"Make a Wish" family needs help on picking a trip.

Alexa's Angel's

Hi All,

My daughter has Cystic Fibrosis and has been awarded a Make a Wish trip. She loves Disney and has picked a Disney Cruise. We've been to Disney World many times but never on any cruises. The summer trips were to expensive for the foundation but they said we could go anytime after Sep 3, 2005. We need help with a few questions before we make our decision.

1. How is the weather in the fall? Is it warm enough to swim?

2. Is this Hurricane season?

3. What about toddlers? We have an 18 month old and were thinking about leaving him with his grandparents because we think we'd enjoy it more.

4. What is better the Eastern or Western Cab. Cruise?

Thank You,

Alexa's Angel's

:o To answer your questions:

1. Weather is warm in the islands. I have been on a cruise in September (very hot) October (80s or so) and November (High 70's-perfect for me). It is definately warm enough to swim.

2. Yes is is hurricane season. I would normally say don't worry about it, but after last year, I would try to go after the peak hurricane season. End of November or December would be better in that respect.

3. I don't have any children, so I can't give a definate answer on that. In my opinion though, a child that young might not be able to appreciate it.

4. I personally prefer the Western Caribbean. I did not like St. Maarten. It was a little dumpy for me. St. Thomas was beautiful but not so nice either. I love Cozumel and Costa Maya. The ruins and snorkeling are great! But it really is a personal preference. I know some people that prefer the Eastern. It just depends on what you want to do!

I hope this helps!

The weather is very warm in the fall in the islands. We went in January and had days in the 80s and could swim at each port and on the ship. So you will be fine there.

Hurricane season is tricky you just never know. If you can wait more towards October you may be safer, but then again you never know. Hurricane season runs until November.

You may be wise to leave the little one. It depends on how much time you want to focus and what you want to do. If you have a balcony it may not be so bad as you can sit out there and relax, otherwise you will be in the room when he is napping and you may not find that fun, but it is completely up to you. We saw many people with toddlers on board and having a good time. There was a two year old at our table for dinner with older sisters and he enjoyed himself.

We chose the Eastern for the extra day at sea. We will try the Western next time. We had fun in both St. Maarten and St. Thomas and would go back to both again if the opportunity arises. There is a lot to do.

Good luck deciding.

Hi,

The temperatures will be warm and humid in the early fall and November is very pleasant with temperatures in the lower '80s. It is a great way to start the cold winter.

The Western Caribbean has more ports and the ports are more diverse. Definitely look at the dolphin encounters - kids RAVE about swimming with dolphins. Castaway Cay is my favorite port on Disney Cruise Line and I am thinking about ways to actually cast away on Castaway Cay!

Don't worry about hurricanes and cruise ships! Actually, a cruise ship is one of the best places to be if a hurricane is close. The cruise line simply chugs out of the way of the hurricane. They will change the itinerary to avoid the hurricane, but unlike land, the ship just simply moves out of the way of the storm.

Best Regards,

Julia

Don't sweat hurricane season. A hurricane might force you to miss a port or to see other ports but the chances of that are relatively small.

Whether to cruise with the toddler is a harder call. Just like at home, he'll make you take afternoon naps and to go to bed early so you'll miss some activities. But by leaving him home, you'll miss him.

I went to Disneyland by myself a few times. It was nice that I could do whatever I wanted but I constantly missed my sons. Frequently I'd say to myself how Daniel would like this or how I wish they could go on this ride with them or I'd see something funny but they weren't around for me to point it out. It'll be the same way for you.

It's often said that toddlers won't remember it or won't get much out of a cruise but you will remember them there and you'll get a lot out of playing with them in the pool or on the beach. A toddler might also recognize charachters in the shows and remember the music played around the ship.

Perhaps this is time that you want to spend exclusively with your daughter. The cruise will be a good time to do that without the worries of having your son's needs invervening.

Either way, enjoy your cruise.

3. What about toddlers? We have an 18 month old and were thinking about leaving him with his grandparents because we think we'd enjoy it more.

The fall is great. I went in November and LOVED IT. And last year I went in September. And YES, it was quite a hurricane season and my cruise landed right between 2 of them. If a hurricane is coming, they will compensate nicely, but I heard from the locals that if it's a bad hurricane season, the following year is not. That would mean that 2005 is supposed to be quiet. I'm scheduled to go in October. The crowds are quieter and the weather is perfect. But if had my pick... I'd go in mid November. THe parks are empty too.

