Gift for room steward

martymonty

Every year we take a cruise in December, before the Christmas holiday. We decorate our cabin with a small battery fiber optic tree and a few other items. We also decorate our cabin door. It is our fun way to start our Christmas celebrating. We have done this for the past 5 years.

Every year we have asked our cabin steward if they would like our small fiber optic tree and decorations for their small cabin. We have always had a big smile in return and a resounding yes. Even those that are not of the Christian background still enjoy the decorations or give to another steward, for them to decorate their cabin. One stewart even wrote us a thank you note.

So, when we leave we always give them an extra tip (money) the docorations and a small gift box or shaving cream, tooth paste etc. We have been told they are not furnished these personal items from the ship and some have a hard time getting off the ship and purchasing these items.

So suggestion of decorations and hygiene gifts as well as money. They are people, like the rest of us, and the thought of a gift is always appreciated.

Just our tradition and suggestion. Whatever you do I am sure will be appreciated. God bles you! :)

[quote name='BeccaBecca1713']LOL, this thread made me chuckle 'cause it reminded me of a thread a few months ago where a woman was so proud that she "tipped" her steward with a CD she recorded of herself singing. Whew, that was a real doozie:p

to echo everybody else.......MONEY MONEY MONEY!!!![/QUOTE]

I love it!!!! I'm still laughing out loud at this. I must go find that post.

[quote name='klfrodo']Just what an Athiest, a Muslum, or a Buddhist would want,, a Christian momento :eek:[/quote]

Buddhists respect all religions. They have no quarrel with Santa. And considering our modern concept of Santa Claus is based largely on Coca Cola ads, I think the Christians are over-reaching themselves. That said, money talks and BS runs a marathon. ;)

[B]I love this thread! Also love the idea of folding money for the steward, after all they fold our towels. Bet they would get a kick out of it![/B] [URL]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Awqo47XSIdY&feature=fvst[/URL]

[quote name='susique333'][B]I love this thread! Also love the idea of folding money for the steward, after all they fold our towels. Bet they would get a kick out of it![/B] [URL]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Awqo47XSIdY&feature=fvst[/URL][/quote]

Until they have to unfold it to use it ...I mean, if you leave someone a bunch of ones folded into paper cranes, you make them impossible to use in a vending machine.

[quote name='BeccaBecca1713']LOL, this thread made me chuckle 'cause it reminded me of a thread a few months ago where a woman was so proud that she "tipped" her steward with a CD she recorded of herself singing. Whew, that was a real doozie:p

to echo everybody else.......MONEY MONEY MONEY!!!![/quote]Unless that passenger was Mariah Carey or Beyonce...

Cash is KING, it's all they want from you, that and a "Thank You."

[quote name='LemurCat']Until they have to unfold it to use it ...I mean, if you leave someone a bunch of ones folded into paper cranes, you make them impossible to use in a vending machine.[/quote]

[B]You run a bill over a sharp edge such as the edge of a table and you can use them in machines, have done this for years. Im certain most of this money gets sent back home to their families anyway or put in their bank account. <Happily making bow ties and flowers for the steward!>[/B]

[IMG]http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t168/susique333/HeartInHeart.jpg[/IMG]

[quote name='mariamherrera']I'm sorry people are jumping all over you.. I think giving them a present is a really sweet idea! I would probably limited it to something small like no bigger then the size of your hand or no bigger then something that could fit in a purse. My aunt make hand crafted beaded jewelery and she has brought a few of these with her to give to some of the crew who are women.. Or you could make a hand make book mark.and have it laminated. gift cards or phone cards. Of course Money will probably help them the most but I think gifts are a sweet cute idea! you should feel good about yourself![/quote]Please let me know where and when you become a waitress and I will tip you with a Hersheys bar instead of cash.

[quote name='MrCo9']Please let me know where and when you become a waitress and I will tip you with a Hersheys bar instead of cash.[/quote]

I was actually a hair dresser for many years- and had lots of people bring me home made cookies, flowers, hand made jewelry, etc as thank yous.. those things meant the most.. I realize I may not the "Average" person I think money is great but it also feels a little impersonal..In the case of the crew I realize they do need money the most so I think some money with a card and little hand made book mark or a hand crafted necklace is a nice gesture and I bet it would mean a lot to them as well...

Those have always been the best gifts to me! I still have a lot of the gifts people have given me over the years as "tips". and I'm telling you I look back at those little things and remember the people who gave them to me fondly... again I'm not discouraging money I think that's what they can benefit form the most but I think its' a sweet gesture to give something small , little and personal along with it..

