Long Beach Airport vs. LAX?

I object 2

HELP! Need advice on which airport would be closer to the World Cruise Terminal in San Pedro and have better traffic flow/drive time. We'll be sailing on the Sapphire. Inquiring minds want to know. ;)
There are pluses and minus' to both. LAX is further away but the flight options and often lower fares are a plus. LGB is closer but there are fewer flight options and often, you'll pay more for your flights. The latter depends on where you're flying from.

There are shuttles (Prime Time Shuttle or Super Shuttle) from LAX to the pier for less than $20/pp. Not sure of the cost to go from LGB to the pier but perhaps half that. When comparing both, take into account transportation costs as well as airfare and flight options.

Thanks for the quick response, Pam.

Here's our options: one flight leaves LGB at 11:00 a.m. (we'll carry off our own luggage) and use a car service. The other option is to fly out of LAX at 12:15 p.m. Catching a flight after 1:00 p.m. results in 3+ hour layover in Denver, plus we'd end up arriving at our final airport destination at 11:00 p.m. Sure makes for a long day! :( Flights from LGB and LAX are approximately $50 pp difference. I'm hoping LGB would be less stressful airport and the lines at check-in and security much shorter. (Am I dreaming?) ha

Thanks for the quick response, Pam.

Here's our options: one flight leaves LGB at 11:00 a.m. (we'll carry off our own luggage) and use a car service. The other option is to fly out of LAX at 12:15 p.m. Catching a flight after 1:00 p.m. results in 3+ hour layover in Denver, plus we'd end up arriving at our final airport destination at 11:00 p.m. Sure makes for a long day! :( Flights from LGB and LAX are approximately $50 pp difference. I'm hoping LGB would be less stressful airport and the lines at check-in and security much shorter. (Am I dreaming?) ha

Both are makeable flights without stress. You don't need to pay for a car service to LGB, both Prime Time and Super Shuttle also go there. LGB is a VERY small airport. Tiny. One building. A very small building. Check-in and security will be a lot shorter.

Thanks for asking these questions. We are flying out of LAX on Dec 22. Do we need to reserve one of the shuttles before we leave on our Hawaiian cruise? We were "convinced" to take a Princess bus to downtown Barcelona in May when a taxi would have been cheaper and easier. Karen

Whenever I have a choice of LAX or LGB, I would always fly out of LGB. The last time I flew to Seattle, I got there more than an hour in advance of the morning flight and it took all of 5 minutes to check in then go through security.

Either airport is doable, LGB is a whole lot more pleasant unless you like crowds.

Thanks for asking these questions. We are flying out of LAX on Dec 22. Do we need to reserve one of the shuttles before we leave on our Hawaiian cruise? We were "convinced" to take a Princess bus to downtown Barcelona in May when a taxi would have been cheaper and easier. Karen

There should be plenty of shuttles when you get off the ship. But you can pre-reserve with Super shuttle or one of the other shuttles. Hopefully your flight will be after 1pm (or at least noon, which could be pushing things given that Dec. 22 will be during a busy travel time at LAX).

I travel to southern California frequently and really like LGB. It is an old school, small airport. I am in a city with nonstop service on JetBlue which is nice.

One thing to keep in mind is that you jave to use manual ramps or stairs. They do not have the ramp from inside the terminal to the plane. So if you have any trouble with stairs it may be an issue

All in all, traveling through LGB is much more relaxing and a quicker experience than LAX.

We could have flown cheaper if we flew the red eye back to FLL from Long Beach. It is hard to pass the time when you are ready to get home! Pam, I appreciate all your Princess input, thank you. Karen
You're welcome. :) You've gotten good advice from everyone on this thread. It's great when so many chime in.

We recently flew out of LGB. The cab picked us up at 915, drove the 5 miles to the airport, and we were at the gate after checking in our luggage, before 945!

If the schedule and price fits your needs, go to LGB.

Patricia: where did your ship dock? San Pedro or the Long Beach? 1/2 hour from cruise terminal to airport gate at LGB would be a dream come true for us. I'd love to book the 10:00 a.m. flight out of LGB if we could meet that deadline. We'd avoid 3+ hours between connecting flights.

Patricia: was you ship docked in San Pedro or the Long Beach terminal? LGB has a 10:00 a.m. flight and if we could meet that deadline, we'd avoid 3+ hours between connecting flights.
You shouldn't have any problem making a 10am flight out of LGB. Not only is it closer than LAX but check-in and security is faster. LAX strongly suggests a 2-hour check-in time for domestic flights, 3 hours for international. Not true in LGB. It'll take you just a few minutes to check in. You'll be fine even if you leave the ship by 8:30am.

I've gotten to LAX for a Southwest flight about 15 min. early and made the plane. I do this regularly when I go up to SFO or OAK because I'm lazy and want to sleep. There has only been one time that I missed my flight, and that was because security took longer than I expected. As long as you get to LAX for a domestic flight with an hour ahead, you should be fine.

You shouldn't have any problem making a 10am flight out of LGB. Not only is it closer than LAX but check-in and security is faster. LAX strongly suggests a 2-hour check-in time for domestic flights, 3 hours for international. Not true in LGB. It'll take you just a few minutes to check in. You'll be fine even if you leave the ship by 8:30am.

Thanks, Pam. Silly me....I forgot about Customs. We're doing a Hawaii RT, so I'll need to figure the time it takes to go through Customs to the mix. Are they pretty organized and able to move people through quickly?

Thanks, Pam. Silly me....I forgot about Customs. We're doing a Hawaii RT, so I'll need to figure the time it takes to go through Customs to the mix. Are they pretty organized and able to move people through quickly?

Where are you flying to that you need to go through Customs? Customs and security are two very different things.

What countries do you go to outside of the US ???

Nancy:D

What countries do you go to outside of the US ???

Nancy:D

I think the OP is talking about the cruise passengers going through customs on disembarkation. Sapphire makes a port call in Ensenada the day before returning to San Pedro.

I think the OP is talking about the cruise passengers going through customs on disembarkation. Sapphire makes a port call in Ensenada the day before returning to San Pedro.
It's very perfunctory when you arrive back in San Pedro. You go through Immigration, pick up your luggage if you aren't doing self-disembarkation, and hand the Customs agent your form as you walk out. Pretty straightforward.

Prices from LAX to NY or Long Beach to NY were identical. I asked a CA cousin which airport to consider, she suggested LAX. She felt you could be delayed from Long Beach. I regret listening to her. I talked with people who used Long Beach and felt it was smooth going. Next time....

Archived