Would you take a 6th grader out of school for 5 days to save $800?

ssatterly

The difference between middle school and elementary school is there are more teachers to deal with, and they don't necessarily coordinate. And when they do, they are trying to spread out the big projects, so you are more likely to have a big project due every week. It will be harder for her to keep up in middle school than it was in elementary school.

So it really depends on how motivated she is, and you are, to make sure she keeps up. Are you willing to talk to all the teachers, and make sure she finishes whatever project she is missing that week in the time frame she needs to finish it in? Is she willing to double up on projects for a week to have that week off? It may mean skipping afterschool stuff for a couple of weeks to catch up, is that okay with her?

My girls are straight A students, and we would occasionally pull them for a day here and there. But for us, pulling out for a full week would have resulted in much more stress than we could have vacationed off in that week, so it wouldn't have been worth it to us.

Yes I would.

Yes I have.

And have always done so by checking with the school first.

And your child is beautiful, gifted and hasn't been deeply scarred or impaired by this.

Again, I wish I'd have pulled mine out. Both my DH and I were total buttheads about it.

I really wish I could go back and be a more relaxed parent...I guess I'll have to wait to be a grandmother for that.

What is the parent's responsibility? Making sure they are physically in school during arbitrarily set school time? IMHO, my responsibility is making sure 1) the absence will be excused by the school and 2) my kids get the worked assigned done in an accurate and timely manner. As long as this done, then I am acting responsibly in scheduling a vacation during the school year.

Some parent's work schedule does not allow them to vacation during those school breaks. Some parent's economic situation does not allow them to take vacations during the more expensive and crowded school breaks. The responsible thing for these parents, based on their work schedule and economic situation, is to work with the school and their kids to plan a vacation that works for their family.

Vacations are something we make a priority in our family. We are all busy with work, school, athletics, dance and church. We value this time together as family with no other distractions. It's my responsibility as the planner of our vacations to make sure I pick the time that has the least impact on all of our schedules and our vacation budget. Sometimes that means missing a couple days of school. Since my kids can handle missing a couple of days and the school policy allows it, then it is not irresponsible of me to plan during that time. Again it is a personal family decision based on each families personal situations. Calling people irresponsible or morally wrong for making the decision to do it, IMHO, is not right. There is no right or wrong answer, it depends on the family.

Point well taken...

Yet not all are as responsible as you in their parenting skillset.

Many have no examples of what is a functioning family, coming from broken and dysfunctional home situations.

Many do not have the built-in sense of responsibility and sacrifice from a caring upbringing, and therefore the teachers have to fill the many gaps that exist to adequately maintain a teachable classroom.

I want to believe they're all doing the best they can.

Al

And your child is beautiful, gifted and hasn't been deeply scarred or impaired by this.

Again, I wish I'd have pulled mine out. Both my DH and I were total buttheads about it.

I really wish I could go back and be a more relaxed parent...I guess I'll have to wait to be a grandmother for that.

Why thank you ma'am!

I have the scars. At grade school graduation, they were announcing the prize for some nerd who attended school the most days in the previous 8 years. Then they announced my name. :o

Point well taken...

Yet not all are as responsible as you in their parenting skillset.

Many have no examples of what is a functioning family, coming from broken and dysfunctional home situations.

Many do not have the built-in sense of responsibility and sacrifice from a caring upbringing, and therefore the teachers have to fill the many gaps that exist to adequately maintain a teachable classroom.

I want to believe they're all doing the best they can.

Al

The thing is, the OP asked a question, and although her motivation for asking it is saving money, most parents on this board have responded with a yes...as long as she did it responsibly. By being responsible, we have suggested she contact the school to make sure the absence is excused and make sure her child can handle making up the work without it affecting her grades. We are all telling her to be responsible with her decision making, but then she gets a response like yours telling her that to go during school is irresponsible, period...I'm just saying that your response is not necessarily true. If she follows the advice given by many posters to contact the school and she knows her child can handle it, then it is a responsible decision.

