Acapulca Journal Entry

celem

For what it is worth, below is my journal entry for Acapulco, Mexico while on a Panama Canal full transit cruise on the Celebrity Constellation:

2010-01-13 - Acapulco.

We ordered a full breakfast in our cabin but it wasn't fully successful as they forgot syrup for my wife's French toast and salt for my eggs. This experience made us reluctant to order a full meal from room service again. We booked a ship tour here just to make it easier. We heard enough negative tales of Acapulco that it just seemed prudent. In reality, the warnings of foreboding concerning Acapulco were wrong. We found Acapulco no more unsafe than any other large city and it was quite clean and tidy in all of the public areas that we visited.

Our tour: We enjoyed the tour (AC6-Historical, Traditional), which lasted from 9:30am until about 2pm. First we went to see the cliff divers. Eight diver jumped after about 30 minutes of preparation. It was quite impressive. Next we went to the Flamingo Hotel and enjoyed a beer on its patio, taking in a fantastic vista. This hotel was frequented by the Hollywood set, i.e. John Wayne and Jonny Weismuller (Tarzen). Jonny Weismuller spent his last years living there and died there and is buried in Acapulco. Next rode across the bay, high atop a mountain to visit a church and massive cross, erected by a mother in memory of her two sons that were killed in a plane crash. Of course the view was expansive. Next we went to the obligatory gold and silver shop for margaritas and beer while window shopping, I didn't see anyone actually make a purchase. Everything seemed to be priced at twice what it should have been. Fortunately, the tour was not over and we proceeded to the fort situated above the cruise port. The air conditioned museum inside is very well done, comparable to one in the USA, and most exhibits included English explanations. Lastly, we returned to the ship.

Inside the cruise terminal are shops for that last minute shopping frenzy. The bar in the middle was getting a crazy amount of business from the ship's passengers because their prices were much lower that the ship that they were about to board - $2.50 for a beer and $4 for two shots of tequila. There is an Internet café and long distance telephone booths on the upper floor.

We went for a swim in both the outdoor pool, the lassotherapy pool and hot tub before returning to the room to clean up for dinner.

We skipped the show tonight and returned to our cabin to relax.

The attached photo (Acapulco2) shows our ship docked nect to the fort, as seen from the fort.

Acapulco1.jpg.28a7325219fc3cfd5e556dfa6667af06.jpg

Acapulco2.jpg.f17893b154738bb35f78f23f702d6e05.jpg

Thanks for your report it is very helpful. We are going on the Azamara trip through the canal in January and have booked this shore excursion - for the same reason as you a bit of peace of mind Sounds like we will get a good snapshot of the area on that trip

We heard enough negative tales of Acapulco that it just seemed prudent. In reality, the warnings of foreboding concerning Acapulco were wrong. We found Acapulco no more unsafe than any other large city and it was quite clean and tidy in all of the public areas that we visited.

We just returned from Acapulco on a Carnival Spirit stop and totally agree with you. We took a tour (sounds similar to yours) from Rosie's Tours and it was fantastic. We felt safer in Acapulco than we do in many large US cities. But I'm sure glad we weren't driving - the traffic in that town is crazy.

Hello again posted a question yesterday and can not seem to find it or any type of answer to my question.

We will be arriving in Acapulca in April with my grandson Sebastian I have read all about everything there is to do and see and I have seen the name of a man the same as my grandson Sebastian Hernandes. Has anyone ever travelled with him any input would be great and sorry for posting the same question but once again Iam new to all of this great help.

Thanks

fths

Hi fths!

My husband and I sailed on the Coral Princess 10/16/10 and used Sebastian Hernandez for a tour before embarkation. What a great tour of Acapulco. Sebastian knows the city and gave us our money's worth. He picked us up at our hotel (and our luggage). Here was our tour itinerary:

The Chapel of Peace...

This is a contemporary chapel located inside the exclusive and gated community of Las Brisas and it rises over 1847-feet above sea level providing ONE OF THE MOST SPECTACULARS WORLD BAY VIEWS FAMOUS. This ecumenical chapel it was open to public in 1971 and sent to built for the french family Trouyet, it was designed by the architect Gabriel Chavez de la Mora, it has become one of the symbols of modern Acapulco and characterized by an enormous cross that can be seen from all over Acapulco, the impressive cross that stands over 138-feet tall, and can be seen from many areas of the city. Ideal for a good day's photography of the building and for to relax, recreate and revitalize your soul enjoying one of world most famous bay views natural scenery.

by torc

The Cliff Divers Show...

Acapulco is famous for this show; many people know the city for its cliff divers. Since the mid-40’s this has been an Acapulco Trademark. The show starts with the divers’ free-climbing the natural clefts in the cliff walls to reach the highest point. From here they jump, never forgetting to cross themselves first and say a little prayer. This show ends with a majestic dive at night, lit hes the only one at 10:30 P.M.

The Diego Rivera Wall Mural Mosaic...

This mural is on the facade of one of the houses that is considered to be a treasure of Mexican contemporary history. The mural was created for Mrs. Dolores Olmedo in 1956. Made with collared mosaics, volcanic stones and seashells. Regarded as one of the most important cultural works of art in Acapulco, the mural was one of the last works that the artist created before his death. In it are featured the prehispanic versions of Aztec God (Quetzalcóatl) "Feathered Snake" and the Mayan God (Kukul- Kan) "Feathered serpent".

The Flamingos Hotel...

A private Hollywood gang hideaway.(back to the 40´s) They entertained celebrities from Hollywood and around the world for over 40 years .Ownered this hotel by John Wayne and Johnny Weissmuller (Tarzan) like a bussiness partners. They were living here and they recieved people like Cary Grant, Fred Mc Murray, Tyron Power, Merle Oberon, Red Skelton, Rex Allen, Errol Flynn, Betty Davis and more...

Sebastian also took us to a wonderful jewelry store where we were able to purchase jewelry but there was NO PRESSURE to buy. After our tour, we were all hungry and we asked him to take us to a place "he" liked to eat. It was a great place! Afterward, Sebastian took us to the port. You can email Sebastian at: eskp_rsh@hotmail.com Or you can google: Sebastian Hernandez Acapulco.

Hope this helps you!

Archived