Can you get internet via MAC laptop on Connie (in stateroom or elsewhere)???

DrFUN

Help! We're MAC users, planning to bring our laptop on the Connie next month -- but have heard conflicting info about access using it. I've used their PCs in the computer room to access my webmail accounts, but I prefer to use my own so I can save messages to my laptop and read later, as well as compose replies offline...Anyone been there, done that?

-- Do they have a hookup for the stateroom? (We're in the new concierge class -- was 1A, but it's not a suite.)

-- Do they have wireless in some specific area (or even a hook-up)?

THANKS FOR ANY INSIGHTS/ADVICE!

Mary-Lou ("Dr. FUN")

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by DrFUN:

Help! We're MAC users, planning to bring our laptop on the Connie next month <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I wouldn't recommend that, Connie doesn't like laptops, I recommend a breasttop! Hope this helps!

This ship 10/91

That ship 11/95

Whatever ship 12/98

here a ship 13/99

there a ship 14/00

everywhere

a

ship ship 15/05

<font size="3" color=red>Over 1 year</font> into my LMBO cruise

Mary Lou, I hope you receive a response on this question. My daughter brought her laptop with her on Horizon but was unable to use it in the computer lab. We will be on the Constellation in November, maybe things will be different with an M class ship.

Till Constellation Southern Caribbean 11/27/04

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=228b22&cdt=2004;11;27;23;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

The in-room connections are modem connections. Not be a Mac person, can't tell you how well your laptop will work with this.

Also, only suites have this on M-class ships. And the rate is now fairly high, same as if you were in the onboard internet cafe. And like other class ships, no, you cannot hook your laptop up in the internet cafe.

Celebrity decided to outsource all of this and whoever got it is definitely driving prices up and services down.

George & MaryBeth

Thanks, MSUSigmaK! When I return from the Constellation, I'll post the scoop about this.

(BTW -- another "Small World" connection: I'm an honorary ZTA, initiated in MICHIGAN -- at CMU in Mt. Pleasant, where I served as General Adviser to the Gamma Omicron chapter when I worked at the university as a PBS TV producer and on-air talkshow host MANY years ago! I've been a mass comm professor in Phoenix for 21 years.)

Fraternally,

Mary-Lou

I was recently on Millennium, during the week the computer systems were upgraded. I liked having full access to AOL (In the past, you basically had access to e-mail and not areas such as chat rooms), as well as the slightly faster speed.

However, the new features come with a new price. Previously, it was .50 cents per minute in the cafe, and now it is .75 cents per minute.

Also, in room internet has gone up in price quite a bit. In the past, it was a flat price for unlimited use during the entire cruise. I believe it was 100.00 for thew week.

From what I hear, you now have only a certain number of minutes per day. Also, the price is 25.00 per day (at last check) with no discount for the entire week.

It is really a tough call. If you feel you need to be on the internet alot (I would hope we wouldnt want to do that on a vacation !), then taking your laptop is probably a good idea. If you only plan to use it occasionally, I would definately opt for using the internet cafe, and leave your laptop at home.

I am sailing on Summit in 9 days, and thanks to the new pricing schedule, I am leaving my laptop at home.

Since Celebrity chose to outsource this business, what was a very good deal in the past, is now just a so-so deal at best. Hopefully, Celebrity will try to come up with some better pricing, or promotions on this in the future.

I hope I answered your questions.

Regards,

Andy

Days Until Celebrity Summit 4/30/04

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=008080&cdt=2004;4;30;20;0;00&timezone=GMT-0400

Days Since Celebrity Millennium 11/30/03

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0000ff&cdt=2003;11;30;16;30;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Thanks, George & Mary Beth -- and Andy! I appreciate your responses.

I was hoping to be able to use my laptop to download and read my messages offline (and compose any necessary responses offline) -- rather than while the minutes are ticking, but that doesn't sound do-able....

Happy sailing, Andy! (Where are you going?)

Mary-Lou

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>TO use the internet on the ML class ships in your room, must be using a Windows based operating system.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks, DrunkRock. I was afraid it might be PC-based.... Guess we're stuck with using the ship's computers -- with the $$$-clock ticking away while we read our email and compose responses. icon_frown.gif

ANYBODY KNOW A WAY to read or at least COMPOSE responses offline with THEIR computers -- or to download TO our lap from theirs???

Thanks, all!

icon_wink.gif

Not sure if a Mac would work or not. You do have to have a modem and the ability to handle DHCP type connections (at least when we did it). Would think a Mac laptop should be able to handle both.

We hooked up a cruise-cam that could handle both and it certainly wasn't running windows or any OS at that time. Of course, that was back in the days of flat rate ($125/cruise) costs. Maybe they changed things. You should check with Celebrity to make sure.

Alternatives are internet cafes on shore (think large ports) and public libraries. The former have very cheap connection rates (like $1 an hour) and the latter are free but only in US possesions (USVI and Puerto Rico). Not sure if the libraries allow you to plug in your own machine (guessing not).

George & MaryBeth

icon_smile.gificon_smile.gif

Mary-Lou:

I used my Powerbook G4 on the Costellation last month. No problem what so ever. Just go to Guest Relations and order the internet access service Connect@Sea. Even though Celebrity's website states Windows; a Mac will work just fine as long as you have a modem.

I second what Cruzn2AK03 stated. You can use your Mac for Connect@Sea even though they say Windows. It is actually easier to use with a Mac than with Windows!!! It is a dialup connection so all you have to do is enter the phone number in Internet Connect. Nothing else, or account not even a user name or password.

THANKS A MILLION, George & MaryBeth, Cruzn2AK03, and Charles4515!

(Charles: What phone number do you use -- and do they then also charge you for the phone call? Is it modem-slow? Guess we're spoiled by our high-speed connection at home and work!)

BTW: We're on the 14-day Baltic cruise. Can't wait! icon_smile.gif

Thanks again,

Mary-Lou (& Dave)

The problem you might run into is not that it will work, but the setup person might not be all that knowledgable about MACs (or anything other than PCs). If you are a MAC geek you can probably get figured out yourself.

The phone number is actually your cabin phone number with a different prefix if we recall correctly. That the setup person should be able to provide.

Speed is limitted to modem speed, no broadband type access. And since it goes through sattilite its not always available, but they have done a much better job in improving this. Not just for passengers but the crew also has onboard internet access, mostly mail.

The little web-cam that Jeff Vagt (mr. cruisecram) was able to upload a 90K image about every 2 minutes on Summit several years back. We mounted it on the bar outside our penthouse suite, strung the wires and it actually worked icon_wink.gif. But without the $125 flat rate they were offering then (we actually also got the use of a terminal inside the suite) that will probably never happen again.

George & MaryBeth

Archived