Brazilian Blowout Review (long)

cruise kitty

I was just wondering why you do not like wearing your hair curly? I have curly hair.

personally I would LOVE to wear my hair curly... but I have FRIZZ... if it's humid out I have instant frizz.... with the Brazilian straightener all I do is shampoo my hair, towel dry and it stays smooth and straight .. and my hair is long, way past my shoulders.....its so easy to take care of now:D

• 3 weeks later...

I'm loving my Brazilian Keratin Treatment, the one you have to leave in for 4 days before washing. It did not dry out my hair at all, in fact, it left it "swishy". I absolutely love it, and it is so easy to style.

I have a question for those who have very curly/wavy hair...Do you still find that you have to straight iron or blow-dry some areas straight? On the back of my head, the layers of hair that is closest to my scalp seems to still have a wave, not curls. It takes seconds (vs the 15" before tx) to straighten these pieces but I was just wondering if this is "normal", and does it go away with further treatments?

My stylist said that after several more treatments, my hair condition will improve even more and it will be even easier to take care of. I was just wondering if this is your experience also?

Haven't experienced any realy humidity yet, as it's cold and dry here, but that will be the true test of this treatment. Heading to California at the end of February, so we shall see. ;)

I'm loving my Brazilian Keratin Treatment, the one you have to leave in for 4 days before washing. It did not dry out my hair at all, in fact, it left it "swishy". I absolutely love it, and it is so easy to style.

I have a question for those who have very curly/wavy hair...Do you still find that you have to straight iron or blow-dry some areas straight? On the back of my head, the layers of hair that is closest to my scalp seems to still have a wave, not curls. It takes seconds (vs the 15" before tx) to straighten these pieces but I was just wondering if this is "normal", and does it go away with further treatments?

My stylist said that after several more treatments, my hair condition will improve even more and it will be even easier to take care of. I was just wondering if this is your experience also?

Haven't experienced any realy humidity yet, as it's cold and dry here, but that will be the true test of this treatment. Heading to California at the end of February, so we shall see. ;)

mine was done in September.. it's february and it's still good to go.. occassionally I run the flat iron over the bang area as that is all new growth.... my hair is very long, below my shoulders..

• 1 month later...

Thanks for all the info in the previous posts. I've been considering getting the blowout but have hesitated because I live at the beach and was told that the salt air would neutralize the straightening. Have any of you had color and straightening?

Not sure how accurate this article is but it states that the Brazilian Blowout does in fact contain formaldehyde~ again not sure how accurate this article is but its a good read~

http://fashionista.com/2010/10/the-brazilian-blowout-allegedly-contains-a-lot-of-formaldehyde-what-does-this-mean-for-the-future-of-hair-straightening-we-asked-an-organic-chemist/

Supposedly a new formula has come out that doesn't contain formaldehyde and it's called Brazilian Blowout Zero. Don't know much about it but I did read about it online.

I got the Coppola Keratin Treatment as well back in December and it has changed my life! HA! I have naturally curly hair that frizzes sooo easily. Especially in Houston, Texas. I am scheduled to get my next one in April right before my cruise in May. The folks traveling with me are so excited that we can sit out on the balcony without me asking if my hair is frizzing:)

Thank you for the wonderful review! I've had the Brazilian Blowout done a couple of times, and I can't praise it enough. I have thick, wavy, frizzy hair that usually takes an hour to straighten. After having the BB done on my hair, it only takes a few minutes to blowdry it straight. It's absolutely worth the money - it's a lifesaver!

I'll definitely be having the BB done before my cruise next month. :)

I really want to get this done before my cruise in August, but with all the reports about formaldehyde, I'm a little scared to do it. I checked into the formaldehyde-free version and was told they didn't get good results with it, because it doesn't contain any preservatives.

I must be the only person on the board who had a Brazilian Keratin Treatment and then began losing their hair :confused::rolleyes::(

ETA: I am in the process of trying to slow the process of losing my hair and I will NOT be having this treatment done again. Ever.

• 4 weeks later...

I did a DIY keratin treatment on my hair last August and lost a bunch of hair. It wasn't that noticable on me because I have so much, but it was still kinda scary.

I did it again in November and didn't lose any the second time. Not sure what the difference was but I was pretty relieved.

I bought mine on amazon. It requires leaving in for 4 days. The Brazilian treatments that you can wash right after have the most formaldehyde.

The brand I bought smells like chocolate but also has some fumes. I think constant exposure wouldn't be a good idea, but I only do mine two or three times a year at most.

My hair is still curly afterwards (naturally very tight curls) but the treatment completely gets rid of the frizz. I still have to blow it dry straight but it stays that way in the humidity. I live in a dry climate but when I travel to a humid climate I treat my hair first and it's worth it!!

I had the Brazilian Blow out Zero done 3 weeks ago and love it. It is not supposed to have formaldehyde in it but it did have a strong smell. I love it. I also bought the Brazilian brand conditioner and serum. I only have to wash my hair 2 times per week now. I do use the flat iron because I have some weird cowlicks but only takes about 5 minutes and lasts until the next shampoo.

I also have my hair colored too and my hair is just past my shoulders.

I think I will try it again before my cruise.

:)

Nora

FYI- OSHA issued a warning about Brazilian Blowout products. They do, in fact, contain formaldehyde even though they are marketed as formaldehye free.

http://www.osha.gov/SLTC/formaldehyde/hazard_alert.html

I don't think it poses much of a risk to the customer but it can be harmful to the hairstylist over time. Also, you will want to make sure your salon has good ventilation or else it may become harmful to you to breathe it in.

I'm not advising for it or against it, just giving the information so you can make an informed decision. =)

• 2 weeks later...

Just had my second Brazilian blowout yesterday, they are offering an alternative called "zero" but I chose to stick with what has worked for me, once again, I just love it. I did wait a bit too long between my treatments, 6 months... I won't go that long again. Hair feels even silkier this time, probably because it's been so protected over the last 6 months. DH has conceded that it's worth every penny; even though he still believes the BB is like crack...Quote: "They give you a discount for the first time, & then you're hooked for life" Except in this case instead of crumbling teeth & bad skin, you get silky, shiny hair!

There's a great article about this in the April 2011 issue of Cosmopolitan Magazine, page 176. Says it's very, very dangerous and can have lifelong after affects. Read it before you do this again. Says even sitting next to another customer having it done can be dangerous!

There's a great article about this in the April 2011 issue of Cosmopolitan Magazine, page 176. Says it's very, very dangerous and can have lifelong after affects. Read it before you do this again. Says even sitting next to another customer having it done can be dangerous!

Ah yes, Cosmo, I keep it right next to my copy of the Journal of Scientific Review:D seriously, I know you're trying to be helpful, my personal feeling is that I will continue with the treatments.

Ah yes, Cosmo, I keep it right next to my copy of the Journal of Scientific Review:D seriously, I know you're trying to be helpful, my personal feeling is that I will continue with the treatments.

Everyone's mileage is going to vary on this, plain and simple. You can continue to do the treatments and no one is trying to talk you out of it.

However, what is being said is this:

People are having problems with the treatments, that is a fact. (Even when done by reputable salons.)

Formulas that are being marketed as "formaldehyde-free" do still contain formaldehyde as per the investigation conducted by Health Canada and OSHA, that is a fact.

Formaldehyde is a dangerous carcinogenic, that is a fact.

Now, after a little more investigation after I got my brazilian keratin treatment in February - and just so there is no misunderstanding about what I received.. the solution was applied to my hair at my salon (the salon I had been using for a while and has an extremely good reputation) it sat on my head (I had some complaints as there was a bit of burning to my scalp and my forehead..I can only assume that some of the solution got on those places) and hardened. After this, it was then flat ironed at some ridiculously high temperature.

I was told I could not wash my hair for at least three days but the longer I could wait the better the results would be. I purchased the keratin complex shampoo and conditioner and was on my way. The whole process took about 2.5 hours. (Before they put the stuff on they clarified my hair with a shampoo, etc). Anyway, I waited a total of 5 days to wash my hair - using dry shampoo in the mean time.

So, back to my story. I washed my hair and immediately noticed losing more than normal amounts of hair. Over the next few washings it was apparent that the amount of hair that was coming out during shampooing, conditioning, and rinsing as well as after during combing was NOT normal. I began to research it.

It was clear to me then that the keratin treatment was the cause of the problem. As I said at the beginning, everyone's mileage will vary, I lost roughly 25% of my hair, I had a beautiful shiny chocolate brown color and the new growth is a dull-lifeless color that I cannot even explain. It is several shades lighter but not gray.

Formaldehyde can cause everything that happened to my hair to happen. Which is why it is so dangerous in these products.

It is also legal in small amounts in the US however there were findings of much higher concentrations sometimes 5 and 600 times the legal amounts.

A lot of women read Cosmopolitan as well as other beauty magazines and they give good advice. It is always going to be up to each person to make their own decision. With the facts of how dangerous these products can be and have been several people will still choose to get them done. That is perfectly fine.

I will not be one of them.

I can not express how horrible it felt to look at my hands after rinsing my hair and seeing clumps of hair.

Everyone's mileage is going to vary on this, plain and simple. You can continue to do the treatments and no one is trying to talk you out of it.

However, what is being said is this:

People are having problems with the treatments, that is a fact. (Even when done by reputable salons.)

Formulas that are being marketed as "formaldehyde-free" do still contain formaldehyde as per the investigation conducted by Health Canada and OSHA, that is a fact.

Formaldehyde is a dangerous carcinogenic, that is a fact.

Now, after a little more investigation after I got my brazilian keratin treatment in February - and just so there is no misunderstanding about what I received.. the solution was applied to my hair at my salon (the salon I had been using for a while and has an extremely good reputation) it sat on my head (I had some complaints as there was a bit of burning to my scalp and my forehead..I can only assume that some of the solution got on those places) and hardened. After this, it was then flat ironed at some ridiculously high temperature.

I was told I could not wash my hair for at least three days but the longer I could wait the better the results would be. I purchased the keratin complex shampoo and conditioner and was on my way. The whole process took about 2.5 hours. (Before they put the stuff on they clarified my hair with a shampoo, etc). Anyway, I waited a total of 5 days to wash my hair - using dry shampoo in the mean time.

So, back to my story. I washed my hair and immediately noticed losing more than normal amounts of hair. Over the next few washings it was apparent that the amount of hair that was coming out during shampooing, conditioning, and rinsing as well as after during combing was NOT normal. I began to research it.

It was clear to me then that the keratin treatment was the cause of the problem. As I said at the beginning, everyone's mileage will vary, I lost roughly 25% of my hair, I had a beautiful shiny chocolate brown color and the new growth is a dull-lifeless color that I cannot even explain. It is several shades lighter but not gray.

Formaldehyde can cause everything that happened to my hair to happen. Which is why it is so dangerous in these products.

It is also legal in small amounts in the US however there were findings of much higher concentrations sometimes 5 and 600 times the legal amounts.

A lot of women read Cosmopolitan as well as other beauty magazines and they give good advice. It is always going to be up to each person to make their own decision. With the facts of how dangerous these products can be and have been several people will still choose to get them done. That is perfectly fine.

I will not be one of them.

I can not express how horrible it felt to look at my hands after rinsing my hair and seeing clumps of hair.

Sorry you had such a horrible experience with your Brazilian Keratin Treatment, I've heard of a lot of people having very bad results & hair damage with that treatment, which I why opted to not get it done. The Brazilian Blowout that I chose, actually improves & protects your hair, & you can wash it right away. I've been very happy with it. Again, I wouldn't recommend the BKT to anyone.

Sorry you had such a horrible experience with your Brazilian Keratin Treatment, I've heard of a lot of people having very bad results & hair damage with that treatment, which I why opted to not get it done. The Brazilian Blowout that I chose, actually improves & protects your hair, & you can wash it right away. I've been very happy with it. Again, I wouldn't recommend the BKT to anyone.

There are also lots of reports of people having very bad results and hair damage with the Brazilian Blowout (not just the Keratin treatments).

I was seriously considering the BB the week before the reports of excessive levels of formaldehyde in it were reported. It sounded too good to be true when they told me it was "all natural" (and supposedly had NO formaldehyde) and would "only do good things" for my hair-so I hesitated because I wanted to look into it more before undergoing it. IMHO I think it is too good to be completely true (certainly after the reports).

Of course everyone needs to make their own choices and decide their own level of comfort and risk with what they choose (after all there are concerns about many things...such as hair dyes, and I do sometimes use those :D). I think it is important that people have the truth though, and not only the "truth" as stated by the company who has a vested interest in keeping people using their products.

My concern is that I think there is a lot of misleading information with these products and I think even many hair stylists are too easily believing the information presented to them by these companies about the products -things that have been shown to be false by independent testing (such as by Health Canada http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca/ahc-asc/media/advisories-avis/_2010/2010_182-eng.php ).

Yesterday my hairstylist said that one of their customers had just gotten the BB zero and found it did not work all that well compared to the original BB (which makes sense since it was the probably the high levels of formaldehyde that was needed to make it work.

I am disappointed about the serious health concerns around any of these treatments...I so wanted it to be the miracle I was looking for...but for me, it just sounds like there is too much potential of harm to do it.

I recently had the 0 treatment and it did not take as good as the first one... but it is still much better than not having it done.... I may have to have it done more often than the 6 mos. but that remains to be seen..

Had the coppola keratin treatment done in September and my hair is just now needing a second treatment.

Prior to the treatment my hair was the epitome of rat nest, dry, frizzy and damaged. FYI I color my hair also.

It came out amazing and has really lasted.

My hair grows fast so I have to color 3-4 weeks and it comes out fine.

I think also using the keratin shampoo and conditioner consistently helps. They don't damage the hair and keep the silky feeling.

Now my hair just looks wavy but the frizz is gone thankfully.

Guestimating that alot of the original keratin treatment has been trimmed off but again it's the consistent use of the products that keeps it looking good. Honestly I'm not a high maintenance hair lady so this has been wonderful.

One thing when I was contemplating doing this the salon that does my hair warned me away from the brazillian treatments. They noted the formaldehyde and other problems with it.

Supposedly a new formula has come out that doesn't contain formaldehyde and it's called Brazilian Blowout Zero. Don't know much about it but I did read about it online.

I have had the Keratin treatment twice and I LOVE it. For the person who asked about salt air and color - I live in Florida, though not at the beach, but I spent a few weeks at the beach in New England last summer and didn't see any difference. I also only color my roots - well I have my stylist do it - so the color only goes on new growth.

I'm having it done for the third time in June but I'm going to a different stylist who says she has the formula without formaldehyde.

i'm soppose to be going for the Brazilian Keratin treatment in two weeks...

My question is to those that have these treatments, do u go in the oceann water? and if so, do u put on a conditioner b4 going in the water to protect your hair?

Archived