asthma

Pacruiser02

Hi! My son and I both have asthma. I use an inhaler and my little guy uses a nebulizer treatment when needed. May I bring his nebulizer machine and liquid medicine on the ship? What about on an air plane? Can I pack the liquid albuterol medicine for his machine in my carry on?

Thank!

Yes, you can bring it on the ship and plane. All medications, even liquids are allowed on your carryon. And if your little guy needs it, do not check it. You never know what can happen to a checked bag, you're much better off with it in your carry on. Just in case, bring a script from your doctor that has his name on it in case htey give you any trouble.

From the TSA website:

Travelers with Disabilities and Medical Conditions

Medications

You may bring all prescription and over-the-counter medications (liquids, gels, and aerosols) including petroleum jelly, eye drops, and saline solution for medical purposes.

Additional items you may bring include:

Liquids including water, juice, or liquid nutrition or gels for passengers with a disability or medical condition;

Life-support and life-sustaining liquids such as bone marrow, blood products, and transplant organs;

Items used to augment the body for medical or cosmetic reasons such as mastectomy products, prosthetic breasts, bras or shells containing gels, saline solution, or other liquids; and,

Gels or frozen liquids needed to cool disability or medically related items used by persons with disabilities or medical conditions.

You are not limited in the amount or volume of these items you may bring in your carry-on baggage. BUT if the medically necessary items exceed 3 ounces or are not contained in a one-quart, zip-top plastic bag, you MUST declare to one of our Security Officers at the checkpoint for further inspection.

For more information on these measures, please read our memo outlining our policy. Changes in Allowances for Persons with Disabilities at Airport Security Checkpoints (PDF, 101 KB)

http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/specialneeds/editorial_1059.shtm

We broought a nebulizer the first cruise because I wasn't sure how my daughter would handle the heat and humidity. We were driving so just had it in a regular suitcase. Part of the machine was crushed after we handed baggage off to the porter and before we got to the room. Don't make that mistake. Keep it in carryon baggage for sure.

We've carried the medicine on airplanes many times. Just put it in the quart sized baggies so it is easy to pull it out for airplane security. If you need multiple quart baggies for prescription medication that is fine. They will not limit you to one baggie. Just make sure that if you have the little plastic vials out of the box, that you carry the prescription portion of the box in the baggie too. We just cut the prescription info off one side of the box and throw it in the baggie with the little vials instead of trying to carry the box with us.

Hi! My son and I both have asthma. I use an inhaler and my little guy uses a nebulizer treatment when needed. May I bring his nebulizer machine and liquid medicine on the ship? What about on an air plane? Can I pack the liquid albuterol medicine for his machine in my carry on?

Thank!

Yes..my son has cystic fibrosis and we travel all the time with the nebulizer machine, liquid and all kinds of medications and never have a problem....Your nebulizer and meds can be in another bag inaddition to your carryon.That helps if you need extra space in your carryons...

Charleyann

You can bring all the asthma drugs or any meds you need and use his nebulizer in your cabin for breathing treatments. My son takes 2 breathing treatments a day and uses albuterol as needed by inhaler. We've never had any problems on a cruise with his meds.

I used to do the same, on our trips to disneyland. Got questioned a few times when the nebulizer went through the scanner at the airport "what is that thing with the fan in it?" but no problem getting it through when I explained what it was. Always kept it with me, the trip would have been over if it had been lost by the airline.

Archived