Behind the fun tour

myangel

I am really looking forward to signing up and attending the behind the fun tour on the Legend next month! My question is....... has anyone that has already done it thought it wasn't worth the money? not long enough? Any places they did not show you that you would have liked to have seen? Thanks!

I am really looking forward to signing up and attending the behind the fun tour on the Legend next month! My question is....... has anyone that has already done it thought it wasn't worth the money? not long enough? Any places they did not show you that you would have liked to have seen? Thanks!

I would have liked to have seen the engine room but they said it was a safety issue.

The tour lasted almost 4 hours on the Glory and we thought it was outstanding.

dumb questijon - what is it? a tour of the inner workings of the ship? what is the cost?

We just did it on the Triumph and loved it. Our favorite thing was the info on where the dancers and stage crew work behind the scenes. Also really enjoyed the conversation with the Captain, we had about 30-45 minutes to ask any question we wanted while touring the bridge. We also got 3 photos each, including one with the captain. I would highly reccomend it.

I just did it on the Splendor and it was very good. It is steep, ($95.00/person) so it is up to you and what you like to decide that. I think it is a bit expensive for what the tour is, but by the same token, if it was cheaper, I can see it being overrun. With the sensitive areas you visit, it is clear that 16 people in two separate tours is about the max. I do think the high price is set to somewhat discourage a 100 people from doing it. I can see if it was cheaper, 16 people can be one family with kids and grandparents, and on a ship with 3000 and room for 32 people. At $95.00/person, I did it myself with my husband saying, for a few hours for both of us ($180), he wasn't interested and I could "tell him about it". The price keeps it a small number of people who are interested in the tour and willing to pay a lot to do it.

It is not a "value for the money" tour, but I enjoyed it and will probably do it on different ships to see the difference. It is cheaper on smaller ships ($55.00 and a little shorter) and at that price, my husband might come along on our next cruise on the Imagination.

As for what we saw....on the Splendor, we saw the "control room" but not the actual engine room which is off limits. We saw the hallways leading past the crew cabins but were not actually shown a crew cabin. We did see "public" behind the scenes areas-laundry, training room for crew, the crew mess hall, stage areas, loading docks, storage for garbage, food and luggage, toured the galley & talked to the chef and the bridge. We were shown where the infirmary was but we were not shown inside the infirmary, just a door that said "infirmary". We were told of the "morgue" and "brig" and we walked past a closed door that we were told was those areas, but they were not shown to us. As a Nurse, I would have liked to see the medical facilities on board but that was not shown at all.

My husband, myself and my mother in law did it on the Triumph last year. Although we won't do it again until my son is old enough it was great and I was really, really glad we did it. I think it was worth the money.

I did it on the Dream and thought it was well worth the money. The only thing I didn't see that I would have liked to is a crew cabin. We did see the crew mess, bar and gym. We saw the engine control room but not the actual engines. The galley tour was a large part of the tour and I found it really neat. They had treats, fresh out of the oven for us to sample. We also had chocolate covered strawberries. We toured the kitchen area of the steak house as well. We received little tote bags, Carnival hats and 3 8x10 photos each. Plus the chef sent some treats to our room afterwards.

Now I am even MORE excited!!! Since this cruise coming up will be our 10th, I will be able to get on the ship a little bit quicker, and then I am going straight to sign up!!! My husband said "not interested, tell me about it", so I am saving some money!!! HAHA

How do I go about signing up for a Fun Tour / Behind The Scene Tour / Galley Tour or anyother tour that is on a ship? Do I call carnival now and ask for it? Do I go to guest services on board the ship as soon as I get on the ship? New to this and it sounds like something I would really enjoy. I'm sure the answers to my questions have been on these boards before but, as I said, I'm new to all of this. Thanks for help .....

How do I go about signing up for a Fun Tour / Behind The Scene Tour / Galley Tour or anyother tour that is on a ship? Do I call carnival now and ask for it? Do I go to guest services on board the ship as soon as I get on the ship? New to this and it sounds like something I would really enjoy. I'm sure the answers to my questions have been on these boards before but, as I said, I'm new to all of this. Thanks for help .....

Go to the shore excursions desk as soon as you board. they only offer 2 on the last sea day and only about 20 people per tour so it may fill up quickly

Go to the shore excursions desk as soon as you board. they only offer 2 on the last sea day and only about 20 people per tour so it may fill up quickly

We did this on the Miracle last week.... definitely worth the money, IMO. We signed up at the shore excursions desk as soon as it opened on embarkation day - I was #3 in line and both the people in front of me each took 3 spots so it definitely fills very fast. The shore excursion desk will probably not open until Noon, at least it didn't on the Miracle on 10/26.

Heres a pic of my goodie bag:

Hat, Backpack, Lanyard and some kind of plastic bracelet thingy

I got the same goodies on my May Dream behind the scene tour. It was pricey and it was the only Carnival booked excursion I did during the 7 days (we did two non-carnival booked in St. Thomas/St Maarten).

My son wasn't interested, sleep was more for him as you had to be there pretty early, and it was long. I was worn out when it was over. It finishes at a weird time and you miss lunch. (I prefer the dining room) I did enjoy it a lot. It would have been nice to see a staff cabin. (When we sailed the Holiday, our Cabin steward's cabin was on our floor, down the hall from us so I saw hers)

I think I just got tired of people (one person) asking really dumb questions but loved seeing in the kitchen. I wouldn't do again unless my teenager wanted to do. I also got motion sick a bit doing it. I think it was from being so far below sea level. My ears were feeling the pressure.

It was totally neat doing it on the new ship and to me that was why it was worth it. And now that I have done it, I can relate what I saw to other ships. (on sailings of 5 days or less it, the fee is small since it is 2-3 hour tour and not 3-5 hours - also small class of ship on shorter sailings)

The Hubbie and I (late 50s) did this tour on the Fantasy and enjoyed it very much. It is a bit hard on our knees. We felt it well worth the $$. It is a bucket list thing, though. I enjoyed seeing the kitchen and bridge areas.

Love the to-die-for almond cookies that awaited us in our cabin after returning. Wish I could have bought some of those cookies somewhere on ship.

We received two oversized pic of our group with the captain. Two of the same shot. I think there must have been a mix up with the photographer as I had read we were to receive two different shots. No problem.

Once you start the tour, you cannot drop out.

You sign up for this once you are on ship.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived