Ginger Pills - any info?

Berk987

I have decided not to take the patch this cruise (12/5/10) on New Ams. I get semi-nauseous but not major.

The health food stores sell ginger pills. 100 pills for $6.29. 550MG. Bottle says one a day.

Is that sufficient? Should I take more than 1 pill per day?

Should I start a few days prior and continue through the cruise daily and

a few days after?

Is there a taste? After taste? Side effects?

Thanks.

I have decided not to take the patch this cruise (12/5/10) on New Ams. I get semi-nauseous but not major.

The health food stores sell ginger pills. 100 pills for $6.29. 550MG. Bottle says one a day.

a few days after?

Thanks.

I could never find any actual recommended amount of ginger to take for seasickness, just the general recommendation to take ginger but nothing about type or amount.

I found ginger capsules, which is just dried powdered ginger, to be too strong for my stomach so your best bet is to try some first before you leave to see how your body takes it. This is the same ground ginger you buy as a baking supply, but put into capsules so you can swallow it without gagging on it if you tried to just eat it by the 1/8 spoon full out of the jar.

I personally eat the crystallized candied ginger I can get at our local "organic" market that comes in nice bite size chunks and I find it very tasty and have never had a problem eating or digesting it. Others mention ginger candy that is often made in Indonesia and can be found in asian food markets, but it is very sticky and chewy and again I have no idea about its actual ginger potency. I kind of like it though and always bring it along to my ginger binges while cruising.

Certainly the candied ginger in syrup that the YumYum man offers when you exit the main dining room in the evening is a great way also, if you like the taste of ginger in this form. Their offering I think is particularly good.

Taking a really good brand of ginger beer along (not ginger ale as it seems too weak) is one more way of keeping a level of ginger in you. Australian "Bundaberg" is a superb brand for taste and potency but hard to find. I always take a few bottles along and keep them in the room fridge because often they do not have a good ginger soda on board. Schwepes makes a good ginger beer, but that is not readily available but wish HAL would stock it. Have to leave that suggestion on the form at the end of the cruise next time.

My own seasickness formula now is preventive Bonine, starting the night before we leave since it has to be in your system before you even know you might need it and then daily munching on various forms of ginger and always a requisite stop at the Yum Yum man for a sticky, dripping bit more on a toothpick at the end of the evening meal as we stroll on over to the show.

I have not yet tried the sea-sick wrist bands, but they are certainly worth the effort for their ease and lack of side effects. Best wishes. I know the Bonine/ginger combo worked for me because while everyone was bailing out on our last Alaska Inside Passage trip last June, we never missed a meal or a moment. And I had sadly learned on a prior cruise that I was not immune to this mal de mer after all, once I got into rough waters.

What about Dramamine?

Supposedly Bonine as compared to Dramamine leaves one less drowsy, and is also available for free at the front desk and ship dispensary. I suppose this is the pill of choice for the staff and crew as well.

Some of us take the Bonine at night just to counteract any drowsiness it can create - but be sure to read the label on any of these OTC products to see if they are right for you. There are subtle differences in mechanism between the various OTC motion sickness tablets. Some are more for nausea and other more for inner ear effects.

What about Dramamine?

Bonine is better than Dramamine as it is less likely to make you drowsy, and you can drink with it. :D

There are many, many approaches to dealing with seasickness. Dramamine/Bonine is one of them. Ginger is another, so are SeaBands, and the patch. They vary in how strong they are, and how effective each is for any given person.

I take a box of Traditional Medicinals Organic Ginger Tea with me on every cruise:

http://www.traditionalmedicinals.com/Ginger

It's very soothing to the stomach and quite tasty - Needs no sugar, just let the teabag steep in hot water and enjoy.

This is typically available at your local Whole Foods.

I also find that - amazingly enough - the Grolsch Beer served onboard is also rather good for an unsettled tummy.

Then of course the candied ginger is a "must" after a heavy dinner - it keeps your breath nice and fresh too!

As far as food selections, I stick w/ the fried rice served in the Lido for lunch if I'm feeling a bit poorly - sliced bananas, steamed prunes and yogurt in the morning seem to keep things in check - and sticking to lighter dinners such as the fish dishes, brothy soups and avoiding Ceasar Salads & other heavy salad dressings helps too.

My "remedy" has been a 3 pronged approach.....

