Hotel Post Cruise San Francisco & Airport Distance

Solara

Our ship comes back into San Francisco so we need a hotel for a post cruise stay for one night. Any recommendations for a hotel that would be close to everything?

How far is the airport from the cruise port & should we fly back from San Francisco & is the airport SFO the best one to use?

Priceline with Fisherman's Wharf Area selection gives the most economical and quite acceptable hotels. If intererested in using Priceline, do a search of this forum and also read the posts and also read forums such as http://biddingfortravel.yuku.com/.

SFO is the best airport to use but Oakland airport can sometimes be economical (although further away) depending on your destination and preferred airline. Pier 35 or a Fisherman's wharf hotel will run you about $50 for a cab to SFO. One can take a trolley car and transfer to BART but for 2 persons, the hassle is not worth the savings. Oakland airport is a bit more by cab -- because of the potential traffic congestion on the Bay Bridge, a fixed price shuttle is preferable to use to go to Oakland Airport. Please post again and you will get more responses from out-of-towners who have a more realistic experience. We use cabs to and from the Pier from within SF.

Our ship comes back into San Francisco so we need a hotel for a post cruise stay for one night. Any recommendations for a hotel that would be close to everything?

How far is the airport from the cruise port & should we fly back from San Francisco & is the airport SFO the best one to use?

Depends what you mean by "close to everything"?

I agree with Sultan that the Wharf area is best for tourists--puts you near Fisherman's Wharf, near the harbor cruises and Alcatraz trips, near one of the Cable Car termini, not too far from Lombard Street or the great restaurants in North Beach...

But, no matter where you stay IN The City, you are not close or convenient to an airport...either SFO or Oakland are a bit out of town...SFO is down the Peninsula a ways, near San Bruno...Oakland Airport is across the bay...

If you wish to take BART to SFO, you can take it right into the Airport (We did this once and it was actually quite convenient--of course, we were staying walking distance from the Montgomery Street Station, so it was a, more or less, direct trip...Of course, for that one, we were there to attend a game at AT&T Park and staying at the Marriott Courtyard, South of Mission...not necessarily where I'd stay after a cruise...Aside from the Wharf area, another hotel we like is the Hilton Financial District on Kearney, right near Chinatown-- not too far from the Cruise Terminal or the sites...

My advice would be to either get a cabn from whatever hotel to SFO...or, if money is a concern, to get a cab from your hotel to the BART...

Getting to Oakland Airport by BART from The City is a little tougher...BART doesn't go there and you have to transfer to a bus to get to the airport...

San Francisco has a wide variety of hotels...from Five Star luxury down to trendy boutique hotels down to no frills motels...So, a question might be what your standards and price range are...

By close to everything I meant since we will only be there for a day the best area to stay so that we didn't waste as much time traveling to see things.

Any hotel recommendations in the Fishermans Wharf area?

How much cheaper is the BART sytem to the airport than taking a cab?

Thanks

BART to the airport is pretty easy, about a 1/2 hour ride at a cost of $8.10. Whenever I'm flying out of SFO I always take BART to the airport. If you have a lot of luggage and are traveling during commute hours it may be a bit tougher. (but there are elevator/escolators at the stations)

http://www.bart.gov/

I wouldn't bother with BART if you are staying at Fisherman's Wharf as there are no stations close by. You would have to cab to a station or go by bus (not pleasant if you have lots of luggage.)

Do a search here for hotels in SF Wharf area to see what people recommend. We usually stay on Lombard Street in Cow Hollow when we visit family, but that is a bit too far from everything for you if you only have one day in the City.

Has anyone stayed at the Columbus Motor Inn in San Francisco near Fisherman's Wharf? We will only be there 1 day & since we have never been there we want to see as much as we can.

How much would a shuttle be to SFO as I guess the BART station is to far away to take it to the airport?

Thanks for the info. How far is the BART station from that hotel?