On a cruise the steward was Muslim from Indonesia and a guest had given him a cross keychain and he asked my child if she wanted it. Many employees on cruise ships are not Christian and many cultures do not crave sweets like we do in North America. Give cash for extra service. These folks are not your friends but are employed to be friendly to you and clean your room or serve you food--period. Would you leave the maid at a land based vacation such as disney world a chocolate santa or keychain?

Last year during Easter, we where traveling with our Australian friends. The wife had brought some chocolate Easter bunnies from home, to put on their pillows.It was a little surprise for her husband. Apparently that is an Australian tradition.
On the way to their cabin, the cabin stewart flagged them down in the hall and thanked them for the bunnies. They where too surprised to say oops. And later agreed that nothing could have made them say that a mistake had been made.

Here is a video of a crew cabin on the Victory. If everyone gave these folks gifts...where would they put them? Hopefully this puts things into perspective. Cash! They love it.
[URL]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ruHax9mOoRE&feature=related[/URL]

The only thing additional I gave beyond cash was a book to one of the bartenders who showed an interest in it. (Cruise Confidential) Her husband worked in the dining room and she wanted to see how accurate it was.

My husband used $1's, $5's, and a $10 to make Origami animals for our room steward. Every day we would leave him a money animal, and every night he would leave us a towel animal. Our steward enjoyed it and told us so every time we saw him, and it was a fun way to interact with him. All of the animals added up to about $20 bucks, but became more of a personal gift when they were surprise shapes.

to echo everybody else.......MONEY MONEY MONEY!!!![/quote]

Seriously??? Oh my...

[quote name='lillian marie']On a cruise the steward was Muslim from Indonesia and a guest had given him a cross keychain and he asked my child if she wanted it. Many employees on cruise ships are not Christian and many cultures do not crave sweets like we do in North America. Give cash for extra service. These folks are not your friends but are employed to be friendly to you and clean your room or serve you food--period. Would you leave the maid at a land based vacation such as disney world a chocolate santa or keychain?[/quote]
Yes, I have done this before.

[quote name='dstone']Won't ignore my beliefs because other's are different.[/quote]

As someone who used to be mis identified by where I worked, whether it was a gift or an incorrect holiday greeting or wish, I NEVER made that gift giver/well wisher feel foolish.

I always said "THANK YOU!"

And I grimace when I see others need to "correct".

[quote name='martymonty']We've already paid our room grats up front when we booked, but just wondering if any of you have ever brought a little something to give to your room stewards. We've always had a male steward, is this always the case. Any ideas of what we could bring.[/QUOTE]

John Deere Penlights are very popular. Some will suggest Obama tshirts.

Leave the trinkets at home.

[quote name='pnjkeith']John Deere Penlights are very popular. Some will suggest Obama tshirts.

Leave the trinkets at home.[/QUOTE]

I am still going to stick w my plan to give everyone Florence Foster Jenkins CDs in lieu of tips. After all, everyone just loves music.

DON

[quote name='mariamherrera']I was actually a hair dresser for many years- and had lots of people bring me home made cookies, flowers, hand made jewelry, etc as thank yous.. those things meant the most.. I realize I may not the "Average" person I think money is great but it also feels a little impersonal..In the case of the crew I realize they do need money the most so I think some money with a card and little hand made book mark or a hand crafted necklace is a nice gesture and I bet it would mean a lot to them as well...

Those have always been the best gifts to me! I still have a lot of the gifts people have given me over the years as "tips". and I'm telling you I look back at those little things and remember the people who gave them to me fondly... again I'm not discouraging money I think that's what they can benefit form the most but I think its' a sweet gesture to give something small , little and personal along with it..[/QUOTE]

I can totally see where getting tips like that are great and personal, but you got to take all those flowers and treats back to your HOUSE. Not a broom-closet aka crew cabin. I think that's what folks are trying to stress. These workers just don't have the space.

[quote name='big_duck']Cash [B][I][U]and[/U][/I][/B] an honorable mention on the comment survey if they deserve it.[/quote]
DING DING DING!! We have a winner!!!

[quote name='klfrodo']Just what an Athiest, a Muslum, or a Buddhist would want,, a Christian momento [/quote]

LOL..it's a [B][I]chocolate[/I][/B] santa!!

if someone gave me a chocolate Buddah, Star of David or Pentagram, I would enjoy the chocolate just as much as a Santa....especially if it came in addition to a nice, cash tip. :)

Archived