The thing is, the OP asked a question, and although her motivation for asking it is saving money, most parents on this board have responded with a yes...as long as she did it responsibly. By being responsible, we have suggested she contact the school to make sure the absence is excused and make sure her child can handle making up the work without it affecting her grades. We are all telling her to be responsible with her decision making, but then she gets a response like yours telling her that to go during school is irresponsible, period...I'm just saying that your response is not necessarily true. If she follows the advice given by many posters to contact the school and she knows her child can handle it, then it is a responsible decision.

Actually, my first post was to bring up the point for debate and discussion without any judgment of any singular opinion. Now, you're not saying I shouldn't bring up other sides for discussion sake, right?:)

Al

Actually, my first post was to bring up the point for debate and discussion without any judgment of any singular opinion. Now, you're not saying I shouldn't bring up other sides for discussion sake, right?:)

Al

Here's one for you.

I never even thought of taking a child out of school until I was on a Disney bus heading for the ship, with a teacher on it.

I was like, WTH????

She said it was common these days for students and teachers to take vacation during the school year.

Was news to me! And planted a seed, which has now sprouted.

Al

Nope...I like a good debate:). That's what we are doing:D.

I don't tell all parents that they should just pull their kids out of school for vacation, no matter what...just like I don't tell parents they should not pull kids out of school, ever, because it is irresponsible. I tow the middle of the line and say it depends on the child, the school and your family situation. In some cases it is a good decision to take the kids out of school, in some cases it may not be. It is the parents job to make the responsible decision. Many posters, like myself, have responded with what a responsible decision should be based on.

What I will do, is debate with the people who post an opinion that it is an irresponsible decision to take kids out of school, period. Because its not. It depends on the circumstances of that family. And I will gladly come on here to debate that point.

Nope...I like a good debate:). That's what we are doing:D.

I don't tell all parents that they should just pull their kids out of school for vacation, no matter what...just like I don't tell parents they should not pull kids out of school, ever, because it is irresponsible. I tow the middle of the line and say it depends on the child, the school and your family situation. In some cases it is a good decision to take the kids out of school, in some cases it may not be. It is the parents job to make the responsible decision. Many posters, like myself, have responded with what a responsible decision should be based on.

What I will do, is debate with the people who post an opinion that it is an irresponsible decision to take kids out of school, period. Because its not. It depends on the circumstances of that family. And I will gladly come on here to debate that point.

I won't say it is irresponsible but I will say I am not personally a fan of it. Part of that has to do with the fact that since it is unexcused in my district I follow the rules and understand those absences mean work can't be made up. A lot of other parents just lie about the excuse and their kids get to make up work. But even then it isn't like it is the kid's fault so I don't get that upset.

I will say in recent years with a couple of our college grads/interns that we have had they seem to not understand you can't book vacation for just whenever you like and it has to do with when others are out, project timing etc. And that frustrates me and I want to draw a comparison but that probably isn't fair either.

I will say I don't at all recommend it. And that while travel is educational I am not sure it makes up the skills they are learning at that particular time. (And we are pretty well traveled outside of cruises...certainly I am not sure my son gets that much cultural immersion and education on a cruise.)

But those are all my opinions and I don't think these choices have a lifelong impact at all. (even if i want to draw that line in the scenario with our college grads..it probably isn't really there)

Definitely, YES!!! As a single parent, things were difficult enough, so I'd take advantage of every opportunity I could. My daughter has been traveling w/ me since she was 3 y/o. Her 1st flight was at that age. Truthfully, she wasn't that great of a student as time went on, but she knew a lot about the USA. (BTW, she graduated from NYU w/ an accelerated Master/Social Work degree. She loved NYC because of our travels there), and the bonus was, she knew how to get around the subway system.