The Buena Vista on Lombard is about two miles away from the Civic Center BART station. If you want to take BART to the SFO Airport and have not packed light, consider using a cab to get there. Otherwise you can walk to Van Ness and Polk and take the 19 Bus going south and it will drop you off at the BART station.

The Buena Vista on Lombard is about two miles away from the Civic Center BART station. If you want to take BART to the SFO Airport and have not packed light, consider using a cab to get there. Otherwise you can walk to Van Ness and Polk and take the 19 Bus going south and it will drop you off at the BART station.

?? Van Ness and Polk are parallel. Maybe you meant Lombard and Polk? You can also take 49 or 47 on Van Ness to the Van Ness BART station. But I wouldn't attempt to take the bus unless you are packed very light as the buses can get very busy. Here is a MUNI map of that part of the city:

Click on the map to enlarge it. http://transit.511.org/static/providers/maps/SF_10262010100436.gif

I am not sure if the money you may save by BART is worth the hassle if it's just 2 people. A shared van on SuperShuttle is $27 for 2 and a taxi will run you probably $50-60.

A few people have reported getting the Sheraton at the Wharf for $89 on Hotwire for next few months. When are you traveling?

A few people have reported getting the Sheraton at the Wharf for $89 on Hotwire for next few months. When are you traveling?

How can I go about using Hotwire, have never used it before. What were the dates people were getting room there for that price? Thanks!

How can I go about using Hotwire, have never used it before. What were the dates people were getting room there for that price? Thanks!

The dates I have been seeing for $89 at the Sheration Wharf are for the next couple of months. I have been monitoring the SF board on betterbidding for an upcoming trip: http://www.betterbidding.com/index.php?showforum=431&

Hotwire and Priceline are discount hotel websites where you don't see the actual name of the hotel until after you pay. And there are no refunds. That's why the prices are so good.

Hotwire shows you a set discounted price when you search. You can book more than one room and rooms with more than one bed. Based on the neighborhood and amenities of the hotel, you can have a good guess of what the hotel may be. If not, go on betterbidding to ask. I have used Hotwire many times and have been very happy with the hotels. I try not to get anything under 4 stars.

Priceline seems to have better prices but it only guarantees for double occupany. Fine if you are just a couple. There are many nuanced ways people suggest you submit your bid. I've only used it once and it is still a little conufusing to me. But others here can probably give you better idea. This page is a good primer on Priceline:

http://biddingfortravel.yuku.com/topic/2560/t/Hotel-FAQ.html

?? Van Ness and Polk are parallel. Maybe you meant Lombard and Polk? You can also take 49 or 47 on Van Ness to the Van Ness BART station. But I wouldn't attempt to take the bus unless you are packed very light as the buses can get very busy. Here is a MUNI map of that part of the city:

Click on the map to enlarge it. http://transit.511.org/static/providers/maps/SF_10262010100436.gif

Only Muni serves Van Ness. BART does not go there.

That said, if you want a real challenge, Van Ness is not only one stop away from the Civic Center BART Station (inbound to the Financial District) it is also on 3 lines going the other direction (J, K and M) that wind up at the Balboa Park BART station. Also, Van Ness can be a real zoo at times.

Only Muni serves Van Ness. BART does not go there.

That said, if you want a real challenge, Van Ness is not only one stop away from the Civic Center BART Station (inbound to the Financial District) it is also on 3 lines going the other direction (J, K and M) that wind up at the Balboa Park BART station. Also, Van Ness can be a real zoo at times.

Thanks for the correction! It's been a couple of years since I rode BART, though I grew up in SF and went to college in the area and used BART/MUNI until I finally got my driver's license at age 22 :rolleyes:. I think for people not used to public transportation, MUNI/BART with luggage is a challenge no matter what.

• 1 month later...
I just found out that we are docking at Pier 27. How far is it to get to the Sheraton Fisherman's Wharf from the pier? Also what is the best way to get to the hotel from the pier?

The Sheraton is about 3/4 of mile from pier 27. So it is walkable depending on how much luggage you have, or just grab a cab.

Pier 27 about a 1/3 south of pier 35.

Archived