Need advise on best time Transatlantic cruises

travelberlin

Hi dear CC members,

we are considering a transatlantic from Florida or Brasil to Europe next year. Options are either in March, April or May. I would rather prefer to arrive in Europe in May when the weather is not too cold. Can you please advise us what type of weather could we expect in April or May during the transatlantic? Is there any chance of huracans?

Thanks a lot in advance

Travelberlin

Hi dear CC members,

we are considering a transatlantic from Florida or Brasil to Europe next year. Options are either in March, April or May. I would rather prefer to arrive in Europe in May when the weather is not too cold. Can you please advise us what type of weather could we expect in April or May during the transatlantic? Is there any chance of huracans?

Thanks a lot in advance

Travelberlin

Our eastbound transatlantics have been in both April and May. We have never run into a storm but have had both warm weather and flat seas and cold weather in rolling to high seas (25 ft. plus but the ship handled it well). We did a northern crossing on the Constellation once and the captain kept us between two weather systems and the seas were just rolling. The 25+ ft. was during a southerly crossing and it was from the Azores to Amsterdam where we had the high seas. You just never can tell about the weather or the sea conditions. That is not the time of the year for hurricanes so I would not worry about that. The funny thing is that we have not encountered much in the way of rain. I think you will enjoy the crossing. Good luck!

Hi dear CC members,

Thanks a lot in advance

Travelberlin

You should have good weather in May. We took Solstice over in April 2009, and the weather was in the 70's once we got into the Med. We hit a day or two of weather, but the ship rides really well. We didn't feel too much. Chances of hurricanes is minimal.

I like the Solstice 1 May2011 itinerary if you are concerned with weather. You will be in mostly Southern Spanish ports, and the weather should be very favorable in May.

Travelled west in later Oct. The seas were calm and we had no rain. On our western Med cruise really only had two bad weather days the entire trip before we journeyed from the Azores to Florida. Still weather one trip could certainly change on the next one. I would definitely do a transatlantic trip again. Loved the combination of sightseeing and a chance to rest and enjoy the ship.

It might make a difference where you are sailing to. We did the North Atlantic to Hamburg in April and we had maybe two slightly rough days but the rest of the time it was fairly calm. It was also cold enough that we didn't even go out on our balcony some days. I would think if you are sailing into the Mediterranean it would be much warmer than ours was even in April.

We've done two eastbound transAtlantics, and some half dozen westbound.

Our 1st eastbound was late Mar 98, on the late great Royal Princess, Buenos Aires Argentina to Barcelona Spain. We had very calm seas and good weather for that nineteen night cruise.

Our 2nd eastbound was late Mar 08, on Oceania's Regatta, Miami Florida to Barcelona Spain, with moderate seas and fair to good weather.

Our westbounds have ranged from mild chop or roll, to gale force storms with heavy seas.

All that said, we prefer westbounds, for the 25 hr days. The 23 hr days on the eastbounds is harder on our internal body clocks.

Our this year Mid April Ruby Princesss Crossing from Fort Lauderdale to Barcelona this past May the ocean was smooth as a pond. Ironically the only rough day was when we were cruising the Med after our Atlantic crossing, the very last night of our cruise, when we hit a storm Monaco to Barcelona.

We just got off a westbound transatlantic a few days ago, Celebrity Century Barcelona to Miami, and it also was totally smooth the whole crossing until we got near the Caribbean near Tomas. Even then, the captain speeded up to avoid the storm, and we only had rain, winds, and bumpy seas, not terribly rough.

From what we experienced, and from everyone says, the South Atlantic crossing are most often quite smooth.

Ellie

Archived