I recently told a person I work with, who is a 4 year graduate R.N., that we were on South America/Antarctica cruise last year, and her response was "WOW, so you went to Africa!!! Was there snow?"!!! NO LIE!!:eek:

Definitely, YES!!! As a single parent, things were difficult enough, so I'd take advantage of every opportunity I could. My daughter has been traveling w/ me since she was 3 y/o. Her 1st flight was at that age. Truthfully, she wasn't that great of a student as time went on, but she knew a lot about the USA. (BTW, she graduated from NYU w/ an accelerated Master/Social Work degree. She loved NYC because of our travels there), and the bonus was, she knew how to get around the subway system.

I recently told a person I work with, who is a 4 year graduate R.N., that we were on South America/Antarctica cruise last year, and her response was "WOW, so you went to Africa!!! Was there snow?"!!! NO LIE!!:eek:

Both parts of that statement are crazy. She clearly doesn't understand geography Of course there is snow in Africa in some areas at some times! The continent is pretty big! And of course Africa isn't South America/Antarctica!

I probably have different thoughts on this matter than most. I strongly believe school should be treated as a job. It is the child (parent) responsiblity to be there when they are supose to be there. I would think under certain circumstances taking a child out of school would be ok if the event/vacation would be educational and would be excused.

Although I do not know many school districts that would allow a child to be out of school for a week unexcused. I do not believe that I could tell a fictional story to allow my child to get an excused absence. (I know the original poster did not say anything about not telling the truth) The school district my son attended sent me a nasty letter after he missed 5 days (all excused). By the way my son was out due to a head injury that he received while he was at the asst. principal's house. My son was in ICU. I will say I did call the school and was proabably not a nice person but I never received another letter concerning this matter. By the way my son is fine now and attended college.

Just looking still for next year and the prices are appox $800+ cheaper when school is in rather than out? Would you take a 6th grader out for 5 days for that amount of savings?

No flaming please just what thoughts. I have not booked anything yet so I am still looking and pondering the thoughts.

BE prepared to get flamed anyway. Sorry but true. I am pulling my 6th grader and my 10th grader out in January, right after the end of semester exams. They will miss three days. Some of the teachers are OK with it, some are simply dead set against. Our schools permit excused abscences for "educational travel", others do not. Either way it is truly a parenting decision and you must be the one to decide whether or not your children can easily make up missed work, tests, exams, etc. I cannot cruise during the high season (spring/summer) because of work and other committments so if I take my children we have to go during January/February. it is up to me, not the school, teachers or others...

There are some other threads on here about that as well. I think there was one on the "family cruising" board a while back.

Take it! With school systems these days your kid will prob learn more while on the cruise than sitting with his head down listening to the teacher. My parents took my brother and sister out for an entire week and in fact doing it again this January. Middle school is just a holding tank. And if worried about school work make your kid write a journal entry every day he is on the ship and speak to the teacher about a presentation. Make it fun and enjoy the trip! $800 is a great start for your next cruise!

I won't say it is irresponsible but I will say I am not personally a fan of it.

That's all that needs to be said then, right???

Not everyone feels like you do and nor should they. Everone's circumstances are different.

Just looking still for next year and the prices are appox $800+ cheaper when school is in rather than out? Would you take a 6th grader out for 5 days for that amount of savings?

No flaming please just what thoughts. I have not booked anything yet so I am still looking and pondering the thoughts.

I vote YES.

Absolutely. Kids aren't learning anything in school these days anyways... :)

On a serious note, I think it all depends on the individual. If you are assured that they will be able to catch up with what they missed, then for it. Maybe get the assignements before hand and have them do it on the plane, waiting in the airport, etc.

Take it! With school systems these days your kid will prob learn more while on the cruise than sitting with his head down listening to the teacher. My parents took my brother and sister out for an entire week and in fact doing it again this January. Middle school is just a holding tank. And if worried about school work make your kid write a journal entry every day he is on the ship and speak to the teacher about a presentation. Make it fun and enjoy the trip! $800 is a great start for your next cruise!

Wow:rolleyes:

Yes! You can also turn it into an educational trip too. Will be a good experience for him/her.

yes I would and did. At that age they wont be missing much at school but could learn A LOT from the different places. Our kids teachers had them do a project on the places they would visit and if any tests were missed during that time they would use the assignments as their mark.

Archived