Buying "authentic" cigars in Cozumel

martymonty

Majority of Cigars you will buy are fake, they reproduce the wrapper to look just like the real deal.

I suggest you find a cigar shop in your area, go and buy 1 or 2 for him and talk to the shop keeper and tell them your a novice and would like to know the finer points of Cigars, Cohiba is one of the more popular players.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cohiba_(cigar_brand)

http://www.cubaverdad.net/cuban_cigars.htm

Do not buy from a peddler walking the beach, street or corner. Find a true shop that sells cigars.

Try this link

http://forums.cigaraficionado.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/7666095/m/860107024

Hope it helps.

John

OK, everyone knows the risks of bringing them back.

There is a La Casa del Habano in Cozumel now. It is downtown close to the dock where the ferries leave to go over to Playa del Carmen.

This is the only place that I can say is 100% legit.

The Havana Club in the mall is also reputable but it is not an LCDH.

We went on a cruise with my old college roomate. He went to several shops and checked out thier "Cubans". I don't know how he could tell, but he would immediately tell the shop owner that they were fake. He never got a rebuttal, so he must have been right. When he found, and bought, the real ones, I couldn't tell any difference (by sight- I don't smoke). I'm just curious-if you smuggle the fake Cubans in, thinking they are real, does customs know?

I remember buying cigars when the port was in a different spot a number of years back. They were not cuban cigars and from what I was told by someone here, they were the real thing. I'd just like to get him some cigars to have over the holidays.

Wait a minute; you're from Canada! Cubans are legal there, so why not go to a local shop and get them??????

Ontario has its own LCDH. If you google La Casa Del Habano, Ontario, it should take you to their website or address.:)

Great thread! CigarDude or anyone else smarter than me, how would one tell you are purchasing a real Cuban? I'm not going to bring it into the states, just want to smoke one on the ship. Thanks!

Google "Fake Cuban Cigars" online and their are several sites that bring up information on what to look for to identify real versus fake cigars. There is a too much information to just post it here. Knowing what labels look like, box markings, stamp markings, and general condition of the cigars takes a while to get good at identifying fakes. Even knowing all the signs doesn't guarantee you won't get an occasional fake because some unscrupulous dealers hide fakes under the top row in the boxes, re-glue labels on cigars, and stamps on original boxes. :mad: Your best bet is get a list of reputable dealers, like La Casa del Habano, and use them exclusively.

Habano Dealers[1].pdf

Thank you. I found: All Cuban cigar boxes are marked on the bottom with 3 tradmarks that are burned into the wood. The first trademark says "Habanos S.A". The second says "Hecho en Cuba". The third is "Totalmente a mano". Also, real Cuban boxes all have a date code stamped on the bottom in green, black, or blue. There is a Cuban seal wrapped on the outside on the bottom left corner of the box (unless it's a Cohiba box and those are on the bottom right). There is also the famouse white "Habanos" label on the top right corner of every Cuban box since 1994.

I just feel safer talking to someone who knows it (even on CruiseCritic :)), rather than getting information on some random webside. Thanks for your help. I will let you know how my endeavours went in Cozumel this December.

Thank you. I found: All Cuban cigar boxes are marked on the bottom with 3 tradmarks that are burned into the wood. The first trademark says "Habanos S.A". The second says "Hecho en Cuba". The third is "Totalmente a mano". Also, real Cuban boxes all have a date code stamped on the bottom in green, black, or blue. There is a Cuban seal wrapped on the outside on the bottom left corner of the box (unless it's a Cohiba box and those are on the bottom right). There is also the famouse white "Habanos" label on the top right corner of every Cuban box since 1994.

I just feel safer talking to someone who knows it (even on CruiseCritic :)), rather than getting information on some random webside. Thanks for your help. I will let you know how my endeavours went in Cozumel this December.

The cigar bands themselves are often a tipoff of fakes. They should be clearly printed and the detail should be clear and sharp. If they are blurry or the detail is not sharp, move on!

All of that info is worthless unless your buying a sealed box full. other wise they use a real box and keep fake singles in it. If your looking to just smoke a cigar on deck, go to a local cigar shop near your house and buy one or two before you leave the states.

John

All of that info is worthless unless your buying a sealed box full. other wise they use a real box and keep fake singles in it. If your looking to just smoke a cigar on deck, go to a local cigar shop near your house and buy one or two before you leave the states.

John

That's true, they can and will do that, but she's wanting some for her husband so she can save herself a lot of trouble and do what you said; go to a local shop in Canada, preferably an LCDH, and get the real deal for him.

Archived