I can't imagine your child NOT falling in love with this vacation. There is something for everyone. The Golden Mickey's actually brought a tear to my 35 year old eye at the end of it. Go! Enjoy! And God Bless your child. I hope it's a trip of a lifetime!

Rachel

We've done 2 cruises in early Sept, hurricane season. On one trip there was a Hurricane out there but I we didn't feel or see anything. I was told that the Captain tries to keep a land mass between the ship and the hurricane, changing directions as needed. I think the only time you'd have a problem was if there was a hurricane hitting the port you were leaving from or returning to. My advice is if possible, go in a day before the cruise to allow for any airport delays due to a hurricane. That way you could have time to make changes to your flights without running the risk of missing the cruise. Actually, that doen't just apply to hurricane season.It is always good to arrive the day before the cruise and stay nearby the port. You should have a great time. I think that 18 mths is a little young for a cruise but I have seen newborns on a cruise- so maybe I'm wrong.

Anytime in the fall is great, but if possible, I would vote for December..... the ship is decorated for the Holidays, and the characters are dressed up so nicely (ie., Santa hats, lots of red velvet) Specifically, I've been on the Disney cruise twice in the second week of December and the crowd has been minimal and the joy has been immeasurable!

I would also vote for leaving your 18 month old at home and focusing solely on your daughter and having a wonderful cruise!!

Have fun!

We went twice, once in November and once in October. We never had a problem, weather was great mid 80's to low 90's. We went on the Eastern and Western cruise so and the temp was about the same on both. Just plan to get to Orlando airport 1 day early---weather is iffy for planes and if you miss your boat ---you miss your boat. Never had rough seas but we had to miss Grand Caymen because of weather. The 18 month old would enjoy him/herself but you'd have to leave them in the nursery and pay extra for it. Also, anything on the islands would be difficult to see or do. I'd recommend leaving him/her at home if you could.

You and your daughter will love, love, love this cruise. We travel extensively and this is the best family vacation we've ever taken.

Maybe this will help.

If the person is in a wheelchair the Eastern Caribbean is a lot better than the Western when comparing from an accessibility standpoint.

Any questions, just ask I use a power chair.

Sherry

• 3 weeks later...

:) Sorry i hit the enter button any way my son is 15 and has muscular dystrophy we also went with my daughter who turned 2 on the cruise, feel free to email me with any other questions (sam809@optonline.net), we had a great time a little chilly but ok. My daughter enjoyed it, they do have the nursery Flounders you can only book 3 times but, they will call you if they have other openings, the night before. I didn't even send her all 3 times I had such a ball with her I didn't want to leave her, just the look on her face and the joy she had. The staff couldn't have been better. Make sure you tell them just about everywhere that you are from Make a Wish!!!! It makes a difference. We did the Western, key west was really cool so was cozumel, I could not take my son to Grand Caymen, because they use tendor boats to get you ashore and they have steps. Yes, it is hurricane season , I think Aug-Oct. Bring pillow cases with you, and bring them to guest services for all the cast to sign, they will return the night before you leave, they I took them home 1 for each child and framed them! Also make sure you go when there is no breaks from school, the ship is not as crazy. Also, there is a arcade on board, do not buy the cards, because of make a wish, they are already paid for, we made that mistake, you will not get them until late the first night or the second afternoon same with the computers. Some other things were included too, but because of the time of night, I am too tired to think. Like I said feel free to email me. Sam

• 2 weeks later...

Howdy,

remeber that they do offer babysitting on board in a neat nuesery. It's first come, first serve. You cann sign up one day at a time. It does cost extra but would give you a little free time if you wanted. I think it was $6 per hour, minimum of 2 hours. It is one counselor for about every 3 kids that age. They have all kinds of safe, neat toys and they do play with the kids, not just sit and watch. One of the ears at the mickey pool is dedicated to toddlers in swim diapers. They love it and the moms usually sit on the edge of the ear so they are close. All the kids get extra attention at dinner. The waiters make a fuss over them and the kids love it. Some fall asleep during the meal. but people seem to enjoy seeing all the little ones all having fun and no one cares if they make noise like a regualr restaurant. after this is disney, it's geared for families. Our 2 year old grandson even loved the musicals in the evening. He was fascinated by the bright colors and characters on stage and he bounced to the music. A great memory for us.

Have a magical cruise,

mom x4,grandma x4

Archived