September? A good month for a cruise?

jumbo336

We went in Sept. a few years ago. It was getting on the chilly side (not cold except walking on a glacier). The weather was great that week, but was told it normally could be rainy that time of year (can't verify that). It's towards the end of cruise season for the area so a bunch of stuff was on clearance sales.

Past the first week, it does have the worse weather potential of the cruise season. You need to be well prepared. Dusk is by 7pm, so with your whale watch priority and the "necessity" of tours- for the extended, closer views, you need to look at the port times.

Humpbacks are seen on 100% of Juneau and Hoonah whale watch tours the entire cruise season. You will need hats and gloves- IF you want to best outside viewing potential.

Hi possibly booking an Alaskan cruise for my 30th wedding anniversary in 2011. However, can someone tell me if September is fine for the cruise? Not too bothered about the weather, but will we see some whales?

Thanks

Dave:)

My DH and I are booked on the Golden for 9/10/11 (I just love that date)! We have an active roll call already. Come join us!

I'm celebrating my 60th birthday.

We went Sept. 7 and it was fine. We saw many whales. If interested, you can read my review on the Alaska board.

Jen in SoCal

Hi possibly booking an Alaskan cruise for my 30th wedding anniversary in 2011. However, can someone tell me if September is fine for the cruise? Not too bothered about the weather, but will we see some whales?

Thanks

Dave:)

Even our Capt told us we had the best weather of the entire 2010 season. :pThe only day we had a little drizzle (about an hour) is when we first arrived in Victoria after our Alaska stops. We had absolutely dark blue cloudless skies, and were in our shirt sleeves by noon most days. :D You do need to pack raingear, gloves hats etc, and even thermies if you intend to view the Glaciers from the open decks on the ship or look for the Aurora B at night when the ship is sailing at 22 knots! Yikes, it does get a bit nippy on the helipad then!!! We had such a good time, we decided to give it another go next Sept. and are willing to take the risk!! Hope you have a great cruise!:)

Jan

• 3 weeks later...

We've heard from several people that it tends to rain and is colder in September, but it didn't bother them and they loved it.

We didn't have a choice, either Sept or not go. So September it is. We are on the 9/10/11 cruise also.

If i did have the choice though I would have went with the 2nd or 3rd cruise in May. More daylight and tends to have better weather.

Hubbie and I sailed RCI in Sep 2009. Not too many whales at all, though we were told "just last week stories" to the point I grew disbelief. The tour guide told us that most of the whales head south (in September) for warmer climes and to either bred or give birth. Her words not mine.

On our Photo tour, we saw some log-looking things in the water that seemed very bothered by us. If we motored closer to them, them swam off. The tour guide said they were sleeping. Made me think the motor noise was bothering them.

The tour guide told us that the breaching whale thing is a mating ritual that occurs in the warm waters like in South America. If the Dh and I ever went back, I think we would shoot for May. My Hubbie's work sch would prevent that, however. So, in a retirement state, we would go back. IMHO.

Have a great cruise.

Hubbie and I sailed RCI in Sep 2009. Not too many whales at all' date=' though we were told "just last week stories" to the point I grew disbelief. The tour guide told us that most of the whales head south (in September) for warmer climes and to either bred or give birth. Her words not mine.

On our Photo tour, we saw some log-looking things in the water that seemed very bothered by us. If we motored closer to them, them swam off. The tour guide said they were sleeping. Made me think the motor noise was bothering them.

The tour guide told us that the breaching whale thing is a mating ritual that occurs in the warm waters like in South America. If the Dh and I ever went back, I think we would shoot for May. My Hubbie's work sch would prevent that, however. So, in a retirement state, we would go back. IMHO.

Have a great cruise.[/quote']

There were plenty of "whales" you just did not see them. It greatly ups your sightings with whale watching and spending a considerable amount of time out on deck, knowing the areas.

Sorry but your "tour guide" was probably a seasonal employee on their first bid in Alaska. Unfortunately your information is inaccurate. The humpbacks do NOT migrate until WELL after the cruise season is over, into November. AND breeching is UNKNOWN.

The tour guide told us that the breaching whale thing is a mating ritual that occurs in the warm waters like in South America.

I've seen lots of breeching humpbacs in Alaska. The humpbacks that winter in South America travel to Antarctica to feed in the summer, not to Alaska. My best whale watching ever in Alaska was on our September 10-24 cruise this year (both humpbacks and orca).

Archived