June, July or August?

Plankton1

I am planning on a trip to AK Summer 2011. Which time, in your opinion, is best--June, July or August?

I read that there is the most daylight during June and August is during the salmon runs. I want to fish, see bears and eagles--otherwise, I am pretty open.

Early in the season there's less probability of rain and lower temperatures, but no one can say for sure what the weather will be. Early season is cheaper. August is the peak, so is more expensive. You'll see eagles all summer, but bears are more visible when the salmon run.

We went July 21. We didn't go to see bears but saw them from the side of the ship i.e. we didn't go bear watching. I do know that a couple of people who went to see bears didn't see one. There was one in downtown Juneau however!!

The weather was nice - no rain - not warm. We sat outside a couple of times bundled up when the sun was out. The trip was amazing.

We didn't see eagles either except for one baby one.

I would imagine eagles will be pretty easy to see. You just have to know what to look for. They usually like to sit high in the trees. Look for the traditional white head up high in the trees, near the water. They only fly when they are hunting. The babies have an annoying cry. You should also be able to see Golden eagles (no "bald" or white head). When the soar, they often like to soar up high in the sky. Again, they are very LARGE birds.

Where we live it is a common site now to see eagles, if you know where to look. When I was growing up we never saw an eagle. They have really made a come back here in Wisconsin. They will not only eat fish, but road kill as well. If you are driving along you may see them feeding on carcasses as well.

Alaska is a long way to go to see eagles, so if you want to see these great birds you could always plan a vacation to Wisconsin ;). Prairie du Sac has bald eagle days in the winter as they flock below the last dam on the Wisconsin to fish, and almost any where along the upper Mississippi you will be able to see them in the winter. In the summer the lakes of northern Wisconsin are also a great place. On the lake where we vacation each summer we have had a pair successfully fledged babies the last two years.

If bears and salmon runs are a must late July to early August.

Each couple weeks has their special season. For example if fishing is your thing then also plan carefully.

I am planning on a trip to AK Summer 2011. Which time, in your opinion, is best--June, July or August?

I read that there is the most daylight during June and August is during the salmon runs. I want to fish, see bears and eagles--otherwise, I am pretty open.

A question that isn't mentioned, is, where are you going to be?? Is this touring including interior Alaska??

IF not, you need to look at into July, IF you want better bets for bear viewing and tour availability. You do have "chance" sighthings options, going earlier, depends IF you are going to be committed to extended time and in areas of possible bears??

If you are going to be interior Alaska, AND in Denali park, then all these times will offer you good bear sightings.

Eagles are everywhere in Alaska, you HAVE to invest the time looking. Necessary is a good pair of binoculars. Keep looking up.- Simple :)

Archived