Long Beach Airport vs. LAX?

I object 2

Prices from LAX to NY or Long Beach to NY were identical. I asked a CA cousin which airport to consider, she suggested LAX. She felt you could be delayed from Long Beach. I regret listening to her. I talked with people who used Long Beach and felt it was smooth going. Next time....

The only problem with LGB is that if there is a mechanical problem, there probably isn't a plane to substitute with. Also, if the flight is almost empty, it could be cancelled and you will be sent to a later flight at LAX or SNA.

Sorry, but both comments are generally untrue.

Aircraft are 50-150 million dollar assets. Airlines don't leave "spare airplanes" sitting around in case others aircraft have mechanical problems. Way back in the 60's it may have been true, but definitely not anymore.

Also, as discussed in a recent thread, airlines don't cancel flights at the last minute due to light loads. Planes and crew are needed "downline" and when they get out-of-position it causes major operational disruptions.

Sorry--but both my husband and I have had flights to/from Long Beach canceled and we were sent to LAX for the outbound and bussed to Long Beach when it was a return flight.

I didn't mean that there were spare planes sitting around, but the airlines can change out equipment while waiting for an aircraft to be repaired--but that only works if the airline has lots of aircraft flying in and out, which is not the case at LGB. I have had that happen recently with SW and American.

Does that mean we never fly in/out of LGB which is less than 5 miles from our home? No--but we have had issues that probably wouldn't be encountered at LAX.

I live near San Pedro and prefer to fly out of LBG than LAX if the prices are about the same. Travel time to both is about the same if there is no traffic. LAX parking is a mess, but even if you are getting dropped off, there is a line.

I am assuming most ships debark on a weekend day? If it is a weekday, definitely go to LBG b/c northbound traffic on the 405 is a nightmare.

Also, someone already mentioned that there are no jetways and you need to go up stairs or ramps to the plane. It's no fun either when it rains as it's all outside.

• 4 weeks later...

I took JetBlue home from my Paradise cruise yesterday. On the Paradise, in Long Beach, they let people start walking off at 7:30 am. In plenty of time for my 10:14 flight home. Security there ranges from 0 to 5 minutes. And there is the cutest coffee shop upstairs in the art deco terminal, if you have time to spare.

They have ramps from the tarmac up to the plane, not stairs. So you can roll carryons up to the plane. (But yes, if it rains you will get wet.)

I took JetBlue home from my Paradise cruise yesterday. On the Paradise, in Long Beach, they let people start walking off at 7:30 am. In plenty of time for my 10:14 flight home. Security there ranges from 0 to 5 minutes. And there is the cutest coffee shop upstairs in the art deco terminal, if you have time to spare.

They have ramps from the tarmac up to the plane, not stairs. So you can roll carryons up to the plane. (But yes, if it rains you will get wet.)

A couple of things--there used to be umbrellas for you to walk to the plane beside the door when necessary--also--I would think within the past 6 months or so they've started using the ramps--much easier to get my carry-on either up or down the stairs--we love using the airport if we can go somewhere with Jet Blue--parking just across the street--sure beats LAX if you can get to where you want from Long Beach--

Nancy:D

Archived