Island Princess beds - comfortable?

Madame B

We are looking to book a Panama Canal cruise for 10 or 14 days on the Island Princess. Can someone please tell me if the beds are comfortable in a balcony room? We cruised on the Crown and Caribbean Princess this last year and were very disappointed in the beds, even with the addition of egg crates.

Thanks in advance!

Ann:)

We are looking to book a Panama Canal cruise for 10 or 14 days on the Island Princess. Can someone please tell me if the beds are comfortable in a balcony room? We cruised on the Crown and Caribbean Princess this last year and were very disappointed in the beds, even with the addition of egg crates.

Thanks in advance!

All the beds are the same on all the ships. Hard as concrete.

All the beds are the same on all the ships. Hard as concrete.

And we haven't found a Princess ship yet that they weren't exactly that. For those that like an extra extra firm mattress, they are thrilled, but for many of us, even the new thin foam mattress pads you can have placed on the bed don't make much of a difference. We take our own memory foam mattress pad now, and finally sleep like babies without waking up with every bone in our body hurting from sleeping on a too firm mattress. ;)

We are looking to book a Panama Canal cruise for 10 or 14 days on the Island Princess. Can someone please tell me if the beds are comfortable in a balcony room?

We cruised on the Island Princess in '06 and I don't remember any problems with the bed. But then I can usually sleep pretty much anywhere and on anything. Also, my DW never voiced any concerns about the beds not being comfortable.

You might want to take a look at this topic which talks about the Ruby Princess but I think applies to all Princess ships. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1284259

John, I have to say that in 2006, we never had a problem with any Princess bed. It has been since then that most of the ships have had all of their mattresses replaced with the extra firm ones. So, that might be the difference between what you experienced and what is offered now. ;)

I know when we were in Alaska last year ('09) on the Island, they were replacing mattresses each week. That's not to say they haven't done them since, but I can confirm that they were definitely being done during the Alaska season of 2009.

We can truthfully say that with all our cruises we have never come across a bed equal to, either inferior or superior, another. Ship beds are like hotel beds, no two alike. On our most recent cruise; where the North Atlantic was a little rough, I appreciated a bed that I sank well into thereby prohibiting me from tipping out either side... The second cruise delivered a bed that was very firm. Same ship, different deck.

Thanks in advance!

They are no different on the Island. If you didn't like them on the other boats, you won't like them on this ship either. I find them to be the same no matter what boat I am on.

Thanks in advance!

I was on the Island last month, though just for 2 nights ( Van-SFO). I went, expecting the worst and found no issues at all! The beds were just fine. We were in a balcony. This was a little "test" cruise in prep. for a longer trip in a few months. I had requested "eggcrates" for our longer trip but probably won't need them. Bon Voyage!

Thanks in advance!

PLease describe an egg crate mattress cover. I have no Idea what they are.

This is an egg crate mattress pad:

0900631b81839bd8M.tif?wid=180&hei=180&op_sharpen=1

But princess has changed them the last few years and they are more like these (only the ones they use I think are less than 1" thick so they really don't help a lot) What we have seen they use now is more like a really thin piece of foam with a few bumps in them. The one below looks great in comparison:

517Ij3lkbAL._AA160_.jpg

PLease describe an egg crate mattress cover. I have no Idea what they are.

This is the best description I can give you. ;)

P11397732c.jpg

I've used Serta and loved it before. There are many different types of mattress toppers, this one happens to be memory foam. They go over the mattress (under your sheets) and make the bed much softer. "Stewart" usually has no problem putting them in the bed if you bring your own, though the ship also has some, not necessarily very reliable though.

This is an egg crate mattress pad:

0900631b81839bd8M.tif?wid=180&hei=180&op_sharpen=1

But princess has changed them the last few years and they are more like these (only the ones they use I think are less than 1" thick so they really don't help a lot) What we have seen they use now is more like a really thin piece of foam with a few bumps in them. The one below looks great in comparison:

517Ij3lkbAL._AA160_.jpg

You stole my idea....AND found better pictures!! :eek: There's no winning against you TOTO. ;) :p

This is the best description I can give you. ;)

P11397732c.jpg

I've used Serta and loved it before. There are many different types of mattress toppers, this one happens to be memory foam. They go over the mattress (under your sheets) and make the bed much softer. "Stewart" usually has no problem putting them in the bed if you bring your own, though the ship also has some, not necessarily very reliable though.

Oh, I only wish they used memory foam type toppers, but they are only regular foam and very very thin (less than 1" thick). But I totally agree, the steward is happy to put the one we bring with us on the bed for us. :)

What would the steward think about our feather bed topper? I think we may bring it as I cannot sleep on a hard mattress. Do you think it would be a problem for him to fluff it when making the bed? Yes I am serious. 2 weeks is a long time to be sleep deprived - especially on vacation!:o

What would the steward think about our feather bed topper? I think we may bring it as I cannot sleep on a hard mattress. Do you think it would be a problem for him to fluff it when making the bed? Yes I am serious. 2 weeks is a long time to be sleep deprived - especially on vacation!:o

We always take our memory foam topper, and never had a problem with the steward placing it on the bed for us. If your topper takes a lot of extra time to 'fluff', you might want to be a little generous (you know what I mean) when you ask the steward to take care of that for you........since it is above and beyond his normal duties. I don't think it would be a problem. ;)

Yes reward Stewart and ye shall receive. ;)

Archived