planning stage itinerary check

dolfndreams

Thanks for all the info everyone, still early enough to change things around so I wanted to post and see if this looks good. I know many people recommend DIY but since I'm travelling solo I can't even begin to match the price of the HA cruisetour #20 and it doesn't feel too rushed. OK, so far:

Aug 20-22 Fairbanks: Moose in the Garden B&B/Hertz rental car

Options: eco segway, museum of the north riverboat tour, gold panning (check on Crane festival at Creamers field which is 20-22 this year.

Land tour #20

Aug 22-rental car return/HA rep to hotel Fairbanks

Aug 23: Denali - tx via McKinley explorer train

2:30 McKinley Glacier quest by airplane (? 6p rafting)

Aug 24: Denali - Tundra wilderness tour (included)

Aug 25: Denali (Huskey homestead or just hiking) 12n leave McKinley explorer to Anchorage

Aug 26: Anchorage: morning exploration: Alaska heritage center/Segway?

then tx via motorcoach to Aleyska: Portage glacier cruise (included)

Aug 27: Aleyska: 09:30 Prince William Sound Glacier cruise

Aug 28: Aleyska to Seward: Upgraded to Kenai ford cruise Board ship 8p

Ship:

Aug 29: College Fjord cruise day

Aug 30: Glacier bay cruise day

Aug 31: Haines/Skagway: 0645 fast ferry to Skagway: Chilkoo charter plan is Lake Bennet but down for back up to Carcross if arrive to late

Sept 1: Junea: Alaska's whales & rain forest trails (did photo safari with this company last trip a few years ago and thoroughly enjoyed)

Sept 2: Ketchikan: 12-4p Island Wings Traitors cove bear watch

Sept 3: Inside passage

Sept 4: Vancouver end of cruise.

Expensive but I get alot of touring/cruising. Any suggestions appreciated. I did start with looking at driving but even with 40% discount for Hertz with family plan car itself is almost $800 and over $900 with LDW. I used my cruise credit so am staying with HA and looking at just cruise (at 200%) they give a rate of 175% app. for solo traveller which makes the land portion $1500

Thanks again for all of you taking the time to post your reviews and ideas.

Nan

Thanks for all the info everyone, still early enough to change things around so I wanted to post and see if this looks good. I know many people recommend DIY but since I'm travelling solo I can't even begin to match the price of the HA cruisetour #20 and it doesn't feel too rushed. OK, so far:

Aug 20-22 Fairbanks: Moose in the Garden B&B/Hertz rental car

Options: eco segway, museum of the north riverboat tour, gold panning (check on Crane festival at Creamers field which is 20-22 this year.

Land tour #20

Aug 22-rental car return/HA rep to hotel Fairbanks

Aug 23: Denali - tx via McKinley explorer train

2:30 McKinley Glacier quest by airplane (? 6p rafting)

Aug 24: Denali - Tundra wilderness tour (included)

Aug 25: Denali (Huskey homestead or just hiking) 12n leave McKinley explorer to Anchorage

Aug 26: Anchorage: morning exploration: Alaska heritage center/Segway?

then tx via motorcoach to Aleyska: Portage glacier cruise (included)

Aug 27: Aleyska: 09:30 Prince William Sound Glacier cruise

Aug 28: Aleyska to Seward: Upgraded to Kenai ford cruise Board ship 8p

Ship:

Aug 29: College Fjord cruise day

Aug 30: Glacier bay cruise day

Aug 31: Haines/Skagway: 0645 fast ferry to Skagway: Chilkoo charter plan is Lake Bennet but down for back up to Carcross if arrive to late

Sept 1: Junea: Alaska's whales & rain forest trails (did photo safari with this company last trip a few years ago and thoroughly enjoyed)

Sept 2: Ketchikan: 12-4p Island Wings Traitors cove bear watch

Sept 3: Inside passage

Sept 4: Vancouver end of cruise.

Expensive but I get alot of touring/cruising. Any suggestions appreciated. I did start with looking at driving but even with 40% discount for Hertz with family plan car itself is almost $800 and over $900 with LDW. I used my cruise credit so am staying with HA and looking at just cruise (at 200%) they give a rate of 175% app. for solo traveller which makes the land portion $1500

Thanks again for all of you taking the time to post your reviews and ideas.

Nan

I question your car rental rates??? There are significantly cheaper options.

How are you getting from Alyeska to Seward?? And you were able to verify, your option to include a Kenai fjords boat tour, which leaves at 11:30pm??

You are also able to verify the availability of the Haines/Skagway ferry?? Many times, this early run is ship contracted, or the ship doesn't clear in time. Chilkoot, does recommend this?? An option I have done is to just fly between the two. Easy and fast.

I question your car rental rates??? There are significantly cheaper options.

How are you getting from Alyeska to Seward?? And you were able to verify, your option to include a Kenai fjords boat tour, which leaves at 11:30pm??

You are also able to verify the availability of the Haines/Skagway ferry?? Many times, this early run is ship contracted, or the ship doesn't clear in time. Chilkoot, does recommend this?? An option I have done is to just fly between the two. Easy and fast.

I did use carrental.com but nothing came in below the quote with Hertz. and actually I'm not crazy about having to be the driver so I'm ok with staying with a structured tour, but will keep checking but the price would have to be significantly better. I'll keep checking into rates in hotels/B&B etc.

The cruisetour is getting us to Seward I assume by motorcoach, there was a upgrade option on this particular tour for Kenai fjords so they take care of logistics and it is the 6hr tour and while a bit more not enough to worry about. I am going direct with venders when I can.

Actually I was lucky enough to have the ferry respond already and they sent me a confirmation, I had read the cruiseline books it up so called early. Actually was surprised to hear back but that at least is taken care of. I would be interested to know who to call about a flight though, do they start at 6a?

Chilkoot actually did put me on the Lake Bennet tour, I gave them my timing and they sent an email stating they will hold a spot on the 7.5 hr tour if I can't get there in time for Lake Bennet but to stay with it for now. They made the decision for me since I had actually figured I couldn't get there early enough and requested the Carcross tour, but so far he said to stay with it.

Thanks.

Nan

Archived