Best time of year for a teacher to take a cruise?

justcruising

Hello,

I was just wondering if anyone has some advice as to a good time of year for a teacher to take a cruise. Of course, I want to avoid bumping into students...or hordes of kids in general, for that matter; so should I scratch February and April vacation right off the bat?

Has anyone cruised around Christmas time, or in the month of June? I was looking at those two time periods...

Any information would be appreciated!

Thanks!

This is a tough one, since you're off the same time as the kids are. First, eliminate the holidays. Believe it or not, lots of families cruise during Christmas. Spring break is another write-off, for obvious reasons. And of course, all hell breaks loose during the summer (generally from late May on).

The "retired" crowd cruises all year-round; but it's more a matter of the cruise line and length of the vacation. Generally speaking, Holland-America is the line of choice for many older travelers, and the longer the cruise (greater than seven nights), the more likely that retirees will predominate.

As far as I know, not every region has a winter vacation (February). We don't down here (Florida and the south in general), nor was there such a thing when I lived in NYC. It's probably the least of all evils - and prices are a little better, too. Hope this helps - have a great cruise!

Al

As a member of the "retired" teacher class I would say that unless you have some non-summer breaks, it's very hard to avoid being on a cruise with few children or retiree's. My brother-in-law went once over Christmas/New Year's and swore he'd never do that again because of the unruly children all over the place (I think that was on Carnival). Your best be might be late August.

:o Bless your little heart, you're kinda stuck between the rock and hard place, aren't you?

The only thing I can think would be to get a substitute teacher for a week - and just GO! Otherwise, you'll be cruising during spring break, holiday breaks, and summer break.....and so will all the kids of all ages. No fair.

I usually cruise during the first week of September, because I know MOST parents won't take their kiddies out at the first of the semester. I've never seen over a dozen kids on any cruises. Nice.;)

I am also a teacher and I have the same dilemma.

Christmas - Cruises are very popular with families during Christmas break, so they are not only crowded, but more expensive. The weather in the Caribbean is not always very good around that time period either. Prices are a lot less the week prior to Christmas than the week between Christmas and New Year's Day.

Spring Break - At least these vary somewhat from school district to school district so this might be a good bet if you can find a cruise that meets your needs during that time period.

Summer Vacation - Definately a busy time for families and includes Hurricane Season for the tropical locales. Prices are lower though! Lots of schools head back in late August so that might be a consideration (increased risk of hurricanes however). Summer is the only time for Alaskan cruises so that is an option, although their popularity leads to higher prices.

One good thing to know for teachers is that Holland America offers some special rates called Community Appreciation Fares for select cruises to teachers, firefighters, and police officers. You might ask for those fares to see if they meet your needs. We got a nice price on HAL's Zuiderdam last summer.

I wouldn't worry too much about cruising during peak "kid" times. We do it and have a great time.

Thanks for all of the great comments/suggestions so far... keep 'em coming!

I have been on four cruises so far, all prior to becoming a teacher, so I never really had this concern before. We always went around March/April, and always managed to avoid Spring Break and April vacation. I know there will always be families on board, but the last thing I need is to bump into a student after my fifth or sixth boat drink :)

We are geared more toward the party crowd, but in moderation...the Spring Breakers as a whole are just too much...those days aren't THAT far behind me!

I have been considering taking a week off from work, but part of me dreads doing that. I was looking at either the week after New Year's or the week before or after February vacation...any suggestions?

Thanks again!

As a former teacher, I can understand you're not wanting to cruise with the kiddies. I remember taking a cruise and bumping into three of my former students, that was not fun. But, you're stuck with taking a cruise at the same time you're kids are on vacation, so you don't have much choice. Some districts finish for the year as early as mid-May (Arizona) and some the last week of May, so June cruising will have lots of kids.

As for taking a week off, as someone who negotiated the contracts for the 6000 teachers of the Milwaukee Public Schools, you need to check your contract and talk to your union rep and see if it's legal to take a week off. I know that by our contract, and by many contracts I had to read for comparables, teachers were never allowed to take off a week for a personal vacation. I know of one teacher who did that, and was fired for misconduct (that's the term they use to get a teacher who violates the contract).

