New MSC ship 2012

MTL=CRUISEFAMILY

The official christening of the ship will in fact be celebrated in Marseille, France, in May 2012, so the city was well represented at the ceremony.

It has become a tradition for MSC Cruises to christen each of its new cruise ships in an important port of call, selecting a different port each time. Marseille, France’s largest port and the third largest in Europe, was an obvious choice to celebrate the new ship’s arrival. France has always been a key market for MSC Cruises, which over the years has become one of the leading companies in the French tourism and leisure industry, offering more ports of call in France than any other cruise company.

During the ceremony, the ship – previously MSC Fantastica – was renamed MSC Divina, in honour of the fleet’s godmother Sophia Loren, a family friend of MSC president Gianluigi Aponte. "One evening I was chatting to Gianluigi about wishes and desires," recounts Ms Loren, "and I mentioned my own dream of having a ship named after me. He immediately suggested ‘Divina’ in place of ‘Fantastica’, adding that a fantastic experience is fleeting, whereas a divine experience gives you memories that will last forever." And thus the new name was born.

Which will it be Divina's itinerary? Does anyone know it?

The new Fantasia class ship is also discussed here:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1289930

Will be very interesting to se Divina's itinerary.

More info here:

http://cruises.over-blog.com/article-hesitation-ofmsc-for-the-name-of-u32-60568932.html

• 1 year later...

i anm booked on her 1st cruise on 27th may wonder when the christening will happen and if we will be able to see it. the itinarary looks good with dubrovnik and ending in venice

cannot see any roll cals so i started one and cannnot believe nobody else is booked

dave

i anm booked on her 1st cruise on 27th may wonder when the christening will happen and if we will be able to see it. the itinarary looks good with dubrovnik and ending in venice

cannot see any roll cals so i started one and cannnot believe nobody else is booked

dave

When they had the Christening ceremony form the Fantasia it was shown live online, so they may do the same formthe Divina.

There are very rarely active roll calls for cruises sailing out of European ports as there is such a low percentage of passengers who are English speakers and even smaller percentage of them aware of cruise critic.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived