bartering

cruisingrookie

we're going eastern caribbean in May and I was wondering where you *can't* bargain there? I got the feeling that even in the stores there's some leeway as far as pricetags and what you can *get* things for? does anyone have any specific strategies for this (as far as what percentage you can usually get the vendors to lower their actual prices)?

Bartering and negotiating or haggling are different things.

Barter means to exchange goods. So no, you don't barter because the merchants / vendors don't want more stuff. Ocassionally you might be able to convince someone to trade but that would be rare.

Haggling or negotiating means to discuss price -- hopefully in an effort to convince the vendor to lower the price. This is expected and acceptable. Rarely do people pay "sticker" price in these markets.

Haggling is a favorite of mine and my husband and my 15 yr old. Though we have never haggled outside USA. We love to have a little competition and it's become a little family contest.It is possible to haggle more than half way down on price but you always need to be very polite. They will hardly ever except that price, but every once in a while you get lucky. Make sure you go up in small increments and somewhere in between you will hopefully meet. Some times you even may walk away and change your mind and people will come after you. Good luck and hope you get a good bargain.

A good rule of thumb is to get an idea of what an item is worth, or the maximum you wish to pay for it in your head, then offer 10% below that. That gives you some room to haggle. So, if you see an item marked $80 and you are willing to pay $50, offer $45. Be willing to walk away. Sometimes that's all it takes for your offer to be accepted. If not, there are plenty of other stores carrying similar merchandise. If it is a big ticket item you seek, do some comparison shopping before you leave home so you know what similar items are worth.

Archived