1. bonnine to get started as soon as I board and then on "bumpy" nights as I feel they may be needed (they still make me sleepy--so I prefer nights)
  2. sea bands at all times
  3. ginger capsules a couple times during the day

I am not sure which of these are "working", but as long as I do all 3, I am good to go!! My past 2 cruises have been to Hawaii and we had pretty rough seas and I never got sick.....at least on the ship....I ended up getting sick when I snorkled and "bobbed" on the water with a floatie!! geesh!! :D Next time, I am taking bonnine for those excursions too!! ;) I can't say "how much" ginger to take either....I just try to take 1 capsule at 3 meals a day....just easier to remember....and seems to be doing the job :D But as mentioned before, everyone is different...

While we've used candied ginger for seasickness, we've found there is one thing better: eating apples. At the first sign of apprehension or queasiness, eat an apple (make sure your steward gives you a good supply). We cruised over 20,000 miles in a small (34') sailboat in some very rough water over 30 years and the apples haven't failed us once!

Thanks for the info. Will try Bonine + ginger pills. Where can I get the sea bands? Doesn't hurt to get 3 going in my system. Don't want to deal with the side effects of the patch.

Don't think I will do the ginger candy or tea. I actually don't like ginger and I'm Asian. We use sliced ginger in stir fry food, for fish etc but I never liked it, as a kid or even now. ICK. so the pill will hopefully have no taste.

Will scout out prices at Walgreen and Target and if the same 550 mg and 100 pills for less than the price at the health food store then I'll go there.

Thanks.

The queasiness we feel when getting seasick is caused by an inner ear situation. Not just a tummy problem. Using Bonine, Dramamine or the Patch prevents the seasickness with the release of an antihistamine which keeps our inner ear `in balance`. I know that ginger products do soothe the queasy stomach but they don`t attack the source of the queasiness IMO. We use Bonine (Walmart-14 tablets-$5.00) and it has worked for us.

If you can find them, take along some Newman's Own Ginger Mints. This is Paul Newman's company and I lived on these things during chemo. They are great at settling a quesy stomach. They won't prevent motion sickness but will make you feel better if you start feeling a bit off and taste good (if you like the taste of ginger).

Here's a link to the website so you know what the packaging looks like. I have found them at speciality grocery stores. http://www.newmansownorganics.com/food_mints.html

While we've used candied ginger for seasickness, we've found there is one thing better: eating apples. At the first sign of apprehension or queasiness, eat an apple (make sure your steward gives you a good supply). We cruised over 20,000 miles in a small (34') sailboat in some very rough water over 30 years and the apples haven't failed us once!

HAL room service has a "High Seas" menu item for times like that and it does include green apples, and a few other things known to be good comfort food for such times. Got to add that to my own prevention list.

If you can find them, take along some Newman's Own Ginger Mints. This is Paul Newman's company and I lived on these things during chemo. They are great at settling a quesy stomach. They won't prevent motion sickness but will make you feel better if you start feeling a bit off and taste good (if you like the taste of ginger).

Here's a link to the website so you know what the packaging looks like. I have found them at speciality grocery stores. http://www.newmansownorganics.com/food_mints.html

Thanks the boxes are very cool looking.

a few days after?

Thanks.

I used to take dramamine and it helped some, but not really on rough seas. I now take nothing but bonine and it works great!! Never seasick anymore.

My "remedy" has been a 3 pronged approach.....

1. bonnine to get started as soon as I board and then on "bumpy" nights as I feel they may be needed (they still make me sleepy--so I prefer nights)
  2. sea bands at all times
  3. ginger capsules a couple times during the day

I am not sure which of these are "working", but as long as I do all 3, I am good to go!! My past 2 cruises have been to Hawaii and we had pretty rough seas and I never got sick.....at least on the ship....I ended up getting sick when I snorkled and "bobbed" on the water with a floatie!! geesh!! :D Next time, I am taking bonnine for those excursions too!! ;) I can't say "how much" ginger to take either....I just try to take 1 capsule at 3 meals a day....just easier to remember....and seems to be doing the job :D But as mentioned before, everyone is different...

With the exception of the bonine, I did the two fold measure. I had the wrist bands all the time and took the ginger tablets every am It worked great when we were on our western carribean cruise in 08. It was very rough, they even had the barf bags by all the elevators, but I felt nothing.

