Pacific Jewel

Sandielle

Interesting that P&O are anxious to show videos of stabiliser, big screen and dance floor in the atrium but nothing about the real problem, ie,

engine room/ propulsion system.:(

Amazing that not alot about the engine room/ propulsion system . IT seeems that when it comes to engine rooms/ engine problems with any of the three ships P&O go all quite about it. and do not say much.

I really think the reason that the video did not show the engine room/ propulsion system is because maybe they are trying to get people to forget about it so that people will still book on there cruise line.

or may be if they showed people what realy goes on or or is going on, people may under stand a bit better.

or may be if they showed people what realy goes on or or is going on, people may under stand a bit better.

Ok, i thought this was slightly logical but maybe not - on a plane you cannot go into the cockpit or engine room led alone take a photo or even see it.

I think its perfectly fine to not show any of it - they were upfront and told people of the problem. Besides, i'd much rather see what they have shown rather than an engine room - there is nothing interesting to see.

It would be good if it wasnt just them that went quiet when things happen...

I am not disagreeing with you theid i just believe that is the only logical reason they are doing it .

I would rather them enplane what went on with the engine and what not because i get really interested in what goes on in the life of a cruise ship.

I rang to arrange my upcoming PJ cruise (Jan 2011) final payment yesterday. I asked the gent on the phone about the repairs. He mentioned the screen, the new atrium dancefloor and the work on the stabiliser, but did not mention the propulsion issue. So I asked him and his only reply was, "we are anticipating PJ sailing to the pacific on 27 November."

The dry dock and the work they are showing on the video has been planned since Ausgust when they cancelled the 1 cruise to fix the stabiliser, so they would have known in advance that they would be making a video of it and been able to organise the filming.

The engine room repairs are a bit different, not so much room and from what the photo showed that P&O posted on twitter, it could be a tight spot they're working in.

Personally i think it's better that they get on with fixing it without having to worry about interrrupting their work for someone to film it. It's the most important and time-critical work of all they are doing, so they probably don't want to interrupt it.

And of course it's standard business practice not to focus on the negative anyway, so they'll be avoiding mentioning it if they can.

hi,

i am going to give my 2 cents work!

i reckon p&o are trying to hide the engine repair by showing us the dry dock videos to butter us up for the cancellation of j036,

i just wished they say the truth....even let us know each day what is really happening?

we cruise on j037 on dec 10th so who knows if that will go ahead,even if they cancel j036 that will give them 2 more weeks?

p.j will have to leave dry-dock 21-27th of nov in that week to make the next cruise.

i hope i am wrong about this but i have a sneaky suspicion that p&o may cancel j036 cruise to nz i hope not!!!but they have been very quite on the engine repair.i know ships very well and this repair is major?the rest of the modifications they have made are easy,can be done in 2 weeks.

that's what i think.

cheers matt

i posted this on the p&o facebook,i hope this wont happen...

matt

Ok, i thought this was slightly logical but maybe not - on a plane you cannot go into the cockpit or engine room led alone take a photo or even see it.

I think its perfectly fine to not show any of it - they were upfront and told people of the problem. Besides, i'd much rather see what they have shown rather than an engine room - there is nothing interesting to see.

It would be good if it wasnt just them that went quiet when things happen...

P&O have shown partlt of the engine room and why not show the refit or repairs, and I would love to you get into the engine room on a plane unless you are into some wing walking.

P&O have shown partlt of the engine room and why not show the refit or repairs, and I would love to you get into the engine room on a plane unless you are into some wing walking.

I do base jumping, so why not off the wing of a plane? Care to join me :P

I hope the cruise goes ahead so that more people don't miss out - but at least its a full blown repair and its getting done thoroughly

Just posted on P&O FB

Pacific Jewel return to service update

by P&O Cruises Australia on Friday, November 19, 2010 at 12:12pm

Hi Everyone,

Here is another update on Pacific Jewel. We remain just as confident that Jewel will be sailing on November 27 as scheduled on J036 ‘White Cloud Wonders’. We will be doing a sea trial in coming days to confirm the effectiveness of the repair of Pacific Jewel's propulsion system. The trial is an important formality but we don't anticipate any issues. Overall, the news is again upbeat and everyone on board Jewel is looking forward to sailing again with a full complement of passengers very soon.

Thanks,

P&O Cruises

Hi Everyone,

Here is another update on Pacific Jewel. We remain just as confident that Jewel will be sailing on November 27 as scheduled on J036 ‘White Cloud Wonders’. We will be doing a sea trial in coming days to confirm the effectiveness of the repair of Pacific Jewel's propulsion system. The trial is an important formality but we don't anticipate any issues. Overall, the news is again upbeat and everyone on board Jewel is looking forward to sailing again with a full complement of passengers very soon.

Thanks,

P&O Cruises

No need to apologise, Drelix, LOL. :) I was having a joke on myself as much as anything. You see, I did that yesterday to Kiwi cruiser - did not see he had already posted.

Let's hope those French engineers have really got it fixed, eh? :rolleyes:

From the Pacific Jewel Blog:

Hi Everyone,

Here is another update on Pacific Jewel. We remain just as confident that Jewel will be sailing on November 27 as scheduled on J036 ‘White Cloud Wonders’. We will be doing a sea trial in coming days to confirm the effectiveness of the repair of Pacific Jewel’s propulsion system. The trial is an important formality but we don’t anticipate any issues. Overall, the news is again upbeat and everyone on board Jewel is looking forward to sailing again with a full complement of passengers very soon.

Thanks,

P&O Cruises

Update on the Pacific Jewel from the Sydney Ports Ship Movements web site, updated 3.45pm Monday 22/11.

Pacific Jewel to leave Dry Dock 8.00am Wed 24/11 & proceed to sea. She will anchor of Sydney overnight before returning to Glebe Island No. 1 at 5.45am Thur 25/11.

She will then move to BARANGAROO 5 PASSENGER TERMINAL(BAR5) at approx 6pm on the Fri 26/11 after the Pacific Sun departs that berth. The Pacific Jewel is scheduled to depart for New Zealand at 4pm Sat 27/11.

face book 5.10 pm from P&O

Hi Everyone you'll remember on Friday, we said Pacific Jewel will undergo a sea trial prior to her return to service for the J036 White Cloud Wonders Cruise leaving Sydney on Saturday (November 27). We confirm Pacific Jewel will leave the Garden Island dry dock on Wednesday morning for her sea trial. As we said on Friday, we're pleased with the repair and we don't anticipate issues from the sea trial. The Jewel remains scheduled to depart from Wharf 5 Darling Harbour on Saturday afternoon. We're sure everyone is going to love Jewel's new Big Screen and the other on board improvements.

.:D

No sign off any movement yet, she is still stationary at Garden Island and checking webcam every few minutes watching from Kirribilli across Fort Denison to the end of Garden Island.

Confirmed on shiptracker. Also no sign of any tugs in the vicinity.

Archived