I have not normally had a problem with young people being on the cruise as long as they are not my students. More students tend to go on the springs trips. The older generation or Retirees do not create a problem at all for me. They go to bed early. (Joking) I am almost in the retirement bracket. Probably in 4 years when I turn 71 and no longer can stay up late I will retire. Until then I will teach 6 classes a day(7:50Am-2PM) Will coach after school until 5:30 pm from Aug -Dec. Do all the teachers meeting, 504s, inservice activities. Then home during season between 10-11Pm.

In between I am going to do every cruise I can afford or get someone to go with me. I will do everything possible on the ship. The sun, tours, shows, and if if find a group young enough will dance all nite of the cruise at least until Wed. when I start going to bed early. Do not put yourself in a position to lose your job.

PS the last of June first week of July to me are the best times to cruise, This post has tired me. I am going to bed . This is not sarcasism.

How tight are you with your principal? Take two personal days followed by three sick days.

I have 32 yrs. coaching in Texas, the district I work for allows for accumulated sick time but will not pay you for it when you retire. I informed my principal last week I will be using my sick time starting next year. I have 123 days and I do not plan on retiring anytime soon. Plan on taking off peak cruises during my offseason.

I'm a teacher and I'm taking a week off in April. We're allowed 5 personal days per year and I'm taking them all at once. I'm not sure if this is possible for you, but try your principal. Submit all of your "detailed" lesson plans in advance so you're principal knows you're not just leaving your students stranded. Let us know what happens.

Also, unless your cruising out of your hometown, the chances are very slim that you'll run into someone. But then again, 1 in a million is still ONE student you don't want to see!

I agree with previous suggestions that school districts that start later, end earlier or have a "winter" break might be good options. Long Holiday weekends might be available for a 3 or 4 day trips. Taking personal and sick days are touchy subjects in some districts so you would definitely want to get some feedback from your co-workers on that before going that route.

You might want to think about cruising from a port NOT near your hometown? For example, if you live on the East Coast instead of going out of Miami, go on cruise out of New Orleans, Baltimore or a West Coast cruise. While a flight might cost a little more for you, it would also cost more for a family. You cost is only times one, theirs would be 3 or 4 times.

I don't know how large your school district is but I would have to think that the odds of a student of yours being on your ship are fairly small with all the cruise lines and ships available. I say it is definitely worth the risk.

I'm assuming that you don't have the option of taking time off while school is still in session - otherwise, why post the question you did?

I'm still leaning toward February. The other times are slam-dunks for the ships being overrun with kids, many of whose parents, by the way, exercise absolutely no control over them.

It might also be advantageous since lots of folks will be paying for Christmas, and a cruise wouldn't be in the budget so soon after the holidays.

So make your choice and start packing!

Al

I'm a teacher and I usually cruise early June. In Florida, the schools tend to let out at the end of May. This year I'll finish post planning on June 1 and will leave for a cruise June 5. DH and I cruise without our children (do other vacations with them) so as long as the kids on board are not mine or not my students--they don't bother me in the least! LOL!

I am ataecher! I cruise with my family over the Christmas/New Years break. The other posters are correct in telling you that that time of year is expensive. We are going to the med aon another cruise this summer...not many children. I might recommend a Windjammer sailing cruise...young people..singles...not to many children! have fun!

We cruised as a family with the children one February school vacation year. We had 22 people, 10 were children ranging in ages from 5 upto 17 years old. We sailed Holland America 's Veendam for 7 days. We had a wonderful cruise, a very good mixture of age groups, some children, possibly 80 total. There were enough kids onboard for our kids to hang out with, but not enough to take over the ship, if you know what I mean.

We chose Holland America as that's what I and my family enjoy. I have been sailing Holland America for well over 20 years and I am 47 years old. I know they say HAL is for older people, but on a 7 day cruise, you will find a good age mixture on any cruise line. Remember one thing, the longer the cruise, the older the passengers will be and that's true of any cruise line.

Since you will be cruising during one of the school vacations, I would suggest to you either Celebrity or Holland America if you want to limit your children capacity onboard.

Hope this helps, enjoy whatever cruise line you decide on.

Archived