I take a box of Traditional Medicinals Organic Ginger Tea with me on every cruise:

http://www.traditionalmedicinals.com/Ginger

It's very soothing to the stomach and quite tasty - Needs no sugar, just let the teabag steep in hot water and enjoy.

This is typically available at your local Whole Foods.

I also find that - amazingly enough - the Grolsch Beer served onboard is also rather good for an unsettled tummy.

Then of course the candied ginger is a "must" after a heavy dinner - it keeps your breath nice and fresh too!

As far as food selections, I stick w/ the fried rice served in the Lido for lunch if I'm feeling a bit poorly - sliced bananas, steamed prunes and yogurt in the morning seem to keep things in check - and sticking to lighter dinners such as the fish dishes, brothy soups and avoiding Ceasar Salads & other heavy salad dressings helps too.

Brian,

I'm with you...I always pack a box of the Traditional Medicinals Ginger Tea, too. And, ginger capsules. One per day seems to keep things in check. I've never had a problem with seasickness, but I don't want to test it either...so I do it preventively. Applesauce is another good thing to eat with an upset tummy. At home, I always keep Trader Joe's "Ginger Beer" on hand. Lots of ginger in it and it does the trick when we're feeling poorly.

I've been having stomach issues lately, and have started doing the probiotics thing...which seems to have helped a lot.

I've tried the drug products but they made me too drowsy and out of it. I then tried the powdered ginger capsules (about 3 per day around meal time) but worried about my stomach. Now I use Ginger Trips and they've worked great. Here is a link.

http://www.amazon.com/Solaray-Ginger-Trips-Chewable-tablet/dp/B000I4C3A8

I take them as needed. Myth Busters tested ginger and I believe pronounced it the most effective motion sickness product (hard to remember the show it was so long ago but I know the tester found it very effective).

...I take them as needed. Myth Busters tested ginger and I believe pronounced it the most effective motion sickness product (hard to remember the show it was so long ago but I know the tester found it very effective).

Pub Med has a list of studies and articles about ginger and nausea and use for travel sicknesses. Here is one of them: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18537470

I use Bonine and Ginger Pills. I have carried SeaBands but never needed them. I start the Ginger pills (2x day) three or four days ahead of Cruise Day and take the 1 per day Bonine in the morning on most days. Took it later in the day when we were off the ship suring the day.

Loaned the sea bands to a friend who was havng difficulty during rough seas and she was feeling well within an hour. They are available at most drug stores, usually with the Bonine. Possibly with pre natal stuff as they are used for morning sickness as well.

Best advice, be proactively preventative. Start before you get near the ship and stay with it even if you feel great.

My husband swears by his ginger pills, but be aware that it does act as a blood thinner, according to some studies. It may react with some prescription medications as well, so discuss this with your doctor or pharmacist if necessary.

Before a 2-week Alaska sailing, DH was nervous about the Gulf of Alaska (which did live up to its reputation). He purchased the 'watch' (which doesn't even tell time) that gives a slight electrical pulse to the pressure point on the wrist. It worked quite well. He was able to stand by the lido pool while the water was sloshing out without feeling a bit queasy.

On our most recent cruise, he forgot the watch. As we were driving to Fort Lauderdale, we remembered it about 200 miles from home. It was a last minute cruise, and our pack plan wasn't as effective. He tried acupuncture for the first time (and he was doubtful), and he said he had never felt better during a sailing.

You can get Meclizine (Bonine is just another name for Meclizine) at the front desk if you get seasick.

A friend of mine swears by Meclizine. She use to get seasick until she started using it.

Adding the precaution Bonine apparently needs to already be in your system before you need it to work its best. But how does anyone know this ahead of time? No one knows which is why some just start taking it preventively the night before departure ... whether it gets needed or not.

Not a great choice for those who don't like to take any "medicine" one does not need so this is always a tough call. But reports are by the time you need it, it is too late for it do any good. And when it is too late, it is toooooo late which is why those of us who found out the hard way we do not have ready sea legs have opted to go the preventive route even though we may actually have day after day of smooth, smooth sailing.

You never can know when those rough patches might suddenly appear .... or leave. So in this case, the ounce of prevention is worth the pound of cure (if there even is one besides a doctors visit to your cabin for some heavy duty stuff.)

Archived