enjoyable as was ours!

Jack, did I miss your last review? I thought it was on RCI, but nothing new there and there is no link in your signature.

Didn't miss it - I just posted it today..see below.

In his Crown thread he stated he lost the folder with his notes so probably won't be doing a review of his RCCL cruise.

Good to hear from you. I have good news and bad news. The good news is we found our notes - they were in the back seat of the car that picked us up at the airport. The bad news is that the review is just as long as the others.:D

I posted the review this morning and a link to it is in my signature.

Thanks for your kind words. Next cruise for us is in November..I hope you have one coming up soon as well!

Thanks. We use Rick Steves as well.:) Hope your Med cruise is as enjoyable as was ours!

Didn't miss it - I just posted it today..see below.

Good to hear from you. I have good news and bad news. The good news is we found our notes - they were in the back seat of the car that picked us up at the airport. The bad news is that the review is just as long as the others.:D

I posted the review this morning and a link to it is in my signature.

I found it this evening. Somebody had already warned me not to read it at work.:p

BRAVISIMO, Brings back all of the accrued memories of the visits to these places.The Pyramid of Cheops can put the frighteners on you, even if you are no claustrophobic.

You are so right! I am in no way claustrophobic, but going down that tunnel was quite intimidating at first. It was with no great relief when it opened up into the large burial room.

what a fantastic read. Write a book !!!!

Glad you enjoyed it. No book forthcoming, but probably another review or two.:)

This HAS to be a good day! I started it by reading, laughing, and laughing- only thing is, now I've got a "stitch" in my side.

Thanks for a terrific review and for making my day!

Loved this! Having walked like an Egyptian inside the great pyramid myself, I can attest to the truth of that description! I was luckier with the camel ride though. I didn't get Gamel! Thanks for the fun review.

Loved this! Having walked like an Egyptian inside the great pyramid myself, I can attest to the truth of that description! I was luckier with the camel ride though. I didn't get Gamel! Thanks for the fun review.

Well, not wishing to spoil your day, Gamal may well be waiting for you on your next visit!:D

• 4 months later...
Glad you enjoyed it. Not a teacher or a writer...just a bloke who likes to cruise and write about it.

Wow....my first SailorJack review. I thought you would be a writer by trade. Excellent and entertaining work!

Wow....my first SailorJack review. I thought you would be a writer by trade. Excellent and entertaining work!

Not a writer by trade, but I do enjoy writing about our travels.:) Next up for us is the Diamond Princess next month - Singapore to Sydney.

P.S. I take it you had some issues with Carnival?:D

Thanks for your review! DW and I did this cruise in 2009 on the Grand and had the absolutely best cruise ever! Love everything about it, except for the camel riding thing. :D

It is a great itinerary! However, I also will never again get atop a camel.

Add another to the growing list of admirers for such wonderful reviews. This was my first reading of a SailorJack review, and not likely to be my last.

However, that all said, I've learned two things.

Don't ride a camel. Ever.

Don't eat at Sabatini's. Unless you pack expandable clothing.

:D

Thanks for a marvelous review! Off to read more of 'em!

Thanks for the great review. I was a little leary of reading this due to the title as I fly out today for Rome and then to begin our cruise on the Star on Fri 21st Oct. Same itinerary as you. We will watch out for Gamal and keep our fingers crossed that we don't get him. I will have to check out your other reviews but alas no time at the present. Just have to get through a day of work and then it is off for two and a half weeks.

Not a writer by trade, but I do enjoy writing about our travels.:) Next up for us is the Diamond Princess next month - Singapore to Sydney.

P.S. I take it you had some issues with Carnival?:D

It is a great itinerary! However, I also will never again get atop a camel.

Looking forward to that review.

Our first cruise experience in 2002 was on Carnival and we pretty much wrote it off as a "do once in a lifetime" thing. Decor unimpressive and food was "blah" in the MDR and buffet (hey-we live in buffet land here in Vegas). The two things that impressed us was the size of the vessel (the only cruise ship we've been on was the Queen Mary in Long Beach :D) and the towel animals made by the steward. In 2005, our friend invited us to join them for a Mex Riviera cruise on the Diamond and we have been hooked ever since.

Archived