Lindblad South Georgia & Falklands Oct 2010

I traveled with Lindblad to South Georgia and the Falklands for 3 weeks from October 19. Whilst I haven't written a review, I did blog on my website as we went along. It is completely activity oriented, ie I don't review the food, cabins, ship etc, as for me they are just the transportation and sustenance that get me to where I want to go :D

I truly enjoyed your blog on recent trip - photos are great - brought back wonderful memories - we may have to get back to South Georgia again. Tell me, has the Upland Goose in Port Stanley been converted to condos yet? We disembarked the NG Explorer in Lisbon on 10/6 before it started the crossing (no pax) to begin your voyage. We were tempted to stowaway!

I truly enjoyed your blog on recent trip - photos are great - brought back wonderful memories - we may have to get back to South Georgia again. Tell me, has the Upland Goose in Port Stanley been converted to condos yet? We disembarked the NG Explorer in Lisbon on 10/6 before it started the crossing (no pax) to begin your voyage. We were tempted to stowaway!

Hi there,

Yes, the Upland Goose is no more. The workmen are still finishing a couple of them, one had a sold sign and another was still up for sale. It has been nearly two years since I was last in Stanley - the hotel was closed then, so it has taken quite a while to refit the building.

Cheers

I enjoyed reading and looking at the pictures on your blog. I will be on the Nov. 27 trip to Antarctica.

I did have one question. In your blog you mentioned the weighing of hand luggage in Ushuaia "8 kg max for the larger one". Does this mean that you can have two? One 8 kg and then a smaller size one? That has got me the most worried about the charter flight.

Julie

I enjoyed reading and looking at the pictures on your blog. I will be on the Nov. 27 trip to Antarctica.

I did have one question. In your blog you mentioned the weighing of hand luggage in Ushuaia "8 kg max for the larger one". Does this mean that you can have two? One 8 kg and then a smaller size one? That has got me the most worried about the charter flight.

Julie

You can have one 'personal' bag, such as a handbag, and one 'carry-on' item, such as a backpack, roller bag etc. They will weigh the backpack/roller bag. There were a lot of photo buffs on this expedition who were over the 8kg.17-18lb limit, including me. The solution was to take out the heaviest camera and sling it over your shoulder.

For the non-photographers, those that were overweight in their backpack etc were given a plastic bag to carry the excess kilos. Basically all they are worried about is that no carry on bag is heavier than 8 kilos, and are happy for you to have 2 bags (backpack and handbag etc) and a plastic bag.

Off to Lima tomorrow, no doubt my carry-on will be weighed again!

Archived